History/ Geography

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

History/ Geography

Postby kitty2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:08 am

Anyone can share which subject is easier to study or score for o level? They seem tough to score though :smile:

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: History/ Geography

Postby janet88 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:48 am

brought son to popular yesterday...got him to take a look at sec 3 history & geography books. he is more keen in taking history next year.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:53 am

What's covered in upper sec history nowadays?

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:09 am

bb_ mom wrote:What's covered in upper sec history nowadays?

I brought him to the textbook section...made him stay there to go through the textbooks, make a comparison because HE will be the one studying.
history at upper sec is on hitler.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby zbear » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:01 pm

kitty2 wrote:Anyone can share which subject is easier to study or score for o level? They seem tough to score though :smile:

I don't think there is any subject that is easier to study or score. It all depends on individuals. If you like the subject, its easy to study n score.

Both my kids hate Geography n no matter how hard they try, they can never score. But come to History, its a different story. I am not saying they score As but at least they can get a decent grade.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:05 pm

zbear wrote:
kitty2 wrote:Anyone can share which subject is easier to study or score for o level? They seem tough to score though :smile:

I don't think there is any subject that is easier to study or score. It all depends on individuals. If you like the subject, its easy to study n score.

Both my kids hate Geography n no matter how hard they try, they can never score. But come to History, its a different story. I am not saying they score As but at least they can get a decent grade.

:goodpost:
it really boils down to interest especially since they are the ones sitting for O levels. sec 1 & 2 is really a good gauge to let them have a feel of where their interest is.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:16 pm

protutor wrote:I took Geography in secondary school as I find it easier to study since the knowledge acquired from Geography can be easily applied to today's environment. During my time, upper sec Geography is broken down into physical (natural vegetation, rivers) and human geography.

can't remember which component of geography my son dislikes...whether physical or human....very surprised he likes history since sec 1.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:39 pm

zbear wrote:

Agreed! The problem is one of these subjects will be combined with SS if one is not taking pure hist/geo. SS a lot of memory work if one would to take history ,their brain may not be able to take it. Heard SS is tough and not easy to score so the other subject must be strong

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bb_ mom » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:41 pm

So if take pure history then no need to take social studies? I thought SS is compulsory? So much changes to the secondary system since my time. Good thing still have another year before DD needs to think about this. Gives me time to research.

bb_ mom
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kitty2 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:32 pm

bb_ mom wrote:So if take pure history then no need to take social studies? I thought SS is compulsory? So much changes to the secondary system since my time. Good thing still have another year before DD needs to think about this. Gives me time to research.

If take pure history ,one still need to take SS,you are right to say SS is a compulsory subject. I am looking at elective hist/geo not pure hist/ geo.if one takes pure, SS will not be affected.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support