Secondary School History

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
kgoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Secondary School History

Post by kgoh » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:28 pm

Agree with missdizzle. Deliberate practice is very important--I've seen many of my students go from F9 to A or B by looking deep into their answers for problem areas. They don't beat themselves up for mistakes made but are happy to have found out what went wrong, so that they can fix it.

If your child has collected the History or Social Studies exam script and is struggling to make sense of it, maybe check out the Checklist I've made here: http://bit.ly/sshechk
Feel free to download and use it. Do note that it contains the basic SBQ and SRQ/SEQ skills taught, but if your DD/DS's school hasn't taught a particular skill, just leave that part blank.

If you need any help making sense of the exam paper, feel free to pm me for a quicker response. You could also email your DD/DS's exam paper to look at. :)

jacsplace
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jacsplace » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:29 am

Hi,
For sec 1 source-based questions, if the question asks "what can you learn from", is it the same as "what can you infer from"?
thanks

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by clioclio » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:27 pm

yes, just that when you answer u must use the same verb as in the question.

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by clioclio » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:27 pm

yes, just that when you answer u must use the same verb as in the question.

faithfuldad123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by faithfuldad123 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:43 pm

Hi all,
I was wondering if anybody could provide an example of how to write the final paragraph for the "Judgment"/"Evaluation" type of SEQ questions (Eg "Stalin rose to power because of Trotsky's unpopularity in the Politburo. Do you agree or disagree with this statement?" Points: Trotsky's unpopularity in Politburo, non-disclosure of Lenin's testament and Stalin's own manipulation). My DS is unable to get it right for the life of him. His history teacher has told him to compare his points via short term/long term, extent of impact and root cause. Even though my DS has tried his best to follow this format, he still is unable to secure the final 2 marks.

The reason I am concerned about this is because my DS's SBQ skills are much weaker compared to his SEQ skills, and those 2 marks may mean the difference between an 'A' or a 'B' grade!

Your help is much appreciated! :imdrowning: :?:

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by clioclio » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:47 am

Can you show us an example of an attempt by your son to write the conclusion?
Usually they have to address both factors and explain the various role of the two factors play in the topic at hand.

e.g..
"Trotsky's unpopularity undermined his credibility and enabled Stalin to gain the upper hand/advantage in the struggle for power, it was ultimately Stalin's manipulations that enabled him to oust/eliminate his opponents and emerge as the leader of Soviet Union after Lenin's death.
(main argument: Trotsky unpopularity helped Stalin but didn guarantee Stalin rise to power--it mainly took Stalin's cunning to his advantage to rise to power)

faithfuldad123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by faithfuldad123 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:24 pm

clioclio wrote:Can you show us an example of an attempt by your son to write the conclusion?
Usually they have to address both factors and explain the various role of the two factors play in the topic at hand.

e.g..
"Trotsky's unpopularity undermined his credibility and enabled Stalin to gain the upper hand/advantage in the struggle for power, it was ultimately Stalin's manipulations that enabled him to oust/eliminate his opponents and emerge as the leader of Soviet Union after Lenin's death.
(main argument: Trotsky unpopularity helped Stalin but didn guarantee Stalin rise to power--it mainly took Stalin's cunning to his advantage to rise to power)
The conclusion my son did was for this question: "Khrushchev became the next leader of the USSR because his opponents were weak". How far do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer."

This is what he wrote:

In conclusion, I disagree with the statement that Khrushchev became the next leader of USSR because his opponents were weak. While I acknowledge that his opponents' weakness did help him in his rise to power to some extent as it caused them to be expelled which removed Khrushchev's opposition, it definitely did not guarentee it. Khrushchev's agricultural policy not only managed to eliminate one of Khrushchev's biggest opponent, but also allowed him to gain support from the people- something which his weak opponents could not lead to. It also demonstrated his manipulation, which would also have led to how Khrushchev could be able to exploit his opponents' weakness to eliminate them
Due to his agricultural policy having a much larger impact and being the root cause on how Khrushchev could become the next leader of the USSR, I disagree with this statement.

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by clioclio » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Khrushchev? is your son in IP or O level program? Khrushchev's rise is not in O levels leh. unless IP, the schools will have autonomy to decide their own syllabus.

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by clioclio » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Khrushchev? is your son in IP or O level program? Khrushchev's rise is not in O levels leh. unless IP, the schools will have autonomy to decide their own syllabus.

faithfuldad123
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by faithfuldad123 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:35 pm

:salute:
clioclio wrote:Khrushchev? is your son in IP or O level program? Khrushchev's rise is not in O levels leh. unless IP, the schools will have autonomy to decide their own syllabus.
He is from an IP school. Is there a difference in answering between the IP and O level program?