2015 O Levels (Sec 4)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
psle sad mum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: 2015 O Levels (Sec 4)

Post by psle sad mum » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:12 pm

my dd say she minus quite some marks for each pp. hope she can at least get into a decent school with her o level results

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:17

Post by ParkYuni » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:39 am

secschbioteacher wrote: Usually me and my colleagues do print the latest copy of the international papers for our students to practice as the standards are quite similar.
Thanks for your info.
May I know how you manage to get hold of the latest copy of the int'l pprs?
The latest copy refers to the june's paper of the same year or a year earlier or years earlier please?

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by ParkYuni » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:45 am

zbear wrote:2015 O Levels is FINALLY over.

:rahrah: :rahrah:

Now is waiting for 2 months for release of results.

:xedfingers: :xedfingers:
:rahrah: :dancing:

You sound so relieved. Me envious :evil:
The O level exams may be stretchy but I feel it's a good experience for all students taking it.
A test of perseverance, resilience and patience.
Hope to hear good news from you 2 months from now, zbear.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by ParkYuni » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:01 am

psle sad mum wrote:is this year o level pp generally harder than last year? also roughly how much to get to get a1?
:sweat:
Seems like the ten years series may be redundant soon.

In the past, I heard that to get A1 for E math, a student may be required to get about 85% to 90%.
It depends on the difficulty level of each paper and the cohort's performance as mentioned by mummyxoxo.

The last tweak of the 2014 PSLE had caused many to be confused as the pupils' results had dipped so much that many didn't apply to their dream sec schools. Hence many had appealed to their dream schools only after realising that COP of many premier schools had also 'dipped' and they were in fact eligible.

Hope this year O level pupils will not see the same happening. Very heart wrenching at first, though it will still result in happy ending.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:252

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:30 am

ParkYuni wrote:
psle sad mum wrote:is this year o level pp generally harder than last year? also roughly how much to get to get a1?
:sweat:
Seems like the ten years series may be redundant soon.

In the past, I heard that to get A1 for E math, a student may be required to get about 85% to 90%.
It depends on the difficulty level of each paper and the cohort's performance as mentioned by mummyxoxo.

The last tweak of the 2014 PSLE had caused many to be confused as the pupils' results had dipped so much that many didn't apply to their dream sec schools. Hence many had appealed to their dream schools only after realising that COP of many premier schools had also 'dipped' and they were in fact eligible.

Hope this year O level pupils will not see the same happening. Very heart wrenching at first, though it will still result in happy ending.
With so many choices given now, and the way that posting is done, students should always put their 1-2 "dream" schools at the top of the list followed by what they believe are their realistic choices. If they don't get their first 2 choices, they can still get the other choices.

secschbioteacher
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by secschbioteacher » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:45 am

ParkYuni wrote:
secschbioteacher wrote: Usually me and my colleagues do print the latest copy of the international papers for our students to practice as the standards are quite similar.
Thanks for your info.
May I know how you manage to get hold of the latest copy of the int'l pprs?
The latest copy refers to the june's paper of the same year or a year earlier or years earlier please?
We usually use both June papers of the same year and Nov papers from the preceding year. This is assuming the students have finished all standard ten year series qns. I personally feel practising Cambridge papers is much more useful than practising other school prelim papers as standards of papers across different schools fluctuate too much (esp for bio) and their answer scheme is not realistic. Also, exact qns from international papers has higher chances of getting repeated in local papers (plus cambridge answers are available) adds on to the advantages of international papers.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by ParkYuni » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:02 am

slmkhoo wrote:
With so many choices given now, and the way that posting is done, students should always put their 1-2 "dream" schools at the top of the list followed by what they believe are their realistic choices. If they don't get their first 2 choices, they can still get the other choices.
Agree for sec sch posting.
But how is JC posting being done? Heard it is based on 'first-come-first-served' basis and that students are advised not to 'waste' their first choice?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:252

Post by slmkhoo » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:45 pm

ParkYuni wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
Agree for sec sch posting.
But how is JC posting being done? Heard it is based on 'first-come-first-served' basis and that students are advised not to 'waste' their first choice?
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/jae/posting/

Sounds similar to Sec 1 posting. They can put in 12 choices, so I would think that they can afford to "waste" one or two.

ParkYuni
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by ParkYuni » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:17 pm

slmkhoo wrote: http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/admissions/jae/posting/

Sounds similar to Sec 1 posting. They can put in 12 choices, so I would think that they can afford to "waste" one or two.
Thanks for the info, slmkhoo.

psle sad mum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by psle sad mum » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:22 am

is it only certain subjects harder or all? i heard some saying chemistry was rather manageable? my dd finds the amaths pp to be rather challenging.