Secondary School Literature

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:63

Post by autumnbronze » Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:53 am

VitoRelax wrote:Just wondering, is it compulsory to study literature Sec schools ?
Hi VitoRelax,

To my knowledge, yes for Sec 1 and 2 E and NA classes.

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:2

Post by VitoRelax » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:28 am

autumnbronze wrote:
VitoRelax wrote:Just wondering, is it compulsory to study literature Sec schools ?
Hi VitoRelax,

To my knowledge, yes for Sec 1 and 2 E and NA classes.
OMG ...

sereintoby
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Help for Literature?

Post by sereintoby » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:41 pm

Need academic support for your child’s studies? Hard Finding a suitable tutor?

Here’s help!

Achieving the optimal for Singapore’s next generation since 2003 .

Experienced ,Disabled and Graduate Tutor offers a wide range of subjects that Caters to your budget! and at Flexible Timing !

-Works best for children who are hardworking, highly motivated and obedient .

-Lower Sec: (English, Maths, Science, Chinese, Geography and English Literature) The fourth subject is free when you enrol in three subjects.

-Upper Sec : (English, Maths, Science, Chinese, Geography and English Literature ) The fourth subject is free when you enrol in three subjects.

-A Levels : (General Paper , English Literature, Geography and Economics.)The fourth subject is free when you enrol in three subjects.

Tutor’s contacts : email sereintoby@hotmail.com (Toby ) early to avoid disappointment!

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by daisyt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:19 am

autumnbronze wrote:Here my list:
1. Julius Ceasar (familiar with "et tu, Brutus")
2. Things Fall Apart (excellent book if you want an introduction to the African culture (eg practice of circumcision, tribal culture etc..)
Mine the same as you, one more to add - Empire of the Sun

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by micko07 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:07 am

Some of my Lit books over the years:
Sec 1 - Animal Farm
Sec 2 - Romeo and Juliet, To Kill A Mockingbird
Sec 3 - Emma
Sec 4 - Pride and Prejudice, Julius Caesar
J1/ J2 - Wuthering Heights, Hamlet, Selected Poetry by John Donne, Songs and Sonnets by Shakespeare, Proof

I'm sure I missed out on some though ... :(

My impression is appreciating Literature cannot be "taught". It's a skill you acquire through practice over time. I'm actually quite bad at it (my poetry analysis is dreadful!) but my tutors have instilled a great respect in me for the subject. I never appreciated Literature until I studied it this year (NYGH offers Language Arts from Sec 1 -4, which is a combination of both Lit and EL, but I didn't take Pure Lit in Sec 3/4).

Some of my personal tips:
1) Google/ Sparknote/ Popular, whatever. Go and read as much as you can on the books. Essays, background of the authors, the era of literature etc will help you in your overall understanding of the text. Don't be lazy; do notes!

2) READ YOUR TEXTS. Yes, it's annoying to read the authentic, unabridged copy of Shakespeare because you need to keep referring to the annotations. READ IT. Even in open book exams, knowing your text well helps you to select the relevant extracts quickly. If it's closed book, better memorize quotes.

3) Pace yourself. Make sure you have sufficient time for all the questions.

4) In exams, read the question, underlining key instructions. Then read the extract. Refer to the requirements of the question and annotate accordingly. Make sure you answer the question (this is the most important factor and a huge reason why I didn't do well in Humanities for a long time)

5) If you don't get the poem/ prose the first time round, nevermind. Read again and stay calm. Don't rush into answering the question because woe betide you if you realize that your analysis is wrong only midway through the answer. Teachers KNOW if you made a mistake initially.

6) Be organized. Group your response based on the question. For example, if a question asks you to compare and contrast two poems, decide how you want to do it. By theme? By rhyme scheme? By tone? Literary devices? Choice of words? Persona? Poem Structure? This makes your answer clearer and also makes sure that you don't repeat yourself.

7) Practice, practice, practice. (I find this works well for poems especially). Borrow model answers from your friends. Read literature guides. Speak to your teachers if you need help/ advice.

8) Teachers do not want to see you copy and paste whole chunks of extracts. What they want is insights and analysis. If you want to quote something, make sure you're not quoting for the sake of quoting, which is ultimately a waste of time.

9) Dont impose your views/ opinions/ prejudices on the poem/ prose. Analyze it for what it is, not what you think it is. Never assume. (Said by my tutor)

10) Appreciate Literature for what it is. For all the times I spend fretting about my grades, literature truly imparts critical thinking skills that no other subject can. It teaches you to think and really question, down to the subtleties and little nuances in tone and language.

11) Think positive. If you've already decided you don't like it, chances are you wouldn't like it at all. Give Literature a chance. Even if your grades sux like mine did, there's still something to gain from it all. Might as well milk it for all it's worth and enjoy it as much as you can!

12) A good command of the English language and good vocabulary is helpful in Literature because it helps you to express yourself and your ideas better. At the very least, teachers wouldn't be so annoyed picking out grammatical and spelling mistakes! (I know I drove my HCL teacher mad with all my cuo zi :oops:)

Hehe just my 2cts worth. I'm not good at Lit but I'm trying to enjoy it. My tutors are absolutely awesome though (they can analyze so much from just one page that it puts us all to shame), which helps tremendously.

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Post by autumnbronze » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:10 am

daisyt wrote:
autumnbronze wrote:Here my list:
1. Julius Ceasar (familiar with "et tu, Brutus")
2. Things Fall Apart (excellent book if you want an introduction to the African culture (eg practice of circumcision, tribal culture etc..)
Mine the same as you, one more to add - Empire of the Sun
okie, remember some more tests I taught ...

Red Sky in the morning - Sec 1
The River Between - Sec 4
Little Village By the Sea - Sec 4 (I think, many yrs back)

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Post by autumnbronze » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:12 am

micko07 wrote:Some of my Lit books over the years:
Sec 1 - Animal Farm
Sec 2 - Romeo and Juliet, To Kill A Mockingbird
Sec 3 - Emma
Sec 4 - Pride and Prejudice, Julius Caesar
J1/ J2 - Wuthering Heights, Hamlet, Selected Poetry by John Donne, Songs and Sonnets by Shakespeare, Proof

I'm sure I missed out on some though ... :(

My impression is appreciating Literature cannot be "taught". It's a skill you acquire through practice over time. I'm actually quite bad at it (my poetry analysis is dreadful!) but my tutors have instilled a great respect in me for the subject. I never appreciated Literature until I studied it this year (NYGH offers Language Arts from Sec 1 -4, which is a combination of both Lit and EL, but I didn't take Pure Lit in Sec 3/4).

Some of my personal tips:
1) Google/ Sparknote/ Popular, whatever. Go and read as much as you can on the books. Essays, background of the authors, the era of literature etc will help you in your overall understanding of the text. Don't be lazy; do notes!

2) READ YOUR TEXTS. Yes, it's annoying to read the authentic, unabridged copy of Shakespeare because you need to keep referring to the annotations. READ IT. Even in open book exams, knowing your text well helps you to select the relevant extracts quickly. If it's closed book, better memorize quotes.

3) Pace yourself. Make sure you have sufficient time for all the questions.

4) In exams, read the question, underlining key instructions. Then read the extract. Refer to the requirements of the question and annotate accordingly. Make sure you answer the question (this is the most important factor and a huge reason why I didn't do well in Humanities for a long time)

5) If you don't get the poem/ prose the first time round, nevermind. Read again and stay calm. Don't rush into answering the question because woe betide you if you realize that your analysis is wrong only midway through the answer. Teachers KNOW if you made a mistake initially.

6) Be organized. Group your response based on the question. For example, if a question asks you to compare and contrast two poems, decide how you want to do it. By theme? By rhyme scheme? By tone? Literary devices? Choice of words? Persona? Poem Structure? This makes your answer clearer and also makes sure that you don't repeat yourself.

7) Practice, practice, practice. (I find this works well for poems especially). Borrow model answers from your friends. Read literature guides. Speak to your teachers if you need help/ advice.

8) Teachers do not want to see you copy and paste whole chunks of extracts. What they want is insights and analysis. If you want to quote something, make sure you're not quoting for the sake of quoting, which is ultimately a waste of time.

9) Dont impose your views/ opinions/ prejudices on the poem/ prose. Analyze it for what it is, not what you think it is. Never assume. (Said by my tutor)

10) Appreciate Literature for what it is. For all the times I spend fretting about my grades, literature truly imparts critical thinking skills that no other subject can. It teaches you to think and really question, down to the subtleties and little nuances in tone and language.

11) Think positive. If you've already decided you don't like it, chances are you wouldn't like it at all. Give Literature a chance. Even if your grades sux like mine did, there's still something to gain from it all. Might as well milk it for all it's worth and enjoy it as much as you can!

12) A good command of the English language and good vocabulary is helpful in Literature because it helps you to express yourself and your ideas better. At the very least, teachers wouldn't be so annoyed picking out grammatical and spelling mistakes! (I know I drove my HCL teacher mad with all my cuo zi :oops:)

Hehe just my 2cts worth. I'm not good at Lit but I'm trying to enjoy it. My tutors are absolutely awesome though (they can analyze so much from just one page that it puts us all to shame), which helps tremendously.
Hi miko07,

Thank you for your '2 cents' worth. They seem more than 2 cents to me actually :D

I hope parents/pupils will read and take note of your insights ....

Are u a student?? :?

micko07
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by micko07 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:24 pm

autumnbronze wrote:
Hi miko07,

Thank you for your '2 cents' worth. They seem more than 2 cents to me actually :D

Haha me and my long-windedness! Sorry guys! :oops:

Yes, I'm a J1 going on J2 student taking English Literature. :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Post by autumnbronze » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:48 pm

micko07 wrote:
autumnbronze wrote:
Hi miko07,

Haha me and my long-windedness! Sorry guys! :oops:

Yes, I'm a J1 going on J2 student taking English Literature. :D
Hi miko07,

Allrightee :celebrate:

So nice to have a student in this thread. And one too who has a positive attitude towards Lit. We need more like you .... :wink:

BTW, you were not long winded

BUT rather

informative ...

Cheers :D

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:26

Post by tutormum » Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:29 pm

DS3 doing Animal Farm for Lit this year. :lol: Hope can help him one way or another.

More to the list:

1. Elevator Food
2. The Clay Marble
3. Or Else, The Lightning God and other stories
:love: