Secondary School CCA

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:140

Re: Secondary School CCA

Post by floppy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm

deardear07 wrote:hi All,

DSA for most sports requires being medalists right? If not at national level, must at least win some form of medal at other events? can someone confirm?
Normally, yes.

However, if your name is Ronaldo, Messi or Rooney but your primary school doesn’t have football as a CCA, you will still get a free pass.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:53

Post by zac's mum » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:03 pm

floppy wrote:
deardear07 wrote:hi All,

DSA for most sports requires being medalists right? If not at national level, must at least win some form of medal at other events? can someone confirm?
Normally, yes.

However, if your name is Ronaldo, Messi or Rooney but your primary school doesn’t have football as a CCA, you will still get a free pass.
Deardear07,

Are u asking about DSA into secondary school or DSA into JC?

I’m just curious because I don’t see many kids trying to DSA into JC. Or maybe it’s not discussed in KSP forum? Do the kids usually prep the applications themselves?

I don’t know the answer for DSA sports. But maybe participation (solo/team) in a high level competition is sufficient. Or being a member of the national youth squad? Or his personal best timing is close to national level? In such cases, there may be no bronze/silver/gold medal to show, but the kid is still considered good in the sport right?

I saw it mentioned somewhere that NJC conducts general trials for DSA Sports applicants. Meaning the kid doesn’t need to have medals/sporting achievements on paper. The real test is at the sports trials, where the respective coaches will be there to spot talent.

SamsonSun
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by SamsonSun » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:39 am

Estéema wrote:Some parents worry about time taken for CCA leaving sec sch kids no time for academic.

Maybe just share some positive perspectives :-

1. Physical exercises keeps them sweating & maintains good body circulation, brings oxygen thro'out body & up to brains (they studied in primary science). They'll study better with good health & endorphins (esp for those who are happy & enjoys their CCA)

2. It helps build a good active habit, which I believe & hope stays with them lifelong. A sedantory lifestyle brings with it loads of diff types of illness, poor circulation, lack Vit D, clog up arteries, etc) we hear if esp once they get out into the working world rut.

3. In their teenage days, they shld start learning to manage their time well. Year 1 & Yr 2 may be feeling their way around & finding a footing. By Year 3, they shld hv found some footing and begin to be more confident & responsible for their learning, sporting tasks/achievement goals, and managing themselves & emotions till their final Year 6 or JC years.

4. I always think, if my kids are doing CCAs in safety of school grounds, it certainly beats having them on screen games or gallivanting in shopping malls or waste time at coffee outlets! Coming home tired is a given when they work hard enuf, but overtime, once they get use to it & catering for their teenage growing years, they'll overcome it.

Just my own thinking as I learn to let go & trust them. :love:
:goodpost: I love your sharing! I rather have my children spend their energy on their CCA then go out and waste time outside or go shopping centres and spend my money. :laugh:

jiangbao
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by jiangbao » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:47 pm

need advice. while my boy isnt taking PSLE yet but it will be soon, thought i ask here first.

if my child is doing a sport that only a few secondary schools are doing as part of the cca
program (SAP ones are great at it obviously, Non SAP that have that sport are not great at it). can he then join any neighbourhood secondary school then request for permission to train for this cca? MOE seems to suggest its ok but it depends on the school. so its a school dependent thing?

Or should he go to the non sap ones? this is assuming his grades itself do not get him into SAP schools or he cant DSA into it.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:53

Post by zac's mum » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

jiangbao wrote:need advice. while my boy isnt taking PSLE yet but it will be soon, thought i ask here first.

if my child is doing a sport that only a few secondary schools are doing as part of the cca
program (SAP ones are great at it obviously, Non SAP that have that sport are not great at it). can he then join any neighbourhood secondary school then request for permission to train for this cca? MOE seems to suggest its ok but it depends on the school. so its a school dependent thing?

Or should he go to the non sap ones? this is assuming his grades itself do not get him into SAP schools or he cant DSA into it.
Yeah, I think you gotta check with the individual schools that you’re interested in, whether they will accept it as an “external CCA” (that’s the term).

They may specify a certain minimum criteria. Eg my kid’s primary school allows external CCA if the training is at least 3x a week, certain number of hours, taking part in national-level competitions etc.

jiangbao
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by jiangbao » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:37 pm

so i went to some secondary schools open house, spoke to some CCA HOD. it seems that if i were to pick an external cca, I still need to pick a CCA in school. it does not replaces. that said, isnt that adding additional stress to the child whose interest lies outside what the school provides? again, not all schools provides common cca platform, some schools have more while others notably lesser.

despmom99
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by despmom99 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:05 pm

Estéema wrote:Some parents worry about time taken for CCA leaving sec sch kids no time for academic.

Maybe just share some positive perspectives :-

1. Physical exercises keeps them sweating & maintains good body circulation, brings oxygen thro'out body & up to brains (they studied in primary science). They'll study better with good health & endorphins (esp for those who are happy & enjoys their CCA)

2. It helps build a good active habit, which I believe & hope stays with them lifelong. A sedantory lifestyle brings with it loads of diff types of illness, poor circulation, lack Vit D, clog up arteries, etc) we hear if esp once they get out into the working world rut.

3. In their teenage days, they shld start learning to manage their time well. Year 1 & Yr 2 may be feeling their way around & finding a footing. By Year 3, they shld hv found some footing and begin to be more confident & responsible for their learning, sporting tasks/achievement goals, and managing themselves & emotions till their final Year 6 or JC years.

4. I always think, if my kids are doing CCAs in safety of school grounds, it certainly beats having them on screen games or gallivanting in shopping malls or waste time at coffee outlets! Coming home tired is a given when they work hard enuf, but overtime, once they get use to it & catering for their teenage growing years, they'll overcome it.

Just my own thinking as I learn to let go & trust them. :love:
I agree with your words of wisdom.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:47

Post by Estéema » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:16 pm

Hee, Hee... old alr mah. But I’m still learning fr other parents not a perfect one myself. Hope u enjoy your parenthood journey with your kids. :love:

poohwee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by poohwee » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Hi, Can i check whether any parents had got approval from school to take an external sport as school CCA? Means they do not need to take up a school cca and continue with the external sport that the child had been doing since young?

madclick
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by madclick » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:23 am

That's my question too.