HELP HELP HELP!!! Sec 2 maths consulation

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

HELP HELP HELP!!! Sec 2 maths consulation

Postby joyzhou » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:43 pm

is sec 2 math that difficult? How come my son always fail the test!! but he is ok with sec 1 maths. and he got maths tuition as well.. :imdrowning: SA2 is coming and this year is the streaming year... anyone have any idea?? :?:

joyzhou
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: HELP HELP HELP!!! Sec 2 maths consulation

Postby angstock » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:48 pm

is ur son understand the concept well? maybe u can check with the tutor for this.. how is his other subj like sci? these two tend to be related.. but of cuz it can be the tutor's prob..

angstock
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby joyzhou » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:44 pm

angstock wrote:is ur son understand the concept well? maybe u can check with the tutor for this.. how is his other subj like sci? these two tend to be related.. but of cuz it can be the tutor's prob..

i actually did check with the tutor.. he said my boy is ok leh.. maybe it is time to look for another tutor.. anyway, his sci is ok liao. sometimes B3, sometime A2.

joyzhou
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Ikid » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:24 pm

joyzhou wrote:is sec 2 math that difficult? How come my son always fail the test!! but he is ok with sec 1 maths. and he got maths tuition as well.. :imdrowning: SA2 is coming and this year is the streaming year... anyone have any idea?? :?:

Have you spoken to his school teacher? After SA1, did you do a follow-up with his school teacher, get a feedback and see in which area he's weak in. After that, get the tutor to strengthen it.
If your tutor say ok, then asked him/her, why then is your son not progressing after tuition.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby joyzhou » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:58 pm

Ikid wrote:
joyzhou wrote:is sec 2 math that difficult? How come my son always fail the test!! but he is ok with sec 1 maths. and he got maths tuition as well.. :imdrowning: SA2 is coming and this year is the streaming year... anyone have any idea?? :?:

Have you spoken to his school teacher? After SA1, did you do a follow-up with his school teacher, get a feedback and see in which area he's weak in. After that, get the tutor to strengthen it.
If your tutor say ok, then asked him/her, why then is your son not progressing after tuition.

yes. the teacher told me he is weak in algebra and linear graph. since then, i engaged a math tutor for him. the tutor said my son tend to make careless mistake and nd more practice.. he is currently an uni student. is it bec of this, so he not v exp in this?? thanks

joyzhou
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mummyxoxo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:02 am

Hi JoyZhou,

Firstly, Sec 2 Math is actually quite similar to Sec 1 Math, so I think the difficulty should not be too unmanageable. Did your son do well in his Sec 1 Math?

I personally do not think that a tutor who is a uni student implies that he or she is not very experienced in tutoring. I am sure many of the parents here have tutors who are currently in uni (me too) and certainly not all of them are inexperienced due to this fact. Take for example, my dd's tutor, although she is still in uni, is currently completing her Minor in Education and has more than 5 years of teaching experience (she started since she was Sec 4). I am sure we have seen tutor who are graduates/full time tutor/even NIE-trained and yet cannot teach well too.

Maybe you want to increase the frequency of the tuition (to twice per week)? Also, try to ask the tutor how to help your son to pull up his grade. However, if you really need to find a replacement tutor, maybe you can consider my dd's tutor (93989072), though she only teaches at Jurong West. Hope this is helpful.

mummyxoxo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby angstock » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 am

joyzhou wrote:
angstock wrote:is ur son understand the concept well? maybe u can check with the tutor for this.. how is his other subj like sci? these two tend to be related.. but of cuz it can be the tutor's prob..

i actually did check with the tutor.. he said my boy is ok leh.. maybe it is time to look for another tutor.. anyway, his sci is ok liao. sometimes B3, sometime A2.

in that case, i'm not sure if you have the intention to change the tutor but I wish to recommend my son's tutor who's an ex-school teacher. He always makes the maths concept simple and easy to understand for my son. He is also very good with his maths teaching methodology and able to equip my son with right and simple skills and strategies to score well in his exam (fail to B). Right now, he is offering a FREE revision workshop for Sec1 and Sec2 students. this is his usual practice in helping another students. the workshop is all about mastering strategies and equip students with the right skills in tackling maths questions during exam. The best is he would spot RIGHT exam questions for the students. If you are keen, you can contact him directly at 9018 3038. hope this helps..

angstock
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Loveconquers » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:49 pm

I think you need to calm down, do you know the reasons why he didn't do well for sec 2? It is not about taking tuition or study harder, the most important thing is to find out the root cause

Loveconquers
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support