Secondary School Geography

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Secondary School Geography

Postby tianzhu » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:01 am

Secondary One --- How to study Geography?

Sec 1 pupils will have their first exposure to Geography when they enrol in 2010.It is practically a new subject for our young ones. ( http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/syllabu ... y-2006.pdf)

I am starting this thread to gather inputs from experienced Ah ge and ah jie so as to make the transition a more pleasant one.

1)What are the pointers in answering Geography essays/structured questions?

2)What are the effective techniques one must learn to think about the questions asked? It’ll be helpful if you could illustrate with actual examination questions.

3)Any relevant websites to download useful resources and past years papers?

Best wishes
Last edited by tianzhu on Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

tianzhu
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Secondary One --- How to study Geography

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:03 am

tianzhu wrote:Secondary One --- How to study Geography

Sec 1 pupils will have their first exposure to Geography when they enrol in 2010.It is practically a new subject for our young ones. ( http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/syllabu ... y-2006.pdf)...

I love Geography, but the teacher I had in Sec 1 effectively killed off any interest I had in Geography as an academic subject. It was many years later that I regained my love for the subject, on my own.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby schellen » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:06 pm

Hi! I shall be a bit thick-skinned and "advertise" my own blog article here. :wink:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/conte ... ry-schools

IF (and notice that it is a big IF) I have the time, I'll dig around in my bookcase to locate more resources.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hwachongkid97 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:37 am

Is geography a very difficult subject? I just want to be mentally prepared. :wink:

hwachongkid97
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:59 pm

hwachongkid97 wrote:Is geography a very difficult subject? I just want to be mentally prepared. :wink:

0-0
Hi, future schoolmate, I going hwa chong too.
:D

Anyway, I didn't see geo on the booklist, there is only "history" in the integrated humanities column.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby edanson » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:13 pm

hwachongkid97 wrote:Is geography a very difficult subject? I just want to be mentally prepared. :wink:

You are indeed a responsible boy who seems to be very keen with your studies. I wish my boy is like you. He doesn't seems to be bothered about anything that is related to studies. He only wants to 'play'.

Ok, base on my daughter's work (sec 3 next year). I do not think that Geo is difficult. As long as you listen in class and read up after the lesson, do your homework when requested, I think everything is fine - need not worry too much. Oh yes, if you have difficulty after the lesson and reading up, please do not hesitate to ask your teacher.

All the best to you !

edanson
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby schellen » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:23 pm

xxjustakidxx wrote:Anyway, I didn't see geo on the booklist, there is only "history" in the integrated humanities column.

You may be doing it modular style, i.e., history first for 1st half of the year or 1st year, then, switch to geog later.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hwachongkid97 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:23 pm

edanson wrote:

You are indeed a responsible boy who seems to be very keen with your studies. I wish my boy is like you. He doesn't seems to be bothered about anything that is related to studies. He only wants to 'play'.

Ok, base on my daughter's work (sec 3 next year). I do not think that Geo is difficult. As long as you listen in class and read up after the lesson, do your homework when requested, I think everything is fine - need not worry too much. Oh yes, if you have difficulty after the lesson and reading up, please do not hesitate to ask your teacher.

All the best to you !
thanks for your reassurance. I was pretty worried at first when I saw some questions on geo. :lol:

hwachongkid97
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby schellen » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:12 pm

edanson wrote:Ok, base on my daughter's work (sec 3 next year). I do not think that Geo is difficult.

Note that there is a big jump from lower sec geog to upper sec geog. However, if your daughter has enjoyed geog so far and understands the concepts and skills involved, the jump won't be that big.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby hwachongkid97 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:56 pm

schellen wrote:
edanson wrote:Ok, base on my daughter's work (sec 3 next year). I do not think that Geo is difficult.

However, if your daughter has enjoyed geog so far and understands the concepts and skills involved, the jump won't be that big.
phew that is a relief. I was scared when I read that it would be a big jump.

hwachongkid97
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support