moving from express to normal (acad) stream

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

moving from express to normal (acad) stream

Postby karenmok » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Hello Kiasu parents,
Is it likely that a child move from Express to N(A) stream? My kid not doing too well in S1 and I need to brace myself. Exams are round the corner and she is not willing to study - still fatigued by PSLE.
What can I do? If she becomes serious in studies by June or so, will it be too late already?
Karen

karenmok
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: moving from express to normal (acad) stream

Postby koguma » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:57 pm

karenmok wrote:Hello Kiasu parents,
Is it likely that a child move from Express to N(A) stream? My kid not doing too well in S1 and I need to brace myself. Exams are round the corner and she is not willing to study - still fatigued by PSLE.
What can I do? If she becomes serious in studies by June or so, will it be too late already?
Karen

Check with the school what is the criteria to move from Express to NA.
Usually the school will monitor the student in 2nd semester if the results are bad in Semester 1.

My colleague's son managed to promote to Sec 2 Express although he did quite badly for Sem 1 in Sec 1. His teacher started to monitor him closely and always call my colleague to update her on the son's progress.

I suggest that you talk to the school teacher and ask them what can you and the school do to help your child.

koguma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby cathylmg » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:23 pm

I think you should also education yourself on the criterior to qualify for promotions to Sec 5 as well. Not easy I think.

cathylmg
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby TravelMummy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:58 am

karenmok wrote:Hello Kiasu parents,
Karen

I wouldn't be so worried. Its too early in the year to judge. Most S1 take some time to adjust. Mine woke up only in Aug and stil ok. Perhaps your kid just need some space and time to adjust. Good luck.

TravelMummy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby catddy2002 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:03 am

My DS had behaviour issue and addicted to net gaming when he was sec 1 and it lasted for almost 6 months. Though he only failed 1 subject in SA1 but the rest passed at borderline. I think he was not able to adjust himself to the new school life therefore leads to those problems. After that period, he managed to improve his grade for his SA2. During the difficult time, he was refer to school counselor and she told me my son's case is consider minor. She has many other major cases with sec 1 students as they are not able to adjust to new school and find new friends in the school.

Give your DD some times to adjust.
At the same time, casual talk to her to find out whether she's facing any problems and try to solve them together.
Be patient with her and don't forget to let her know you love her.
My DS counselor told me that 1 of the reason of my DS problem could be due to me tuning my focus to my P3 DD, and he thought I neglected him and left him all alone.
I think this was becuase I had given him almost all my attention since he was P1 as he was academic weak and even neglected my DD's study when she was P1 and P2. I was lucky my DD doing well if not I will blame myself for being unfair to her.

catddy2002
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby lucky8 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:35 pm

Find out the criteria for maintaining in express stream. As long as meet the criteria, then can remain in express stream.

lucky8
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Dr.Daniel » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:02 pm

One other thing to consider when moving from Express to NA is the effect that the other students in the class may have on your child. In the Express track the students tend to be more serious about their studies and in general their behaviour is better. This will have a positive influence on your child.

For NA students, more of the kids have attention span problems and this can be contagious. This is why I tend to be quite strict on behaviour in our classes, and have even removed a few students from classes if there is repeated bad behaviour. Once you lose control of the class, you lose the ability to teach. And it is essential to protect the classroom environment. This is in general easier to do with Express students than with NA.

A large part of a student’s success is their own self-image. And their own self-image is influenced by those around them. I have helped some students get their grades up so they made the move from the NA to Express stream and the parents were very happy with the new environment.

My 2 cents worth is stay in Express if you can.

Dr.Daniel
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby soplusmentor » Fri May 22, 2015 1:32 am

From my experience as an academic mentor with special interest in students who had been persistently underperforming, or from the normal academic stream, I find that school teachers tend to underestimate the abilities of the students they teach. It does not help that there are indeed a few students in a class who might be disruptive during lessons. I know of a science teacher who told me that she tries to avoid bringing her NA class into the science lab due to the fact that classroom management becomes a real chore. For example, she cited an incident in which 6 test tubes were broken by students by the end of a lab lesson which involved simple instructions such as the stirring of salt crystals into a test tube of water.

In truth, most students in NA are often just unmotivated or discouraged when it comes to studying. Many of them also felt guilty that their PSLE results had landed them in the NA stream, thus entering into a cycle of low self-esteem followed by self-fulfilling prophecy. This observation can also be said for students in other streams such as express. I have encountered many lower secondary students who felt discouraged by the sudden decrease in their grades (especially if they had been getting high marks in primary school), or were overwhelmed by the sudden increase in subjects and workload.

When mentoring such children, emphasis should be placed on helping them to realise that they are not alone, and that their situation is totally manageable. My approach will be to focus on imparting study skills ( in particular the skills needed to master each subject, what to do to prevent "blank out" moments in an exam), time management (guiding the child on how to manage his/or everyday time carefully, such as coming up with a proper revision timeline early), and goal setting (offering advice and helping the child realises what motivates him/her and work towards the goals). It is also important for parents to not focus so much about the end results, but rather on their child's progress, for as long as the child is putting in enough effort, good results will become an eventuality. For example, a parent told me recently how happy she was to see her son actually doing self-studying for a subject he dislikes, and he actually improved for that subject during his recent SA1.

Ultimately, the child should be able to realise that true motivation can only come from himself/herself, and that the reason why he/she studies is not for the sake of getting good grades, but an opportunity for him/her to achieve eventual goals.

If any parent has children who are facing similar issues and are interested in helping them further, feel free to contact me. I will be glad to offer insights and help in any way I can. :)

soplusmentor
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support