LEARNConcierge

Secondary School History

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Secondary School History

Postby Tan_st » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:39 pm

Hi, anyone know of any good tutor on comb humanity SS n History? My boy sec next yr o level and need help.

Tan_st
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby ernie_yang » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:23 pm

Hi CatMoon, may I have the contact of the history tutor ? Thanks!

ernie_yang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby missdizzle » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:49 pm

Hi! I'm a teacher with more than 10 years of experience teaching history (GCE + IGCSE + IB) and I'm thinking of taking up 1-2 tuition assignments next year to set aside some funds for further studies.

I do not believe in long drawn-out history tuition sessions especially when students are already bogged down with so many activities that are competing for their time. Hence, my focus is usually on getting the student confident in using the necessary skills for answering SEQ and SBQ questions within 4-8 sessions of 1.5-2 hours each. Each session is $80/h. Once we get the skills right, then sessions will become less frequent (i.e. when the student is facing difficulties nearing their tests / examination). Honestly, sometimes all a sharp and hardworking student needs is that 1-2 sessions of going through his/her history answering techniques - I've seen students go from an F to A within 2 sessions and it is a tremendously satisfying feeling.

Do drop me a message if you're interested in getting help for your child (around the Sengkang / YCK area).

missdizzle
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby CatMoon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:36 pm

Tan_st wrote:Hi, anyone know of any good tutor on comb humanity SS n History? My boy sec next yr o level and need help.

Just PM you. Sorry for late reply. :smile:

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby CatMoon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:36 pm

ernie_yang wrote:Hi CatMoon, may I have the contact of the history tutor ? Thanks!

Just PM you. Sorry for late reply. :smile:

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lynncbh » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:14 am

Try this tutor.
Ex-teacher teaching history and social studies. Good feedback.

http://www.yestuition.sg/viewdetails.php?tutorid=819

lynncbh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nansk » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:17 am

lowdewei wrote:Hi all history tests critical thinking skills and one needs to read alot of different resources to do well. Can try National library to get additional info on the topics tested

Thanks! :)
Do you know any specific book titles that we can look at in the library?

nansk
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby swortionery » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:17 am

nansk wrote:Thanks! :)
Do you know any specific book titles that we can look at in the library?

Going through supplementary books may result in information bloat, which is great for expanding one's knowledge but not so much if one's already swamped with schoolwork. History is a subject in which you use historical facts and data to substantiate your Point in the PEEL format. My advice would therefore be to stick to Wikipedia and copy down any relevant information from there. One nice thing about History is that you don't really need to quote your sources since there's there's an underlying assumption that any Evidence that you can use to substantiate your arguments should be factually correct (unless what the student has quoted is too far off the mark to be taken seriously, e.g. "Hitler was a fan of jazz").

There's quite a lot that can be said w.r.t studying for history, so don't hesitate to PM me if you're keen on finding out more :)

swortionery
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby nms1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations on books to practise inference questions for lower secondary? The only two books I have found so far in Popular (GLM & Wiseman) cover the Sec1 syllabus as whole with just one or two inference questions for each topic. My daughter is finding this part really hard and just wants to focus on more example questions.

Thanks!

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby phtthp » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:16 pm

for Sec 4 O level History : which are the more difficult topics to tackle or remember historical facts ?

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge