How different is Secondary 1 Textbooks from school to school

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

How different is Secondary 1 Textbooks from school to school

Postby Bear.w.me » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:14 pm

First of all I have found a separate thread discussing about Secondary Textbook here:
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=1788

Many of Secondary 1 parents would have bought textbooks for their Secondary 1 children by now. I do receive additional textbooks from other kind parents too.

Right now I have the following textbooks with me:
Explore Geography 1 from PanPac used in Crescent Girls School
D&T Design in Life Lower Secondary from Pearson used in Crescent Girls School
Living SMART (Home Econs) from Pearson used in Crescent Girls School
Discovering Mathematics 1A&1B from STAR Publishing used by Crescent Girls and Cedar Girls
Mathematics Matters from PanPac used in DHS
The Living Past 2nd Ed. from MC for History (so far this is the only textbook I know for History used in many secondary schools)
*please highlight any changes, if any or add to the list; I am not as efficient as 25hourmaid, very sorry. :oops:

Some schools already prescribe pure sciences for 'O' Level for Secondary 1. :shock:
How useful you think textbooks are for secondary education apart from being the official teaching/study reference? I hope parents can provide and share their views regarding this matter. :?

Thank you.

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby xxjustakidxx » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:43 pm

For IP schools, they use more of notes and lectures. In my booklist for HCI, it is stated that quite a number of books are optional.

xxjustakidxx
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: How different is Secondary 1 Textbooks from school to sc

Postby daisyt » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:54 pm

Bear.w.me wrote:Some schools already prescribe pure sciences for 'O' Level for Secondary 1. :shock:
How useful you think textbooks are for secondary education apart from being the official teaching/study reference? I hope parents can provide and share their views regarding this matter. :?

Thank you.

Yes, in RV, 3 books for Science and they are all "O" level books. These books, I heard, would last them till year 3 or 4.

In RV, there is not textbook to buy for History. The school provided them a book compile by the school, very thin one.

Most of the subjects, they do use textbooks but more on notes and slides. DD has separate files for each subject to file up her notes.

Literature is the only subject that I see, the books are scribble with lots of notes.

Textbooks are still important to act as a reference when the child need to get more informations. Notes and slides given by teachers are more on summary and to study for exam, they still need to refer to the textbooks.

Hope the above help.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby James Ang » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:30 pm

daisyt wrote:
Bear.w.me wrote:Some schools already prescribe pure sciences for 'O' Level for Secondary 1. :shock:

Thank you.

Yes, in RV, 3 books for Science and they are all "O" level books. These books, I heard, would last them till year 3 or 4.

In RV, there is not textbook to buy for History. The school provided them a book compile by the school, very thin one.

Most of the subjects, they do use textbooks but more on notes and slides. DD has separate files for each subject to file up her notes.

Literature is the only subject that I see, the books are scribble with lots of notes.

Textbooks are still important to act as a reference when the child need to get more informations. Notes and slides given by teachers are more on summary and to study for exam, they still need to refer to the textbooks.

Hope the above help.

My student's mother gets worried when her son in RV is asked to buy(use) O levels Pure science textbooks for sec 1. I think Anglican High also uses O levels textbooks for sec 1 Pure Science.

James Ang
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:35 pm

Bear.w.me wrote:
*please highlight any changes, if any or add to the list; I am not as efficient as 25hourmaid, very sorry. :oops:

Haha, Bear.w.me! I have nothing to contribute to this thread, but you really make me laugh. A nice way to end the year 2009! :wink:

Thanks for the compliments! :love: Was my pleasure to be able to contribute something in this forum. :D

A Happy, Peaceful and Healthy 2010 to one and all! :celebrate:

Postby nothing2do » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:59 pm

hi,

Inspiring Discovery in Geo 1A-1D- Starpub
New Syllabus math (6th Ed)- Shinglee
Sci matters vol 1 & 2- Marshall C
The living Past History of ancident india,china & SEA- Marshall C

nothing2do
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tutormum » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:06 am

Earth our Home - Geo
New Discovery Science
Step Ahead - Eng
used in many secondary schools

I have received many different textbooks from relatives and friends. Even though DS3 is not using them in his school, he reads them for interest and reference.

tutormum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

First consolidation

Postby Bear.w.me » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:32 am

Thanks to all who has contributed :thankyou: .
Happy New Year and stay Healthy in 2010 and years to come....your child/children need you. :celebrate:
I am back from a short break.
I consolidate the list as the following:

A. ENGLISH
Step Ahead - Eng (use in many secondary schools)
English Empowers - Panpac (TKGS)

B. SCIENCE
New Discovery Science
Sci matters vol 1 & 2- Marshall C
O Level Biology Matters - MC
O Level Chemistry Matters - MC
O Level Physics Matters - MC

C. GEOGRAPHY
Earth our Home - Geo
Inspiring Discovery in Geo 1A-1D- Starpub
Explore Geography 1 from PanPac used in Crescent Girls School

D. MATHEMATICS
New Syllabus math (6th Ed)- Shinglee
Discovering Mathematics 1A&1B from STAR Publishing used by Crescent Girls and Cedar Girls
Mathematics Matters from PanPac used in DHS

E. HISTORY
The living Past History of ancident india,china & SEA- Marshall C

F. D&T
D&T Design in Life Lower Secondary from Pearson used in Crescent Girls School

G. HOME ECONS
Living SMART (Home Econs) from Pearson used in Crescent Girls School

While to choices of textbooks can be very much different; I believe the way each secondary school carries out its programmes can be very different also.

I think all because of different 'ability' and 'capability' according to the students' performance during PSLE. The school which the students got into will chart their learning content some what...differently.

Don't you think so?

Bear.w.me
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support