2016 O levels (Kids born in 2000)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: 2016 O levels (Kids born in 2000)

Post by Kee Kor » Tue May 09, 2017 7:22 am

DS will not be joining cca in poly. Advised by lecturers and seniors best not to as there will be a lot of projects and very tight datelines in the pipeline. He's in a design course. Since 1st day of sch he's had assignments and due within 1-2 days...

Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Kee Kor » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:20 pm

Can anyone tell me what kind of GPA score is considered ok? My boy just got his semester 1 results from the poly. 3.36 GPA

TWU
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:15

2016 O levels (Kids born in 2000)

Post by TWU » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:35 pm

Kee Kor wrote:Can anyone tell me what kind of GPA score is considered ok? My boy just got his semester 1 results from the poly. 3.36 GPA
Hi Kee Kor,

Hope you don’t mind, it’s advisable for your child to score above GPA 3.5 in order to stand good chance for admission to local universities in future.

GCE O level results of polytechnic graduate will be taken into consideration for admission to local universities too.

Please refer to the following link for further details:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/apply-to-nus/ ... o-NUS.html

http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/Undergradu ... .aspx#admc

TWU
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by TWU » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:59 pm

Hi Kee Kor,

You may refer to the following links for Polytechnic GPAs of the 10th & 90th percentiles of Polytechnic applicants offered places for programmes at both NUS & NTU:

http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/gradeprofile/ ... e-igp.html

http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/website_fil ... TU_IGP.pdf

Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Kee Kor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:54 am

Thanks I really appreciate all your advises. DS is in an architecture related course. A GPA of 3.5 and above will require quite a bit of catching up and hard work for him next semester onwards.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:139

Post by janet88 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:37 am

Kee Kor wrote:Thanks I really appreciate all your advises. DS is in an architecture related course. A GPA of 3.5 and above will require quite a bit of catching up and hard work for him next semester onwards.
hi kee kor,
it is indeed hard work and require lots of discipline to get 3.5 GPA.
but this being the dragon year batch, they really have no choice if they want to get into local U.

Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Kee Kor » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:32 pm

janet88 wrote:
Kee Kor wrote:Thanks I really appreciate all your advises. DS is in an architecture related course. A GPA of 3.5 and above will require quite a bit of catching up and hard work for him next semester onwards.
hi kee kor,
but this being the dragon year batch, they really have no choice if they want to get into local U.
Dragon year headache! DS said top in his course got 3.5+ GPA. Not good too

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:139

Post by janet88 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:06 am

Kee Kor wrote:
janet88 wrote:
hi kee kor,
Dragon year headache! DS said top in his course got 3.5+ GPA. Not good too
son got GPA of 3.5 and still didn't make it to dean's list. CCA is a must to gain points in order to enter local U. son's classmates have 5 or 6 CCAs...it's tough balancing. for first semestral exam, he has done well on his own. so what he needs is encouragement and praise to do better for the exams in Dec before the start of 2nd year poly.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:14

Post by Coolkidsrock2 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:51 pm

How do we check if kid is on Dean's List? DD's friends do not talk about grades so not sure how she stakes up. In fact, they don't even talk about which schools they come from.

kitty2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:3

Post by kitty2 » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:04 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:How do we check if kid is on Dean's List? DD's friends do not talk about grades so not sure how she stakes up. In fact, they don't even talk about which schools they come from.
Those in Dean's list will be rewarded. Their GPA is always above 3.7 to perfect score !