HMT in Secondary

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

HMT in Secondary

Postby hesiew » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:36 pm

Can you advise what are the pros and cons of taking HMT in Secondary. I desperately needed to consider carefully for my daughter as she is not interested in Chinese by managed to be offered HMT cos she is in the top 10% cohort. She scored A for MT and Pass for HMT in PSLE. Thanks :idea:

hesiew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby caroline3sg » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:56 pm

MOE anyhow do things. :x

My girl got A for chinese & merit for HMT. But she is not offered HMT in sec sch.

I called MOE before seeing your post. MOE said I can indicate HMT when registration at posted sch. Already not happy with such additional thing to do. The problem is, I want to appeal to the first choice sch and HMT class may be full if got into the sch eventually.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:18 pm

caroline3sg wrote:MOE anyhow do things. :x

My girl got A for chinese & merit for HMT. But she is not offered HMT in sec sch.

I called MOE before seeing your post. MOE said I can indicate HMT when registration at posted sch. Already not happy with such additional thing to do. The problem is, I want to appeal to the first choice sch and HMT class may be full if got into the sch eventually.

Caroline,

HMT is offered to those ranked top 10% OR those ranked top 11-30% if they score A* in MTL and at least a merit in HMTL. What's your dd's aggregate? Is she in the top 11-30%? If not, having an A in MTL or Merit in HMTL will not automatically qualify her for HMTL in Secondary school, although she can appeal at her posted school.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Augmum » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:27 pm

caroline3sg wrote:MOE anyhow do things. :x

Don’t be annoy by MOE. they cannot suka suka one………everything goes by “rules of eligibility".

Extracted from the net fyi, it is exactly what turquoise trying to say.

Q: What are the eligibility criteria for taking HMTL?
1. Top 10% PSLE pupils

OR
2.Top 11 – 30% PSLE pupils with an A* in the Mother Tongue Language (MTL) or at least a MERIT in the Higher Mother Tongue Language (HMTL)

Augmum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby hesiew » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi all, please help in my original questions, what are the advantages of taking HMT in Sec? I understand below 2 advantages, correct?
1) If you pass HMT at "O" level, no need to take Chinese in JC
2) HMT student get to -2 from the L1R5 aggregate

hesiew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Jennifer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:21 pm

hesiew wrote:Hi all, please help in my original questions, what are the advantages of taking HMT in Sec? I understand below 2 advantages, correct?

The incentives for taking HMT in sec sec is clearly spelled out in the booklet "Choosing your sec sch part one" under 2.6 on page 6.

Your understanding is accurate. Just take note of 2.6a where it is stated that priority for admission to a JC/MI will be given to a pupil with EL and HMT who scores the same number of points as one with EL and MT.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hesiew » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:45 pm

Thank Jennifer for your reference. Sounds good to take the subject. :D

hesiew
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby VitoRelax » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:06 pm

When we enrol on Dec 23, must we decide whether to take HMT ?

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mathsparks » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:53 pm

hesiew wrote:Hi all, please help in my original questions, what are the advantages of taking HMT in Sec? I understand below 2 advantages, correct?

just to add,
for point 1, those who do well in HMT at o level may also continue taking chinese in jc since it's their strong subject and they would like to include in the points for uni entry.

for point 2, hmt students can minus 2 provided he/she scores a1-c6 for both hmt and english.

mathsparks
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby VitoRelax » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:36 am

mathsparks wrote:

just to add,
for point 1, those who do well in HMT at o level may also continue taking chinese in jc since it's their strong subject and they would like to include in the points for uni entry.

for point 2, hmt students can minus 2 provided he/she scores a1-c6 for both hmt and english.

Jus wondering, is there such a thing as Higher English ?

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support