2015 O Levels (Sec 4)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:67

Re: 2015 O Levels (Sec 4)

Post by zbear » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:23 pm

ParkYuni wrote: Mine will certainly relax when her turn comes and hope she's not alone.

Indeed, cannot figure out the O level exam timetable plan:
http://www.sst.edu.sg/wp-content/upload ... table1.pdf

Look at 26 Oct, must they squeeze 2 tedious exams, i.e. A math & Chem ppr 2 into one day?
Then now they have so much time to study for MCQs. Thought more time should be given to pupils to study for structured questions; and A maths being so tedious should not fall on the same day as chem paper. :scratchhead: :? :shrug:

Your DD's turn is next year? Your first child taking O levels?

There was 1 day where SS falls on the same day as Bio P2 n both are heavy content. Why can't they put Bio P1 (MCQ) instead?

Apparently SEAB does not look into which subjects have more students taking the exams n never take into consideration these poor students who had to mug n their future lies in their hands.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:17

Post by ParkYuni » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:38 pm

zbear wrote:
Your DD's turn is next year? Your first child taking O levels?

There was 1 day where SS falls on the same day as Bio P2 n both are heavy content. Why can't they put Bio P1 (MCQ) instead?

Apparently SEAB does not look into which subjects have more students taking the exams n never take into consideration these poor students who had to mug n their future lies in their hands.
Yea...Oh dear!! SS & Bio?!! :lightrod:
I think SEAB committee members do not have any teenage kids.

secschbioteacher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by secschbioteacher » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:45 am

Once a upon time, History and Biology papers were on the same day. Hence for many years, schools generally discourage students from offering both subjects. I was one of those buay kia si ones - Didn't sleep at all the night before. I excelled in the morning paper (History) but ran out of battery by the afternoon paper (Biology).

This current arrangement of Amaths+Chem, SS+Bio has been in place for quite a few years. This packed timetable is due to earlier release of O level results (used to be in late Feb, now it is in mid Jan) and delayed closure of sec sch for O levels. Full papers like maths, eng with big candidature are usually taken first to allow for more time for marking, then followed by papers with smaller candidatures. MCQ are usually at the back coz they require less time to mark.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zbear » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 am

secschbioteacher wrote:Once a upon time, History and Biology papers were on the same day. Hence for many years, schools generally discourage students from offering both subjects. I was one of those buay kia si ones - Didn't sleep at all the night before. I excelled in the morning paper (History) but ran out of battery by the afternoon paper (Biology).

It also happened to my DS - he was able to do the morning paper (History) but he was very drained out for the afternoon paper (Physics) n made a lot of mistakes. He felt very upset becos he is better in Physics.

So for the next set of double papers, I got him to drink Brands Essence 2x - one in the morning n the other in the afternoon n it helped. DS said most of his friends do the same. For some with double papers, they will just focus on the subject that they are aiming for good grade at the expense of the other.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zbear » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:25 am

secschbioteacher wrote:
This current arrangement of Amaths+Chem, SS+Bio has been in place for quite a few years. This packed timetable is due to earlier release of O level results (used to be in late Feb, now it is in mid Jan) and delayed closure of sec sch for O levels. Full papers like maths, eng with big candidature are usually taken first to allow for more time for marking, then followed by papers with smaller candidatures. MCQ are usually at the back coz they require less time to mark.

Thanks for info. This sounds very selfish of SEAB/MOE. They are forever rushing the students in everything at their expense.

Looks like choosing a correct combi, one must take all these un-thought details into consideration.

In my opinion, O n A exams are not a test of academic ability. It's also a test of peservance, resilience n patience.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:17

Post by ParkYuni » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:11 pm

secschbioteacher wrote: This current arrangement of Amaths+Chem, SS+Bio has been in place for quite a few years. This packed timetable is due to earlier release of O level results (used to be in late Feb, now it is in mid Jan) and delayed closure of sec sch for O levels. Full papers like maths, eng with big candidature are usually taken first to allow for more time for marking, then followed by papers with smaller candidatures. MCQ are usually at the back coz they require less time to mark.
Does it mean that once a paper is completed, it will be flown to UK for marking on individual subject basis?

But SS will be marked locally. SEAB can set a 'free' day for SS exam right? There will be about 9 weeks for local SS teachers to mark just one paper if SS is scheduled on the last week of exam.
I bet it doesn't work this way. But surely something can be done if SEAB wishes to.

Do UK students take the same papers as ours for their dec exams? I was thinking could it be that our students must follow UK exam schedules to minimise cheating, though they are about 8 hours behind us.

secschbioteacher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by secschbioteacher » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:07 pm

ParkYuni wrote:
secschbioteacher wrote: This current arrangement of Amaths+Chem, SS+Bio has been in place for quite a few years. This packed timetable is due to earlier release of O level results (used to be in late Feb, now it is in mid Jan) and delayed closure of sec sch for O levels. Full papers like maths, eng with big candidature are usually taken first to allow for more time for marking, then followed by papers with smaller candidatures. MCQ are usually at the back coz they require less time to mark.
Does it mean that once a paper is completed, it will be flown to UK for marking on individual subject basis?

But SS will be marked locally. SEAB can set a 'free' day for SS exam right? There will be about 9 weeks for local SS teachers to mark just one paper if SS is scheduled on the last week of exam.
I bet it doesn't work this way. But surely something can be done if SEAB wishes to.

Do UK students take the same papers as ours for their dec exams? I was thinking could it be that our students must follow UK exam schedules to minimise cheating, though they are about 8 hours behind us.
Well, I dont work at SEAB, so I'm not exactly sure how the papers are transported to UK for grading.

But I'm sure the UK students don't offer the same paper as our singaporean students. UK have their international O level papers, which is also offered by Cambridge, but under a different subject code from ours. They have multiple versions of the paper (pitched to the same level of difficulty, usually just a swop of qns sequence) to cater to students across different timezones. You can visit this website: http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Camb ... O%20Level/ for some samples of how the international papers look like.

Usually me and my colleagues do print the latest copy of the international papers for our students to practice as the standards are quite similar.

zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by zbear » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:03 pm

2015 O Levels is FINALLY over.

:rahrah: :rahrah:

Now is waiting for 2 months for release of results.

:xedfingers: :xedfingers:

psle sad mum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by psle sad mum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:17 pm

is this year o level pp generally harder than last year? also roughly how much to get to get a1?

mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by mummyxoxo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:54 pm

My dd told me it was much harder than the previous years'. For your second question, I guess it depends on the cohort's performance this year.