LEARNConcierge

Secondary School CCA

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Secondary School CCA

Postby mum02 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:59 am

Ds got selected for strings ensemble. May I know if anyone is in strings ensemble in school? He has never taken any violin exams although he did learn it for fun when in preschool. I have some questions
1. Are you expected to take up extra lessons outside of school? Or your child will be taught in school ?
2. Is the CCA very demanding of time?
He prefers sports but did not get in. There are not many sports to choose from. And they only accept 6-8 students each! So I am thinking of letting him do sports outside school. But if strings take up too much time that will not be possible.
Then we would consider appealing into a uniformed group. Which UG do you think is recommended? I like scouts while he likes NCC. Any inputs welcomed.

mum02
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:25 pm

mum02 wrote:Ds got selected for strings ensemble.
1. Are you expected to take up extra lessons outside of school? Or your child will be taught in school ?
2. Is the CCA very demanding of time?

Generally speaking, performing art CCAs are time consuming. Some with ad hoc extra sessions or rubber timing where rehearsals can stretch whole day. if you're concerned about timing, best is to find out from his seniors who are already in that CCA what is the actual CCA time commitment, not just the official CCA timing.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kiasumother » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:04 am

For those in strings ensemble, is it very tough for students with no background? And does it take very long before being allowed to play in the Main Orchestra?
I am concerned there is no physical activity. My son is v active!!

kiasumother
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby peterch » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:44 pm

kiasumother wrote:For those in strings ensemble, is it very tough for students with no background? And does it take very long before being allowed to play in the Main Orchestra?

IMHO, if you DS is happy with it please support him. I didn't really know the qualification to perform in main orchestra but I refer to my DD, she has no music background and she is in chinese orchestra. We only knew she plays 1 instrument but when we came for the pre display, I just realized that she's been taught to play several instrument and she is ok playing them too. I think the TIC and instructor will guide yr DS according tonhis ability.

peterch
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:21 am

kiasumother wrote:For those in strings ensemble, is it very tough for students with no background? And does it take very long before being allowed to play in the Main Orchestra?

Playing instruments can be very physically demanding too, depending on which, I guess. The posture and the repeated actions can be very tiring.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 pm

My DD was in Chinese Orchestra in primary school and Band in secondary school. 2 practice sessions per week till about 6pm. She was allocated a new instrument. School was good. It helped to train them for the exams for their relevant instruments. DD passed her grade 7 exam in this new instrument in the 4 years.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Deleted due to duplication.
Last edited by Coolkidsrock2 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Deleted due to duplication.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:44 pm

The school will provide the support for your child. Not to worry. Keep an open mind. The friendships formed will help kids' change their mind.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ion » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:23 pm

Hi,
Anyone with DS in rugby? Is this sport very rough and injury-prone?

ion
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge