IP Syllabus

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

IP Syllabus

Postby mummyjoyce » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:41 am

Hi,
My child is in an IP school and I realise that they dont teach the topic according to the text book. Therefore it is pointless to buy the standard Express guide book for Sec 1 as the topic she is learning is not in the book.

Anyone can guide me what sort of guide books and practise books to buy for IP students? (I was told to buy anything from Sec1 to Sec4 !!!).

Thanks.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:42 am

hi mummyjoice,

For all the 3 Sciences, you can get those O level guide books.

For Maths, some of them also teach year 2 stuffs in year 1. Not all Maths assessment books are suitable because they can be too easy. I bought one quite good but forget the name. I would let you know tomorrow.

For HCL, the schools might get the students to buy those model zuo wen.

For literature, year 1 usually start with very easy books, hence not necessary to get any guide book.

For history, geo, you can refer to these post from other parents
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=7745
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... php?t=7747

Take a look here - Secondary/IP Schools - Academic Preparation & Support, there are many useful links and information.
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... m.php?f=29

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mummyjoyce » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks for the reply. I will be going to Popular this weekend for some research.

mummyjoyce
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby VitoRelax » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:03 pm

mummyjoyce wrote:Thanks for the reply. I will be going to Popular this weekend for some research.

So, how was your research ? what books to buy ?

I remember during my time doing O Levels, I have a lot of Reference Book, This Reference book that I have, after each chapter has lots questions & model answers are provided at the end of the book. The questions are structured from easy to difficult. All past years papers pertaining to that chapter then followed.

But now, I find all the Reference books, only have notes. Like that how does the students practice to test their understanding ? Or am I missing something ....

Any seniors here can help ?

Thanks

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:37 pm

daisyt wrote:
For all the 3 Sciences, you can get those O level guide books.

Pure science or integrated science? eg. O-level guidebooks for Pure Bio, Pure Chem, Pure Physics?? Abit heavy or not? Altho, on the other hand, we already have the bio chem ones at home. ;-)

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ooptimizer » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:11 pm

Should be pure science.

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby VitoRelax » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Paisay ... what is the difference between pure science & integrated science ? :oops: :oops: :oops:

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phankao » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:59 pm

VitoRelax wrote:Paisay ... what is the difference between pure science & integrated science ? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Integrated science would be eg. Physical science. Generally a little simpler. I thot since our kids are in sec 1, maybe the pure science guides might be too "cheem".

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby VitoRelax » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:23 pm

phankao wrote:
VitoRelax wrote:Paisay ... what is the difference between pure science & integrated science ? :oops: :oops: :oops:

Integrated science would be eg. Physical science. Generally a little simpler. I thot since our kids are in sec 1, maybe the pure science guides might be too "cheem".

Hmmm ... paisay ... didn't know got differentiate between integrated csience & pure science ...

I thought when I went to Popular, the books are titled "Physics", "Chemisty" or "Biology" or "Science".

So, who take Integrated Science & who take Pure Science ?

And who take Chemistry, Physics or Biology ?

Okay, I admit I am still pretty confused ... :?

VitoRelax
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby justsay » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:02 pm

VitoRelax wrote:Hmmm ... paisay ... didn't know got differentiate between integrated csience & pure science ...

I thought when I went to Popular, the books are titled "Physics", "Chemisty" or "Biology" or "Science".

So, who take Integrated Science & who take Pure Science ?

And who take Chemistry, Physics or Biology ?

Okay, I admit I am still pretty confused ... :?

Usually at the end of Sec 2, the students are to choose what subject combinations they want for Sec 3. The allocation will be based on their Sec 2 results. Those with good results will go to triple science (3 pure sciences), The rest would get double science (2 pure sciences) or combined science. Chemistry is compulsary for many schools, be it pure or combined.

When you buy guide books for pure sciences, the titles are 'Physics', 'Biology' and 'Chemistry'. Those titled 'Science Physics', 'Science Chemistry' and 'Science Biology' are for combined Science.

justsay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support