Lower Secondary Science

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: Lower Secondary Science

Postby Blanja85 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:39 am

Dear Dr Daniel,
I am interested to enroll my son who is going sec1 next year. Please provide me the information's or pm me.
Thz

Blanja85
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Dr.Daniel » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:51 pm

Blanja85 wrote:Dear Dr Daniel,
I am interested to enroll my son who is going sec1 next year. Please provide me the information's or pm me.
Thz

OK - sent you a PM. Our website is in my profile here. You can see it by clicking on my name.

Just one piece of advice for parents with students going into Sec 1 Science: Make sure they learn the metric system ASAP. They should know how many millimeters are in a centimeter, and the other prefixes such as kilo, Mega, Giga, micro and nano. The difference in preparing for the first physics test will be huge for those kids who already know the metric system vs those who still struggle with it.

What I noticed this year was that a few more primary schools are picking up on teaching the metric system now. During our holiday program there was a big gap between kids who had been taught the metric system in primary and those who had not (still the majority have not). We closed that gap for a lot of students, so for those who were new to it, they now have the advanced knowledge going into Sec 1. The ones that had already learned it were challenged with tougher questions. It is not a hard topic, certainly much easier that a lot of those P6 model questions, but it is very important for Sec 1 Science preparation. We will be reviewing it again in January.

Dr.Daniel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby PlayfulFairy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:44 pm

Hi all,

Any recommendation for Science tuition( group/ individual) for Sec 1 Express (2016)? Preferably in the west...
Thanks!

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby cftan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:54 pm

The book 'Longman 1001 MCQ' is meant more for O level rather than lower sec?

cftan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kennethTutor » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:06 pm

cftan wrote:The book 'Longman 1001 MCQ' is meant more for O level rather than lower sec?

If you are talking about:

http://www.funlearners.com/products/books/all-about-physics-1001-mcqs-for-o-level.html
https://estore.pearson.com.hk/en/home/9789810626310-detail

Yes, these are for O level, although there are some topics relevant for lower sec. The Longman 1001 MCQ is the older edition of the links I posted.

kennethTutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Dr.Daniel » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:20 pm

cftan wrote:The book 'Longman 1001 MCQ' is meant more for O level rather than lower sec?

If you look closely at that book, the questions are labelled with difficulty levels 1-3 (symbolized by fingers on a hand). Difficulty level 1 can be used for lower secondary. A student can try level 1 questions first, then check their answers, then proceed to level 2. Difficulty level 3 would be more challenging upper secondary style questions. These however would be appropriate for Sec2 students in IP classes. This book is good for checking the student's knowledge of basic facts and concepts and the ability to do short calculations using the correct formulas.

Coming up with the right level of difficulty for practice worksheets for lower secondary takes a bit of investigation as to the class that the student is in. Some classes focus on a few topics and do significant amounts of O'Level difficulty. Other teachers like to cover more topics but at less depth. And then there are the ones covering a lot of topics also at a lot of depth. But aside from the MCQ's, help with answering structured questions is very important. I spend a lot of time in tuition class on structured answers because the questions in the schools are trending harder in the last few years in lower secondary. There is a lot of testing on being able to explain the cause and effect relationships in science. This requires clear understanding of the concepts first. Then second is the ability to express thoughts in writing using the accurate words and terminology. This just take a lot of practice and guidance. But this is what is separating the A's from the B's in a lot of cases now.

Dr.Daniel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby prettyinpink » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi,

Any recommendation for 1 to 1 private tutor for Sec 2 express Science? I am staying at the West.

prettyinpink
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby bsk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 am

Hi
Is there any recommendation for lower secondary science tuition ? I'm looking for a skill level for above average student to push for a high score., location is around Novena/Thompson/central

bsk
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby StillThinking » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:30 am

Dr.Daniel wrote:

If you look closely at that book, the questions are labelled with difficulty levels 1-3 (symbolized by fingers on a hand). Difficulty level 1 can be used for lower secondary. A student can try level 1 questions first, then check their answers, then proceed to level 2. Difficulty level 3 would be more challenging upper secondary style questions. These however would be appropriate for Sec2 students in IP classes. This book is good for checking the student's knowledge of basic facts and concepts and the ability to do short calculations using the correct formulas.

Coming up with the right level of difficulty for practice worksheets for lower secondary takes a bit of investigation as to the class that the student is in. Some classes focus on a few topics and do significant amounts of O'Level difficulty. Other teachers like to cover more topics but at less depth. And then there are the ones covering a lot of topics also at a lot of depth. But aside from the MCQ's, help with answering structured questions is very important. I spend a lot of time in tuition class on structured answers because the questions in the schools are trending harder in the last few years in lower secondary. There is a lot of testing on being able to explain the cause and effect relationships in science. This requires clear understanding of the concepts first. Then second is the ability to express thoughts in writing using the accurate words and terminology. This just take a lot of practice and guidance. But this is what is separating the A's from the B's in a lot of cases now.

Actually... IP and O levels for my school at least goes at the same speed, only that O level is more theory based and IP is more project/practical based.

StillThinking
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Newtandcucumber » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:17 am

Hi

Is there any tutor agency or publisher who sells PDF lower secondary TOPICAL science worksheets/ answers. If yes please provide a web link, as I wish my son to practise during his half-term school holiday, here in England.

Would like to purchase quickly. Can any parent advocate a good site, please.

Newtandcucumber
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support