What's your biggest headache wrt Social Studies and History?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

What's your biggest headache wrt Social Studies and History?

Postby kgoh » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:18 am

So I was chatting with a mummy friend sometime back. She has a son in IP and lamented that the syllabus these days is so different, she doesn't even know how to help her son who failed in Social Studies. She found the teaching methods, projects and syllabus of that school super interesting, very relevant to real world, but not so helpful when it comes to scoring in the exams.

I've heard many other complaints about SS and History. It seems like if you wanted a torture method for 13-to-16-year olds, SS/History would be it.

Wonder what's the biggest pain point you have when it comes to Social Studies and History?

kgoh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: What's your biggest headache wrt Social Studies and Hist

Postby janet88 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:26 am

facing the same problem here...although 'escaped' taking literature, social studies and elective history is no better.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happyheart » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:38 pm

Can you share what are the challenges and what does it take to do well in in taking SS/ elective History? DS just opted for this combination :sweat:

happyheart
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:05 am

happyheart wrote:Can you share what are the challenges and what does it take to do well in in taking SS/ elective History? DS just opted for this combination :sweat:

social studies is new. for my son who stubbornly refuses to read the newspaper, it is challenging. history isn't so bad...if there is a good guide book, it would be easier to understand the text though.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CatMoon » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:34 am

janet88 wrote:
happyheart wrote:Can you share what are the challenges and what does it take to do well in in taking SS/ elective History? DS just opted for this combination :sweat:

social studies is new. for my son who stubbornly refuses to read the newspaper, it is challenging. history isn't so bad...if there is a good guide book, it would be easier to understand the text though.

Answering the SEQ (essay) questions is not the problem for most students, problem lies in the SBQ (source based) where the student needs to identify the different types of questions: inferences, similarities, differences, comparisons, etc. And these have all specific answer formats themselves, cannot just answer them logically. Some answers must have Verb, Audience, Message, etc. So confusing...... PLUS the marking scheme is so strict. :shrug:

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jenleemum » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:25 am

Yes. I heard from my dd last time that source based question is a killer. it has a very complicated marking scheme that is often not very logical and direct. always need to read in between the lines! while the main essay is usually quite easy and all they need is to memorize and regurgitate some information.

jenleemum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby janet88 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:58 pm

social studies and history is quite related.
getting a good reference title will help though...still waiting for GLM to release the ss and history.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support