Secondary School CCA

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
kekeia
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Secondary School CCA

Post by kekeia » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Haha

I really like this statement - Easier to share in the glory when winning, but distribute and deflect blame when losing (great training btw for a career in the civil service)

But thanks all for the inputs!! I share the same sentiment as imp75 and partial of floppy’s :p

Ken Chan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Ken Chan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:04 am

Music easy to get CCA points but not every kid is suitable

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by ilovelaksa » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Speaking from a parent’s perspective. I wld prefer my child to pick a sports CCA
1. With no DSAs. Getting selected in doesn’t mean you will be in the team. Tbh, CCAs with competitive teams tend to treat those not on the competitive team poorly.
2. No contact sports. Injuries can be pretty bad warranting surgery, lengthy hospitalisation
3. Training not more than twice a week and 2h per session. Practically not possible unless no. 4.
4. National competitions involving 10-15 schools and with schools who doesn’t attract DSAs.
5. Training conducted in school.
6. CCAs with the cheapest gear.
7. CCAs with competitions in term 1 only
8. Team CCAs cuz the burden to win doesn’t fall on an individual only
But, of course, none of my kids listens to me : )

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:77

Post by ngl2010 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:42 pm

ilovelaksa wrote:Speaking from a parent’s perspective. I wld prefer my child to pick a sports CCA
1. With no DSAs. Getting selected in doesn’t mean you will be in the team. Tbh, CCAs with competitive teams tend to treat those not on the competitive team poorly.
2. No contact sports. Injuries can be pretty bad warranting surgery, lengthy hospitalisation
3. Training not more than twice a week and 2h per session. Practically not possible unless no. 4.
4. National competitions involving 10-15 schools and with schools who doesn’t attract DSAs.
:rotflmao:

I read with admiration of your advice on CCA selection process until I read the last sentence :laugh: Haiz... when do our kids listen to us regarding CCA? :shrug:

sky minecrafter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:25

Post by sky minecrafter » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:01 pm

ngl2010 wrote:
ilovelaksa wrote:...But, of course, none of my kids listens to me : )
:rotflmao: ... I read with admiration of your advice on CCA selection process until I read the last sentence :laugh: Haiz... when do our kids listen to us regarding CCA? :shrug:
I know rite! :udawoman: :goodpost:

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by Imp75 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:51 am

ilovelaksa wrote:Speaking from a parent’s perspective. I wld prefer my child to pick a sports CCA
Well thought-out but not sure which sport is affordable yet least competitive (point 4 is not in congruent with point 6). In any case, to excel in sports, besides the 2/3 times a week in school, you definitely need extra enrichment to hone your skills/stamina......my dd trains 5x a week. Some of her peers train everyday.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:58

Post by Estéema » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Some parents worry about time taken for CCA leaving sec sch kids no time for academic.

Maybe just share some positive perspectives :-

1. Physical exercises keeps them sweating & maintains good body circulation, brings oxygen thro'out body & up to brains (they studied in primary science). They'll study better with good health & endorphins (esp for those who are happy & enjoys their CCA)

2. It helps build a good active habit, which I believe & hope stays with them lifelong. A sedantory lifestyle brings with it loads of diff types of illness, poor circulation, lack Vit D, clog up arteries, etc) we hear if esp once they get out into the working world rut.

3. In their teenage days, they shld start learning to manage their time well. Year 1 & Yr 2 may be feeling their way around & finding a footing. By Year 3, they shld hv found some footing and begin to be more confident & responsible for their learning, sporting tasks/achievement goals, and managing themselves & emotions till their final Year 6 or JC years.

4. I always think, if my kids are doing CCAs in safety of school grounds, it certainly beats having them on screen games or gallivanting in shopping malls or waste time at coffee outlets! Coming home tired is a given when they work hard enuf, but overtime, once they get use to it & catering for their teenage growing years, they'll overcome it.

Just my own thinking as I learn to let go & trust them. :love:

tinkfirst
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:1

Post by tinkfirst » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 pm

[[/b]
Estéema wrote:Some parents worry about time taken for CCA leaving sec sch kids no time for academic.

Maybe just share some positive perspectives :-

1. Physical exercises keeps them sweating & maintains good body circulation, brings oxygen thro'out body & up to brains (they studied in primary science). They'll study better with good health & endorphins (esp for those who are happy & enjoys their CCA)

2. It helps build a good active habit, which I believe & hope stays with them lifelong. A sedantory lifestyle brings with it loads of diff types of illness, poor circulation, lack Vit D, clog up arteries, etc) we hear if esp once they get out into the working world rut.

3. In their teenage days, they shld start learning to manage their time well. Year 1 & Yr 2 may be feeling their way around & finding a footing. By Year 3, they shld hv found some footing and begin to be more confident & responsible for their learning, sporting tasks/achievement goals, and managing themselves & emotions till their final Year 6 or JC years.

4. I always think, if my kids are doing CCAs in safety of school grounds, it certainly beats having them on screen games or gallivanting in shopping malls or waste time at coffee outlets! Coming home tired is a given when they work hard enuf, but overtime, once they get use to it & catering for their teenage growing years, they'll overcome it.:
:goodpost:

deardear07
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by deardear07 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:18 pm

hi All,

DSA for most sports requires being medalists right? If not at national level, must at least win some form of medal at other events? can someone confirm?

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:186

Post by floppy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:33 pm

deardear07 wrote:hi All,

DSA for most sports requires being medalists right? If not at national level, must at least win some form of medal at other events? can someone confirm?
Normally, yes.

However, if your name is Ronaldo, Messi or Rooney but your primary school doesn’t have football as a CCA, you will still get a free pass.