Page 88 of 88

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 am
by Zappy
Zeal mummy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:00 am
May I ask if this LEAPS program is useful for the IP track students? How relevant thanks!
If you are referring to the bonus CCA points for O-levels, it's not relevant since IP students don't take O-levels.
There are some IP students who switch to O-level classes so LEAPS would be relevant to those.

The purpose of LEAPS, though, is to encourage participation in CCAs and for the students' holistic development.

CCA is important and a major part of a student's journey through secondary school, IP or not. If the decision is to only participate actively when there is a tangible benefit (bonus points), then I think that would be wasted and would be a mistake.

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 am
by Zeal mummy
Zappy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 am
Zeal mummy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:00 am
May I ask if this LEAPS program is useful for the IP track students? How relevant thanks!
If you are referring to the bonus CCA points for O-levels, it's not relevant since IP students don't take O-levels.
There are some IP students who switch to O-level classes so LEAPS would be relevant to those.

The purpose of LEAPS, though, is to encourage participation in CCAs and for the students' holistic development.

CCA is important and a major part of a student's journey through secondary school, IP or not. If the decision is to only participate actively when there is a tangible benefit (bonus points), then I think that would be wasted and would be a mistake.
Agree on the holistic development part. My question is more to understand what are the consequences. Also how much effort/time to put in, if studies get affected. Thanks for your reply/views. Do you know how cca will affect/improve chances of applications for tertiary scholarships?

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 am
by Zappy
Zeal mummy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 am

Agree on the holistic development part. My question is more to understand what are the consequences. Also how much effort/time to put in, if studies get affected. Thanks for your reply/views. Do you know how cca will affect/improve chances of applications for tertiary scholarships?
There are so many variables...
If remain in IP, then I suppose there is no academic consequence in the sec school years since points not needed to move on to Yr 5-6.

How much effort : probably as much as the student would like to put in and enjoy the secondary school years. I'd say just monitor the overall situation and let them have the freedom/ independence to navigate their way. After all, they are teenagers already at this stage. Can't be babying them continuously by dictating what CCA they should join, etc; just guide them if they move too far either direction, ie. no CCA activity or over-zealous and ignoring studies.

Application for tertiary scholarships: Not sure about the exact weightage but surely it can't hurt if he/ she is active in a CCA and shows all-roundedness instead of purely academic achievements.

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:28 pm
by MathOnlineTuition
Zeal mummy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 am
Zappy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 am
Zeal mummy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:00 am
May I ask if this LEAPS program is useful for the IP track students? How relevant thanks!
If you are referring to the bonus CCA points for O-levels, it's not relevant since IP students don't take O-levels.
There are some IP students who switch to O-level classes so LEAPS would be relevant to those.

The purpose of LEAPS, though, is to encourage participation in CCAs and for the students' holistic development.

CCA is important and a major part of a student's journey through secondary school, IP or not. If the decision is to only participate actively when there is a tangible benefit (bonus points), then I think that would be wasted and would be a mistake.
Agree on the holistic development part. My question is more to understand what are the consequences. Also how much effort/time to put in, if studies get affected. Thanks for your reply/views. Do you know how cca will affect/improve chances of applications for tertiary scholarships?
For most tertiary scholarships, apart from your academic achievements, the focus nowadays ( to shift away from academic results) is to showcase your leadership potential and achievements. CCA provides that platform for students to grow and attain those experiences. It is true that the balance between CCA activity and academic focus must be carefully balanced. This is especially true when students are in Sec 3. Typically, their grades will fall because, not only do they need to grapple with new subjects at a more demanding level compared to lower secondary, they will also take up leadership position in their CCA which will involve a lot of planning and work. My advice is let the student proceed with the CCA, if the academic results drops severely, talk to the CCA teacher and work out some arrangement for the child to catch up on his/her work. This way, the child will be able to benefit from both worlds.

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:06 pm
by ResilienceLC
Zeal mummy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:00 am


Agree on the holistic development part. My question is more to understand what are the consequences. Also how much effort/time to put in, if studies get affected. Thanks for your reply/views. Do you know how cca will affect/improve chances of applications for tertiary scholarships?
You are asking...
after your child finished Year 6 (A levels , IB etc) - how would CCA help in the applications for Scholarships in the Uni ?

Let me share my experience (both personal as well as what I see in schools)

If the student is a student leader, organized out reach programs to the needy, represented school / Country in competitions, have the joined overseas performance tour, won medals etc ...

what would be the confidence level of this student ?
Would the student be very timid and shy away or would this person able to stand up the stage and give a speech ?
Is there leadership qualities in the student ?

If you are in the selection committee - how would you rate the student. ?
If I will to give him a scholarship - then would the student 'represent' the company when the he graduates and come work for the company. ?

Mr Matthew Ng
Resilience LC

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:39 pm
by Zeal mummy
MathOnlineTuition wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:28 pm
Zeal mummy wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:52 am
Zappy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:19 am


If you are referring to the bonus CCA points for O-levels, it's not relevant since IP students don't take O-levels.
There are some IP students who switch to O-level classes so LEAPS would be relevant to those.

The purpose of LEAPS, though, is to encourage participation in CCAs and for the students' holistic development.

CCA is important and a major part of a student's journey through secondary school, IP or not. If the decision is to only participate actively when there is a tangible benefit (bonus points), then I think that would be wasted and would be a mistake.
Agree on the holistic development part. My question is more to understand what are the consequences. Also how much effort/time to put in, if studies get affected. Thanks for your reply/views. Do you know how cca will affect/improve chances of applications for tertiary scholarships?
For most tertiary scholarships, apart from your academic achievements, the focus nowadays ( to shift away from academic results) is to showcase your leadership potential and achievements. CCA provides that platform for students to grow and attain those experiences. It is true that the balance between CCA activity and academic focus must be carefully balanced. This is especially true when students are in Sec 3. Typically, their grades will fall because, not only do they need to grapple with new subjects at a more demanding level compared to lower secondary, they will also take up leadership position in their CCA which will involve a lot of planning and work. My advice is let the student proceed with the CCA, if the academic results drops severely, talk to the CCA teacher and work out some arrangement for the child to catch up on his/her work. This way, the child will be able to benefit from both worlds.
Agree with you. Thank you for sharing.

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:46 pm
by Zeal mummy
ResilienceLC wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:06 pm
Zeal mummy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:00 am


Agree on the holistic development part. My question is more to understand what are the consequences. Also how much effort/time to put in, if studies get affected. Thanks for your reply/views. Do you know how cca will affect/improve chances of applications for tertiary scholarships?
You are asking...
after your child finished Year 6 (A levels , IB etc) - how would CCA help in the applications for Scholarships in the Uni ?

Let me share my experience (both personal as well as what I see in schools)

If the student is a student leader, organized out reach programs to the needy, represented school / Country in competitions, have the joined overseas performance tour, won medals etc ...

what would be the confidence level of this student ?
Would the student be very timid and shy away or would this person able to stand up the stage and give a speech ?
Is there leadership qualities in the student ?

If you are in the selection committee - how would you rate the student. ?
If I will to give him a scholarship - then would the student 'represent' the company when the he graduates and come work for the company. ?

Mr Matthew Ng
Resilience LC
Asking if sec 1-4 cca will make a difference in the child’s JC cca; and if in the IP program.. do they start all over in JC, which is their year 5-6. And what impact this has on applications for scholarship.

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:06 pm
by Imp75
Zeal mummy wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:46 pm
ResilienceLC wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:06 pm
Zeal mummy wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:00 am


Agree on the holistic development part. My question is more to understand what are the consequences. Also how much effort/time to put in, if studies get affected. Thanks for your reply/views. Do you know how cca will affect/improve chances of applications for tertiary scholarships?
You are asking...
after your child finished Year 6 (A levels , IB etc) - how would CCA help in the applications for Scholarships in the Uni ?

Let me share my experience (both personal as well as what I see in schools)

If the student is a student leader, organized out reach programs to the needy, represented school / Country in competitions, have the joined overseas performance tour, won medals etc ...

what would be the confidence level of this student ?
Would the student be very timid and shy away or would this person able to stand up the stage and give a speech ?
Is there leadership qualities in the student ?

If you are in the selection committee - how would you rate the student. ?
If I will to give him a scholarship - then would the student 'represent' the company when the he graduates and come work for the company. ?

Mr Matthew Ng
Resilience LC
Asking if sec 1-4 cca will make a difference in the child’s JC cca; and if in the IP program.. do they start all over in JC, which is their year 5-6. And what impact this has on applications for scholarship.
It is considered very favourably if the year 5 student continue the same cca as the prior 4 years,ie you prob get selected over someone else who doesn't have experience. AFAIK, for scholarship applications, cca is not as important as being all rounder, ie results tops, external achievements, volunteerism, what you do during the break after A levels leading to university etc....

Re: Secondary School CCA

Posted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:42 am
by ResilienceLC
It seems from the queries from Zeal Mummy that your concern is the CCA points for Scholarship
vs CCA for developments of the child's abilities , character and leadership qualities amongst others.
It is the second part that will make the child 'stand out' during the scholarship interview.

Mr Matthew Ng
Resilience LC