Secondary School Literature

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
D3@n
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:8

Re: Secondary School Literature

Post by D3@n » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:09 pm

deardear07 wrote:Sorry Dean, I can’t seem to pm u to ask further.. can u share where u tutor? And the relevant fees etc...
PM sent :-D

forestcadee
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by forestcadee » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm

D3@n wrote:
deardear07 wrote:is there such thing as lit tutoring? and what does that cover?
I do tutor Literature.
I will first go through the text with my student, making sure he understands the plot truly well. And then after finishing the book, we will move on to the bigger picture and deal with the Themes and Characters of the book to have a deeper understanding of what the story is all about. Then, we will relate this book to our own experiences and try to find its relevance in our own lives, and make sense of it all in our world.
Then there is the poetry element, where we will read poems, learn more about its structures, rhythm patterns and also the various literary tools.
Besides the reading and understanding aspect, there is also the written aspect of Literature, as the student needs to answer sourced-based questions and write essays. Again, there is a format to answering such questions. And finally lots of writing practice on the student's part.
Hope this gives you a general idea of how my Lit lesson is conducted.
Hi D3@n, my dd is also not doing well in Literature. The teacher always feedback her work on "link to P statement?" and "link to evidence?" Would appreciate if you can help to explain what's the meaning between the two. Thanks.

D3@n
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by D3@n » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 pm

forestcadee wrote: Hi D3@n, my dd is also not doing well in Literature. The teacher always feedback her work on "link to P statement?" and "link to evidence?" Would appreciate if you can help to explain what's the meaning between the two. Thanks.
Hi forestcadee,

By P statement I assume the teacher is referring to the Problem Statement, which is a description of the issues that your dd has to address throughout her answer. Depending on question type, there may be one or more issues being presented. After giving the topic sentence, evidence and explanation, your dd most likely just moves on to her next point. And this is where she will lose marks because she failed to link her argument to the P statement, and to conclude if it does support or refute it.
For link to evidence, your dd most likely has the tendency to make general sweeping statements and then just leave it as they are. Most students confuse opinions with facts, and assume that the marker will understand and agree with what they have stated. You need to persuade the marker, and therefore you need to back it up with examples from the text. It can be a quote, or description of an act or event. These will serve as evidence. You need "proof" to back up whatever point you want to make.
So basically the first works on a more macro level, linking back to the question proper after every body paragraph. The latter works on a micro one throughout her answer.
I hope this helps.

Dean
Last edited by D3@n on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ksraja69
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by ksraja69 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:26 am

P may be representing Persona. Like, What is the student’s opinion on the persono of x?

bboomer71
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by bboomer71 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:17 am

P may mean Point. Because the kids are taught to PEEL. Point-Elaboration-Example-Link

mfalcon
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by mfalcon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:31 am

D3@n wrote:
deardear07 wrote:is there such thing as lit tutoring? and what does that cover?
I do tutor Literature.
I will first go through the text with my student, making sure he understands the plot truly well. And then after finishing the book, we will move on to the bigger picture and deal with the Themes and Characters of the book to have a deeper understanding of what the story is all about. Then, we will relate this book to our own experiences and try to find its relevance in our own lives, and make sense of it all in our world.
Then there is the poetry element, where we will read poems, learn more about its structures, rhythm patterns and also the various literary tools.
Besides the reading and understanding aspect, there is also the written aspect of Literature, as the student needs to answer sourced-based questions and write essays. Again, there is a format to answering such questions. And finally lots of writing practice on the student's part.
Hope this gives you a general idea of how my Lit lesson is conducted.

Hi Dean,
I am unable to PM you to understand more about your Lit tutoring. Is it possible for you to PM me pls? Thanks.

D3@n
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by D3@n » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 am

mfalcon wrote: Hi Dean,
I am unable to PM you to understand more about your Lit tutoring. Is it possible for you to PM me pls? Thanks.
Hi
Thanks for your interest. Please check your mailbox. :-)

Excel99
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Excel99 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:43 am

D3@n wrote:
deardear07 wrote:Sorry Dean, I can’t seem to pm u to ask further.. can u share where u tutor? And the relevant fees etc...
PM sent :-D

hello D3@n, can you please pm me.

D3@n
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by D3@n » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:09 pm

Excel99 wrote: hello D3@n, can you please pm me.
Hi!
Thanks for your interest.
PM sent. Please check your mailbox :-)

tsh0202
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by tsh0202 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:01 pm

Hi D3@n,
Need some detailed info abt your lit tutoring. Can send me some info?
Thanks!