O-Level Chemistry

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
Post Reply
deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 981
Joined: Tue Jul 29,
Total Likes:2

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by deardear07 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:53 am

triciaagg wrote:
yuki2010 wrote:
J.mommy wrote:hi, anyone has very good chemistry tutor to recommend for Sec 4 pure chem student?
I recommend Mr Wong, very experienced, former NYGH and ACSI teacher if I'm not wrong. He teaches in small group class at future acadmey. I'll pm you his link if you are interested.
Please give me his contact. Thanks!
hi, checking out the centre n the price seems 'wow' so expensive... is that the market rate to be paid?

funnygummyyummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jul 01,

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by funnygummyyummy » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:12 pm

deardear07 wrote:
hi, checking out the centre n the price seems 'wow' so expensive... is that the market rate to be paid?
how much is that?

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 981
Joined: Tue Jul 29,
Total Likes:2

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by deardear07 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:42 am

funnygummyyummy wrote:
deardear07 wrote:
hi, checking out the centre n the price seems 'wow' so expensive... is that the market rate to be paid?
how much is that?
https://www.fa.edu.sg/tuition-fees/

for secondary level, $110/lesson for the promotional package. otherwise $120.. this is group tuition... so im not sure if this is market rate.

JosephCS
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 31,

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by JosephCS » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:25 pm

it's quite close to market rate, on higher side though. myself is home tutor, rate for group tuition at centres has been climbing. The other option is group tuition at home, if student can find friend/sibling/cousin together. Rate is lower and closer attention by experienced tutor.

blur_elmo
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 17
Joined: Fri Oct 03,

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by blur_elmo » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:09 am

Anyone giving "All about Chemistry O Level textbook by Hodder? or at least selling cheap? Thank you


winterman05
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Jan 17,

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by winterman05 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:27 am

Can someone share some study technique for Pure Chemistry? What are the things to look out for? What are the good assessment books that we can get? thanks!

Pand
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jan 01,
Total Likes:1

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by Pand » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm

If you really want to score A
1) Read every chapter..(notes given by your teacher) .. add your own notes..
2) Download syllabus from SEAB website and run through what you need to know for that particular topic
3) Try 10 year series
4) Try IGSCE or Edexcel questions.. can find in the internet
5) Try other school exam paper.. can also download.
6) at any time, if you do not know how to answer a question.. ask your teacher... ( then add the question to your notes)
If you do this.. you will do fine... ( Finally.. do a time practice.. to make sure you can manage your time)

happyfeet20001
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Jul 29,

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by happyfeet20001 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Pand wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm
If you really want to score A
1) Read every chapter..(notes given by your teacher) .. add your own notes..
2) Download syllabus from SEAB website and run through what you need to know for that particular topic
3) Try 10 year series
4) Try IGSCE or Edexcel questions.. can find in the internet
5) Try other school exam paper.. can also download.
6) at any time, if you do not know how to answer a question.. ask your teacher... ( then add the question to your notes)
If you do this.. you will do fine... ( Finally.. do a time practice.. to make sure you can manage your time)
thanks for the advice! but just wondering, IGSCE or Edexcel syllabus are also tested in O-level? I heard from people saying they are totally differnet

Pand
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Jan 01,
Total Likes:1

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by Pand » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:18 pm

happyfeet20001 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:52 pm
Pand wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm
If you really want to score A
1) Read every chapter..(notes given by your teacher) .. add your own notes..
2) Download syllabus from SEAB website and run through what you need to know for that particular topic
3) Try 10 year series
4) Try IGSCE or Edexcel questions.. can find in the internet
5) Try other school exam paper.. can also download.
6) at any time, if you do not know how to answer a question.. ask your teacher... ( then add the question to your notes)
If you do this.. you will do fine... ( Finally.. do a time practice.. to make sure you can manage your time)
thanks for the advice! but just wondering, IGSCE or Edexcel syllabus are also tested in O-level? I heard from people saying they are totally differnet
The syllabus are definitely not exactly the same.. but most of the syllabus are aligned. You child just need to look at the questions, they will know if it is something they have learnt or not... anyway got detailed answers for you to check.

autolycus
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Posts: 599
Joined: Mon Jan 04,
Total Likes:2

Re: O-Level Chemistry

Post by autolycus » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:04 pm

There are just three main areas a student needs to grasp in order to master O-level Chemistry (or actually, Chemistry at any level). Think of these three things as 'filters' that are used singly or together to understand what's going on.

1. Electronic effects: Where are the electrons and what are they doing?
2. Steric effects: What is the role of shape, size, mass and position of the particles?
3. Math: What is the mathematics to be used, and what does it describe?

You can get the syllabi for different exam boards from the internet, but all of them benefit from this kind of understanding. I once had a class with an average PSLE score of 220, and all of them got As. It is not difficult; it just requires consistent application of these three things.

Post Reply