Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0

Postby ngl2010 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:16 pm

The whole system is very complicated :sweat: . Not as easy as in the link. DS is the first batch to go through the system so no seniors to ask. :cry:

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby Anonymous12345 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:08 pm

ngl2010 wrote:The whole system is very complicated :sweat: . Not as easy as in the link. DS is the first batch to go through the system so no seniors to ask. :cry:


So how is LEAPS 2.0 for your DS? Easier to gain points? I believ my son will be assessed under LEAPS 2.0 as well since he joined Sec 3 as a Returning Singaporean though he is 16 this year. So how well is your DS faring?

Anonymous12345
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:33 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Anonymous12345 wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:The whole system is very complicated :sweat: . Not as easy as in the link. DS is the first batch to go through the system so no seniors to ask. :cry:


So how is LEAPS 2.0 for your DS? Easier to gain points? I believ my son will be assessed under LEAPS 2.0 as well since he joined Sec 3 as a Returning Singaporean though he is 16 this year. So how well is your DS faring?

I don't know about the original LEAPS but there are many domains in LEAPS 2.0 that needs to be fulfilled if your son wants to get 2 bonus points for JC. Your son needs to get at least Level 3 in all domains and one Level 4 in at least one domain.

I suggest that you call MOE for clarification (better if can get black and white answer) because your son will not able to get minimum Level 3 in Participation domain as he would only have participated in CCA for 2 years instead of the required 3 years. Your son also must be more aggressive in getting leadership role for Leadership domain as he doesn't have much time left by the time he graduates from secondary school. There shouldn't have any problem in catching up in Service domain. For Achievement domain, it depends on your son's CCA achievement.

Please see this link for more information https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default-source/document/education/secondary/files/leaps.pdf

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68


Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby Anonymous12345 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:21 pm

ngl2010 wrote:I suggest that you call MOE for clarification (better if can get black and white answer) because your son will not able to get minimum Level 3 in Participation domain as he would only have participated in CCA for 2 years instead of the required 3 years. Your son also must be more aggressive in getting leadership role for Leadership domain as he doesn't have much time left by the time he graduates from secondary school. There shouldn't have any problem in catching up in Service domain. For Achievement domain, it depends on your son's CCA achievement.

Please see this link for more information https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default-source/document/education/secondary/files/leaps.pdf


Care to explain about the leadership domain? I'm curious about it like i dont really understand it and find it the hardest to satisfy

Anonymous12345
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:33 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby ngl2010 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Anonymous12345 wrote:
ngl2010 wrote:I suggest that you call MOE for clarification (better if can get black and white answer) because your son will not able to get minimum Level 3 in Participation domain as he would only have participated in CCA for 2 years instead of the required 3 years. Your son also must be more aggressive in getting leadership role for Leadership domain as he doesn't have much time left by the time he graduates from secondary school. There shouldn't have any problem in catching up in Service domain. For Achievement domain, it depends on your son's CCA achievement.

Please see this link for more information https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default-source/document/education/secondary/files/leaps.pdf


Care to explain about the leadership domain? I'm curious about it like i dont really understand it and find it the hardest to satisfy

That MOE document spells out what is needed to attain a certain level in each domain. Maybe you want me to explain why must be aggressive in leadership domain? Take for example Class Committee. If your son is now selected as Class Committee, he will only attain Level 2. He needs Level 3. So, he will only have one more chance (next year) to be Class Chairman in order to get Level 3. Other children have 4 chances (4 years) to be Class Chairman but your son only have 2 chances.

Or he can be CCA Committee to get Level 3. But since he joined the school in Sec 3, teacher-in-charge may not know his leadership skills yet so it may be hard to get nominated. Also, not many CCA members know him well so he may not win many votes during election.

So, your son needs to quickly plan his strategy and aggressively pursue it if he wants the 2 bonus points.

Jmho

ngl2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6029
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 68



Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby Ikid » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:06 pm

I don't like this system, can't they let the students enjoy their CCA and school just like we used to be?
Now the students need to be competitive both in academics and non academic areas, i.e. To be enthu to be leaders, to be active in school activities and yet need to study well.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am
Total Likes: 21


Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby MrsKiasu » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Could undertstand they want to sift out those good ones...but at the same time I kinda thinking especially due to time constraints, does it actually makes us..do only when there are benefits...

MrsKiasu
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 6471
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:15 pm
Total Likes: 6


Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby Ikid » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:25 pm

I'm quite sure students who want their profile to look attractive will do the necessary but to serve the community with sincerity? I'm doubtful. :smile: Not all sports boys or girls can lead, they can be excellent in their respective arena but leadership may not be there. Same as those strong in academics, excellent in study but can be an introvert.
We need a mix of talents and not all all-rounders.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
 
Posts: 812
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am
Total Likes: 21


Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:28 pm

Ikid wrote:I don't like this system, can't they let the students enjoy their CCA and school just like we used to be?
Now the students need to be competitive both in academics and non academic areas, i.e. To be enthu to be leaders, to be active in school activities and yet need to study well.

Even back in my day, there was some kind of grading for ECA depending on participation, leadership, competition etc. But it was only necessary to meet the minimum for those who weren't interested. Even now, I don't think the LEAPS minimums are too onerous.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 8071
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 173


Re: CCA System LEAPS 2.0 Find out more here.

Postby sushi88 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong.

For students in IP schools, is this CCA thingy still as important?
I thought the CCA points help to reduce the "O" level results aggregate to get into a better JC?

For IP students, it is their choice whether they want to stretch themselves or not, correct? :?

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 2491
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:37 am
Total Likes: 163


Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support