Secondary School CCA

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
EasyTutorSG
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Secondary School CCA

Post by EasyTutorSG » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:17 pm

Do note however , that your child's passion and interests are the most important. Most will be able to get the 2 points , so no need to chase it too much.

Imagine this: can you yourself handle
1) being punished for being late or untidy dress code while at uniformed group ?

2) play an instrument allocated to you for 4 years x 3 times/week?

kekeia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by kekeia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:59 pm

If DC went through trials and has been shortlisted for Badminton, Tennis, Basketball, Bowling and maybe Netball how to choose?

Child had no pref.

kekeia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by kekeia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Any thoughts?

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by MerlionInGermany » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:14 pm

kekeia wrote:Any thoughts?
If really no preference...

I will consider the cost, like basketball and netball are probably cheaper than badminton, tennis and bowling.

I will also consider team sports vs individual sports...

Under the sun or indoors.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:53 pm

kekeia wrote:If DC went through trials and has been shortlisted for Badminton, Tennis, Basketball, Bowling and maybe Netball how to choose?

Child had no pref.
i would choose bowling since it's indoor...given the scorching hot weather we have from april to june, it will be tiring to practise and still have to complete homework and revise for tests/exams.

kekeia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by kekeia » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you so much for all your advice!!!

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:33

Post by Imp75 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:19 pm

kekeia wrote:If DC went through trials and has been shortlisted for Badminton, Tennis, Basketball, Bowling and maybe Netball how to choose?

Child had no pref.
I would choose to join the “winning team”. Which team has the best potential to win at nationals. Something must be done right to produce a winning team so being in the team would inspire the child to do well for the sport too.
If none, then next I will consider the child’s physical attributes suitability for what kind of sports.

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:77

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:28 pm

Imp75 wrote:

Child had no pref.
I would choose to join the “winning team”. Which team has the best potential to win at nationals. Something must be done right to produce a winning team so being in the team would inspire the child to do well for the sport too.
If none, then next I will consider the child’s physical attributes suitability for what kind of sports.
Agree with Imp75.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:21 am

ngl2010 wrote:
Imp75 wrote:

Child had no pref.
Agree with Imp75.
Ah gong says, “begin with the end in mind.”

If the purpose of the CCA is to score A1/A2 for the 2 points deduction at Os, choose the weakest sport. Ideally, the team is being knocked out at the very first round they participate in. Minimum commitment (short competition schedule and unlikely to have extra competition matches), maximum results (in terms of CCA scoring at least).

If the purpose of the CCA is to win, choose the sport that wins consistently, preferably a team sport (ie not badminton, tennis or bowling). Easier to share in the glory when winning, but distribute and deflect blame when losing (great training btw for a career in the civil service).

If the purpose of the CCA is for DSA, choose a sport that wins consistently. You want to tell the selectors that you come from a winning team. Nevermind if the child sits on the bench half the time, at least he / she stands a chance of being selected for the first round (and that’s having half a foot through the door already). If the child is likely to do well, ie have money for extra coaching or show strong interest, then an individual sport like badminton, tennis or bowling. No risk of being bogged down if the team suay suay CMI. However, if your child is called Jordan or Messi, it probably doesn’t matter.

If you have no idea what to do, take a look at the child and yourself (ie the parents). As physical traits are typically genetic, consider this:
Very tall? Basketball or netball.
Tall? Badminton, tennis or the above two.
Short? Bowling.
Big build? Bowling or basketball.
Medium frame? All but maybe, not basketball.
Small frame? Bowling.
At the minimum, the child won’t find herself an odd fit for the sport.

If the purpose of the CCA is to keep fit... seriously, you don’t need the CCA. Just watch the diet and participate actively in the regular PE lessons.

:wink: :evil:

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:33

Post by Imp75 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:58 am

lol you funny le....

Coming from a sports background myself and having a sports child, I believe there must be passion in the sport. One of the way to fuel that passion is also having like-minded individuals in the team therefore joining a high-performing team will inspire you to want to do better and find fulfilment in that CCA.

I don't really think much about DSA or CCA points, we are talking about 4 year commitment, I think the journey itself is worth more than that 2 points. If you are good in that sport, that CCA point or DSA chance will come but must first enjoy the sport and team.