LEARNConcierge

Secondary School CCA

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Secondary School CCA

Postby SuccessTutors » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:56 pm

My nephew broke a collar bone playing rugby for school. The bone healed very well, fortunately

SuccessTutors
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Masquerade444 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:35 pm

Would have wanted to join swimming back then, if my school offerred it. Now, the interest has dwindled given all the commitments I have as a tertiary student.

Masquerade444
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby isabelcjj » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:04 pm

I think parents should sign their kids up for more chiong CCAs unless the kids really very opposed to the idea, because that's usually when kids make the strongest friendships and most long-lasting sec sch memories. Very good for developing their character too. Only stop them if the cca really affects their studies a lot

isabelcjj
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kiasumom1 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:06 pm

I just heard from an ex-teacher that secondary CCA don't matter for scholarship applications anymore. The trend is to administer tests and case studies to the interviewees on the spot. They'll only use academic performances to screen for shortlisted candidates. hmmm, thinking whether my girl should quit fencing since the equipment cost so much anyways

kiasumom1
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby raisintan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Does any parent have daughters in NCC? Can you share your experience pls?

Also, is it easy to clock CCA points for uniformed group? Thanks

raisintan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:34 pm

kiasumom1 wrote:I just heard from an ex-teacher that secondary CCA don't matter for scholarship applications anymore. The trend is to administer tests and case studies to the interviewees on the spot. They'll only use academic performances to screen for shortlisted candidates. hmmm, thinking whether my girl should quit fencing since the equipment cost so much anyways

I very much doubt that it doesn't matter at all. And leadership opportunities often come through CCAs. For the most competitive scholarships, every little extra matters.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:33 am

slmkhoo wrote:
kiasumom1 wrote:I just heard from an ex-teacher that secondary CCA don't matter for scholarship applications anymore. The trend is to administer tests and case studies to the interviewees on the spot. They'll only use academic performances to screen for shortlisted candidates. hmmm, thinking whether my girl should quit fencing since the equipment cost so much anyways

I very much doubt that it doesn't matter at all. And leadership opportunities often come through CCAs. For the most competitive scholarships, every little extra matters.

I am afraid the ex-teacher isn't up-to-date with the new selection criteria.
In fact, weightage for academic performance is being reduced year-on-year in favor of good character and other desirable attributes. And most of such attributes are developed / gained through positive CCA engagement. You can see the trend in the winners of recent President and PSC Scholars.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby emoh » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:17 pm

raisintan wrote:Does any parent have daughters in NCC? Can you share your experience pls?

Also, is it easy to clock CCA points for uniformed group? Thanks

Yes, think it is easier for uniformed group to fulfill the leadership component under LEAPS 2.0

https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... eaps-2.pdf

emoh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby EasyTutorSG » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Yes. Uniformed group easy to get points.

EasyTutorSG
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby EasyTutorSG » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Yes. Uniformed group easy to get points.

EasyTutorSG
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge