2014 Sec 4 Discussions

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Help with O'levels 2014

Postby dreamerz718 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi Everyone!

I would like to post a lengthy confession, or'd rather a 'rant' here and seek advice from other fellow students and parents.
I'm a secondary 4 express student in a Top second-tier/ low first-tier secondary school. My O'levels are coming up next year and my goal is to be a single-point scorer although I have little interest in the JC path.

I've been well motivated for my Secondary 3 EOYs with considerable leap in results, however still rather mediocre as compared to my peers. I'm dedicating my holidays to brush up my A-math and biology in which I did not do as well for the year.

However, I have a problem. I am extremely unmotivated to study. Starting and sitting down with my books is no problem, but actually being productive is another issue. I feel extremely tired everyday and I lack focus.
One main reason is also because I do not actually know how to study, I am often confused on what is the best possible way to study. I am lost and then I try new methods and give up halfway. At the end of the day, I'm going around in mere circles, which frustrates me to no end.
So far, I have to grimly admit that I have been unproductive. I feel that I cannot work well during the holidays, I like to be pushed by classes and school. I can focus well in tuition classes, but when it comes to my own revision, I'm rather lost and unsure of what to do. My peers are simply brush off that they aren't studying this holidays and tells me not to worry (but who knows?).
My parents are one that doesn't believe much in tuition. If I focus better when made to go to class, I'm also searching for some crash courses this holidays which can help with my Pure sciences (Chem,bio) english, a/e math and my social studies which are affordable so I can persuade my parents more easily.
Is it only an excuse to say that I need school to get me back into the 'study mood'? I honestly feel that this 'theory' although it seems like an excuse, really applies to me. I need to be pushed. I feel envious when my peers complain about the 'classes' their parents had signed them up for.
I'm big on future plans, higher/tertiary education excites me and I cannot wait to move on past the secondary school level. Sadly, dreaming and fantasizing will get me no where.
Despite everything, I need a solution. How to curb my procrastination and my unmotivated attitude? Despite my desire to receive poly education and further my studies in the states, my actions currently does not reflect a chance for me to get a single pointer O-level certificate.

It would be extremely kind if anyone were to provide some insight and advice for me to open my eyes, or some cold hard sense knocked into me.
Or any good holiday courses and classes that I can sign up for.

Thank you.

dreamerz718
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby Parenthelper » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi.I am not really sure if these tips would help you out but I will try my best to assist you. :smile:

The first thing you could try is making a To-Do list.Whether you are procrastinating or not,a list would assist you.Its all about the psychology.When you write down a list of items to do,you check which tasks are the easiest.After you're done with those,check those tasks off your list.By checking the completed tasks off your list,it boosts your confidence and motivates you to complete more of the tasks.

Secondly,you could do is to make mindmaps.It may seem too easy or simple but it may assist you if you are good at visualisation or more of an artistic person.Mindmaps helps to summarise large chunk of words into a phrase.

Third,have the right studying solutions.Review previous quizzes, assignments, papers, labs, etc. to pinpoint where you've had difficulty in the lesson. Make sure you understand that material since you may see it again in the next exam.
Learn by doing. Do practice questions based on old exams, or create and answer your own test questions.
Write practice exams under exam-like conditions (timed and with your books closed).
Study in small chunks of time when possible. Two-hour blocks with a 15-minute break work well for many people.
Study with a group if that works for you, but choose study partners who have the same general level of knowledge of course material and commitment to the course.

Lastly,of course,is to have a good and enthusiastic attitude towards learning.Its gonna be much harder to learn if you are hating on the subject every single day.

Hope these help and if they didn't,you know where to search for some helpful tips(through google,howcast,wikihelp,etc.).I wish you all the best and good luck! :lol:
Keep a regular schedule. Be sure to eat right, get enough sleep, and take time to exercise.

Parenthelper
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:37 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby dreamerz718 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Parenthelper wrote:Hi.I am not really sure if these tips would help you out but I will try my best to assist you. :smile:

The first thing you could try is making a To-Do list.Whether you are procrastinating or not,a list would assist you.Its all about the psychology.When you write down a list of items to do,you check which tasks are the easiest.After you're done with those,check those tasks off your list.By checking the completed tasks off your list,it boosts your confidence and motivates you to complete more of the tasks.

Secondly,you could do is to make mindmaps.It may seem too easy or simple but it may assist you if you are good at visualisation or more of an artistic person.Mindmaps helps to summarise large chunk of words into a phrase.

Third,have the right studying solutions.Review previous quizzes, assignments, papers, labs, etc. to pinpoint where you've had difficulty in the lesson. Make sure you understand that material since you may see it again in the next exam.
Learn by doing. Do practice questions based on old exams, or create and answer your own test questions.
Write practice exams under exam-like conditions (timed and with your books closed).
Study in small chunks of time when possible. Two-hour blocks with a 15-minute break work well for many people.
Study with a group if that works for you, but choose study partners who have the same general level of knowledge of course material and commitment to the course.

Lastly,of course,is to have a good and enthusiastic attitude towards learning.Its gonna be much harder to learn if you are hating on the subject every single day.

Hope these help and if they didn't,you know where to search for some helpful tips(through google,howcast,wikihelp,etc.).I wish you all the best and good luck! :lol:
Keep a regular schedule. Be sure to eat right, get enough sleep, and take time to exercise.


Hi! Thank you for the kind advice. I will keep these in mind

dreamerz718
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby M-Help » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:29 am

Dreamerz718

After reading your interesting post, my thoughts are (pardon my frankness):

- you have a deep rooted desire to do well. This is really good. This trait in itself will be a good motivator for everything you undertake, not just for your study. Having such a trait in you will drive you to do well in your future career. All employers will love to have such an employee.
- though you have the 'heart' in wanting to do well, you do not have the 'mind' to follow the same path as your 'heart'. I believe this is attributed to the fact that you have not been seeing good results. When one cannot do something well, he/she will lose the interest in continue doing it no matter how strong his/her desire is. E.g, when you pick up and start learning a sport game, your first desire is that you will be able to pick up the necessary skills in a short time, and turn yourself into a very good player. However, when you gradually realize you cannot master the skills, your interest will drop drastically and you feel like giving up, though your desire to play well in the game is still there. When one is 'conscious but incompetent', your motivation will not be there. When you reach a 'conscious and competent' stage, your motivation will naturally come.
- how to reach the 'conscious and competent' stage, the only way is to practise, practise, and practise. You have no choice but to just force yourself to practise with hardwork, no matter how frustrated you are during this phase. This really is a matter of self discipline and self control. Once you see the results gradually coming, your motivation will get stronger and stronger.
- tuition, lessons, etc are just the tools to help you to practise, and eventually master the skills.
- hence, DESIRE (wanting to do well) -> SKILL DEVELOPMENT (practise to become competent) -> RESULTS -> REWARDS -> MOTIVATION

Hope this helps.

M-Help
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:56 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby PhysicsTeacher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:16 am

Focus and tenacious are two very importance traits for independent learning. The former is the ability to concentrate for extended period of time, the latter is the ability to sustain energy to continually overcoming barriers in learning. Few students have them naturally, and they are mostly gifted. Many more need to develop this. I tuition session force you to focus; a good tutor might help guide you to develop this tenacity of facing difficult problems. No harm give it a try. It may work.

PhysicsTeacher
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 98
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:19 pm
Total Likes: 4



Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby Feraldkid21 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:52 am

Hi!
I just completed my O levels and I feel that you shouldn't get so obsessed with preparing for your Os now. The more you stress on the fact that your nationals are up and coming,the more horrid you'll feel! Take your remaining holidays to chillax,freshen up your mind and body,and when the year starts,you'll be more than ready to revise,study and tackle the big obstacle known as your O levels! :)

Cheers,
Feraldkid21

Feraldkid21
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:35 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby dreamerz718 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:52 pm

Feraldkid21 wrote:Hi!
I just completed my O levels and I feel that you shouldn't get so obsessed with preparing for your Os now. The more you stress on the fact that your nationals are up and coming,the more horrid you'll feel! Take your remaining holidays to chillax,freshen up your mind and body,and when the year starts,you'll be more than ready to revise,study and tackle the big obstacle known as your O levels! :)

Cheers,
Feraldkid21


hi! thanks for the positive encouragement ^^

dreamerz718
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby LarryG67 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 pm

since there's still 1 year to go, you can try to read some motivation books like 7 effective habits and all that. maybe it will help.

motivation must come from within. because an academic journey is a really long one and short spur or short term motivation will maybe help you for 1-2 months before you start to become normal again.

one way which i like to think it is that you must put in the hard work sooner or later. if you play now, next time you will have to work hard, maybe even all your life. if you work hard now, you will get to enjoy next time (assuming good health). so since you have youth on your side, you can achieve a lot. once you old with all sorts of responsibilities and burdens, you will find it hard to spin out of the work cycle already. hope this helps

LarryG67
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:28 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby zbear » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:07 am

LarryG67 wrote:if you play now, next time you will have to work hard, maybe even all your life. if you work hard now, you will get to enjoy next time (assuming good health). so since you have youth on your side, you can achieve a lot. once you old with all sorts of responsibilities and burdens, you will find it hard to spin out of the work cycle already. hope this helps



I agree with you n I always tell my kids that. Work hard now n you will enjoy your fruits later.

Yes, take advantage of youth n energy to generate all the benefits that come with hard work.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 4991
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:14 pm
Total Likes: 64


Re: Help with O'levels 2014

Postby ReachTutor » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:01 am

dreamerz718 wrote:Hi Everyone!

I would like to post a lengthy confession, or'd rather a 'rant' here and seek advice from other fellow students and parents.
I'm a secondary 3 express student in a Top second-tier/ low first-tier secondary school. My O'levels are coming up next year and my goal is to be a single-point scorer although I have little interest in the JC path.

I've been well motivated for my Secondary 3 EOYs with considerable leap in results, however still rather mediocre as compared to my peers. I'm dedicating my holidays to brush up my A-math and biology in which I did not do as well for the year.

However, I have a problem. I am extremely unmotivated to study. Starting and sitting down with my books is no problem, but actually being productive is another issue. I feel extremely tired everyday and I lack focus.
One main reason is also because I do not actually know how to study, I am often confused on what is the best possible way to study. I am lost and then I try new methods and give up halfway. At the end of the day, I'm going around in mere circles, which frustrates me to no end.
I have tried recalling my study techniques during PSLE days but I'm rather certain it is not as applicable and as helpful. It then makes me realise the fact that I've been surviving in secondary school without an actual clue as to how to study effectively.
So far, I have to grimly admit that I have been unproductive. I feel that I cannot work well during the holidays, I like to be pushed by classes and school. I can focus well in tuition classes, but when it comes to my own revision, I'm rather lost and unsure of what to do. My peers are simply brush off that they aren't studying this holidays and tells me not to worry (but who knows?).
My parents are one that doesn't believe much in tuition. If I focus better when made to go to class, I'm also searching for some crash courses this holidays which can help with my Pure sciences (Chem,bio) english, a/e math and my social studies which are affordable so I can persuade my parents more easily.
Is it only an excuse to say that I need school to get me back into the 'study mood'? I honestly feel that this 'theory' although it seems like an excuse, really applies to me. I need to be pushed. I feel envious when my peers complain about the 'classes' their parents had signed them up for.
I'm big on future plans, higher/tertiary education excites me and I cannot wait to move on past the secondary school level. Sadly, dreaming and fantasizing will get me no where.
Despite everything, I need a solution. How to curb my procrastination and my unmotivated attitude? Despite my desire to receive poly education and further my studies in the states, my actions currently does not reflect a chance for me to get a single pointer O-level certificate.

It would be extremely kind if anyone were to provide some insight and advice for me to open my eyes, or some cold hard sense knocked into me.
Or any good holiday courses and classes that I can sign up for.

Thank you.


You are quite like me. We share common similarities of being such good procrastinator, :sweat: yet we dream big and set our goals on high targets. I might be able to help you in some of the subjects, since I've been through your phase not too long ago. Do PM me if you're interested and we can see whether we can work something out. No worries, no obligations so feel free to drop me a PM when you're free from school! :boogie:

ReachTutor
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 am
Total Likes: 0


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support