Where provides good GP tuition

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Where provides good GP tuition

Postby sunj1252 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:32 am

Hi, I heard the General Paper is very difficult. My son is not good at English and thinking. Can anyone give suggestion or recommend where provides good GP tuition? Thank you.

sunj1252
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Where provides good GP tuition

Postby joeyphay » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:50 am

Hi! I would recommend Teacher Darren from Aspire Hub Bukit Timah branch.(beauty world) He is a passionate teacher who teaches students with patience.

joeyphay
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

1 people like this post

Postby Joy of Learning 111 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:30 pm

sunj1252 wrote:Hi, I heard the General Paper is very difficult. My son is not good at English and thinking. Can anyone give suggestion or recommend where provides good GP tuition? Thank you.

First priority is to improve your son's grasp of English. To do well in GP requires a high standard of English. Therefore, think more in terms of improving English rather than GP per se.

Second priority is to encourage your son to treat GP as a subject he must actively study for. Many students focus more on their content-heavy subjects, especially in the science stream, and neglect the more process- and language-oriented subject of GP.

Third priority is to find someone who can teach critical thinking skills, especially in terms of evaluating arguments. Ideally, you want someone who has had formal academic training in Philosophy.

Fourthly, there are several disciplinary areas in GP, for example economics, environment, mathematics, science, art and philosophy/religion/ethics. Although GP is multi-disciplinary and Cambridge examiners look for evidence of multi-disciplinarity and students being well-read, it is usually pragmatic to focus - for depth - on two or three key areas. Your son should identify which areas particularly interest him.

Finally, read The Straits Times (especially The Sunday Times), The Economist, BBC Knowledge and The Huffington Post on a very regular basis.

Joy of Learning 111
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

1 people like this post

Postby jenleemum » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:18 am

Hi, I dont have any good recommendation for GP tuition. But I think it is similar to english and you should find a tutor who is willing to spend time to analyze and mark your child's work and give good feedback on how to improve it.

jenleemum
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kim1022 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:19 pm

GP is about depth of understanding and clarity of reasoning and arguments.
It is crucial to develop critical thinking skills from reading and like what the above moms say; BBC, The Economist would be good places to start =)

kim1022
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Sieg » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:11 pm

sunj1252 wrote:Hi, I heard the General Paper is very difficult. My son is not good at English and thinking. Can anyone give suggestion or recommend where provides good GP tuition? Thank you.

You can google for 'School of Thoughts' and 'Indigo' which are the favourite English & GP tuition centres of top sec schs and JCs students.
A word of caution: Your DS may find it tough to catch up with the lessons if he has not already had a good grasp of English and argumentative essay writing. These centres have bridging lessons for such students, I believe. Give them a call if you are interested.

Sieg
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby bluepoppy987 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:07 pm

As mentioned by others above, it would be key to first improve your son's grasp of the English language. What language does he primarily speak at home, or when communicating with others?

It would be good to make sure that he is constantly exposed to proper and fluent English, either through watching documentaries/movies/the news, or reading books/news articles. My daughter has always enjoyed reading from a young age, and I really think that helped her build a solid foundation for the language. Encourage your son to read books that are related to his interest.

If he finds it difficult to read news articles to keep up with current affairs, watching the news or short online videos would be a good alternative.

With regards to tuition recommendations, you could try Quintessential Education at Far East Shopping Centre. Their tutors are able to provide both group or one-to-one classes, so you could determine which is best for your son.

bluepoppy987
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support