Lower Secondary Science

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
Jamesbond
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Lower Secondary Science

Post by Jamesbond » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Dr.Daniel wrote:
Jamesbond wrote:
Hi, can u pl tell me why it can't be B? :nailbite:
When I look at B, I think of a metal pot with either a metal or glass cover. That's too much surface area to radiate heat. One other thing to think about is that the decomposition of calcium carbonate produces calcium oxide and carbon dioxide gas. If we are decomposing something, we probably want to collect at least one of the products, which you can't do in a covered pot. A test tube you can put a stopper and glass tube in the top to collect the gas for example.

I think the assumption here is that we are doing this in a chemistry lab and not on an industrial scale. I say that because these images are typical chem lab apparatus. But actually B is more often used for cooking food than in a chem lab, although occasionally it may have use in the lab.
:thankyou: :salute:

Jamesbond
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Jamesbond » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:36 pm

1)Does rock music make the heart beat faster? What is the hypothesis for this question? :?: :?:

2)what is the best way to keep bacteria from growing in gym shoes?
Name the dependent and independent variable for the test of this question? :?: :?:
:imdrowning: :sad:

Kate brigid
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Kate brigid » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi , I am looking for science tutor in the east.preferably pasir ris. Any good recommendation will be helpful. Thank you

adribaby
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by adribaby » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 pm

Can anyone recommend assessment book for science?

BayMax_dad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by BayMax_dad » Wed May 13, 2015 3:12 pm

Hi, Not sure if anyone heard about SmartLab education centre (www.smartlab.com.sg)? I am impressed by the large number of students who improved with their tuition program. Wow! Saw that they give full refund if our children do not achieve the desired grade in their final year exam.

FantasyLandDreams
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:15

Post by FantasyLandDreams » Wed May 13, 2015 3:25 pm

BayMax_dad wrote:Hi, Not sure if anyone heard about SmartLab education centre (www.smartlab.com.sg)? I am impressed by the large number of students who improved with their tuition program. Wow! Saw that they give full refund if our children do not achieve the desired grade in their final year exam.
Hmmn...... similar tactic used by Mindchamps for PSLE results....

BayMax_dad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by BayMax_dad » Wed May 13, 2015 5:46 pm

Ya, similar to that.. But I think theirs are for all levels, even for school exam (not psle, o level etc), they also guarantee the results else full refund too. I think they should be that good to dare to guarantee this. Am checking out more details with them.

tsh0202
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by tsh0202 » Wed May 13, 2015 6:07 pm

BayMax_dad wrote:Ya, similar to that.. But I think theirs are for all levels, even for school exam (not psle, o level etc), they also guarantee the results else full refund too. I think they should be that good to dare to guarantee this. Am checking out more details with them.
Have pm the centre about the reliability of this guarantee.
Asking them if my kid has already attained A and wanted to move further up to A*, will that be possible. They did not reply but just asked me to check their website. So, I have my doubts. They have grouped the percentage of students attaining A and A* together, so the percentage seemed to be high.

BayMax_dad
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by BayMax_dad » Wed May 13, 2015 6:55 pm

Wah, your child already gotten A, so good already! I just hope that my children can get a minimum A2 I am happy liao.
From what I see from their website, I am interested in their TOP result programme, either an A1 or an A2. Now, my children are only in the lower C range. Hope to push them up. Tried many tuition centres but still same -_-
Nowadays, children not easy also, so many school activities, always stay back for CCA till 6pm+ almost daily. Their academic results not very good.

Dr.Daniel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by Dr.Daniel » Tue May 19, 2015 3:26 pm

adribaby wrote:Can anyone recommend assessment book for science?
Comprehensive Guide for Lower Secondary Science by David Lim. (Wiseman Publishing)

This will be good enough for some schools, and it is certainly the right place to start. But unfortunately many schools are going nuts on the kids in Lower Secondary and having them do O'Level material even in Sec 1. And it can be hard to predict for a parent because it is not just IP track students. Now I see many express track students getting hit with O'Level difficulty in Sec 1 and Sec 2. Over the last month we did a lot of SA1 prep for Lower Sec students and for more than half of the students, we needed to cover beyond the level of this book and include O'Level difficulty worksheets in order to prepare them for their Midyears.