2016 O levels (Kids born in 2000)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: 2016 O levels (Kids born in 2000)

Post by Kee Kor » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 am

janet88 wrote:
Kee Kor wrote:What's difference between CCAs and getting CIP hours or participating in school events? Which is more important ?
CCA and CIP is to make the student's porfolio more colourful...doing CIP is to get points, the more the merrier and to enhance the chances of getting into local U on top of getting high GPA.
So is CIP hours done on a yearly basis or 3 yrs combined? : :shrug:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:34 am

my son is doing 义工 this friday. for the last event, he received 2 points for doing visiting old age home.

poly semester 2 starts next monday.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:227

Post by slmkhoo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:38 am

Kee Kor wrote:So is CIP hours done on a yearly basis or 3 yrs combined? : :shrug:
CIP is now called VIA (Values in Action) - changed name, same thing. Unless the rules have changed since my daughter's time, there is a minimum no. for each year (6 hrs), and it's for 4 yrs, not 3. The total is the no. of hours over the 4 yrs. Most students will try to clock more hours in the first 3 yrs.

Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Kee Kor » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:16 am

janet88 wrote:my son is doing 义工 this friday. for the last event, he received 2 points for doing visiting old age home.

poly semester 2 starts next monday.
Janet how do they calculate the points? and DS need to submit to the poly himself?

Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Kee Kor » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:19 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Kee Kor wrote:So is CIP hours done on a yearly basis or 3 yrs combined? : :shrug:
CIP is now called VIA (Values in Action) - changed name, same thing. Unless the rules have changed since my daughter's time, there is a minimum no. for each year (6 hrs), and it's for 4 yrs, not 3. The total is the no. of hours over the 4 yrs. Most students will try to clock more hours in the first 3 yrs.
My DS has been doing volunteer work since after sec 4 and throughout this year out of the poly. So he has clocked many hours but not sure what to do.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:227

Post by slmkhoo » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:28 am

Kee Kor wrote:My DS has been doing volunteer work since after sec 4 and throughout this year out of the poly. So he has clocked many hours but not sure what to do.
Check with the poly - best place to start is the one-stop-centre or student services or whatever it's called in the different polys. Not everything can be counted though, and he will probably need documentary proof. The various polys may do things differently.

Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Kee Kor » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:40 am

slmkhoo wrote:
Kee Kor wrote:My DS has been doing volunteer work since after sec 4 and throughout this year out of the poly. So he has clocked many hours but not sure what to do.
Check with the poly - best place to start is the one-stop-centre or student services or whatever it's called in the different polys. Not everything can be counted though, and he will probably need documentary proof. The various polys may do things differently.
Ok thanks!

Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Kee Kor » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:59 am

Does it make any difference if DS clock min CIP hours or he has lots more hours?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:136

Post by janet88 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:29 am

Kee Kor wrote:Does it make any difference if DS clock min CIP hours or he has lots more hours?
i am not sure about those hours...son only clocks up hours during holidays. it's only been 6 months since he started poly, so i don't think he has many hours/points. he did tell me some classmates took up several CCAs to clock up points.

Kee Kor
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Kee Kor » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:38 am

janet88 wrote:
Kee Kor wrote:Does it make any difference if DS clock min CIP hours or he has lots more hours?
i am not sure about those hours...son only clocks up hours during holidays. it's only been 6 months since he started poly, so i don't think he has many hours/points. he did tell me some classmates took up several CCAs to clock up points.
CCAs get points too? My DS is very blur one. He does regular volunteer word but that's it.no clue what to do with his CIP hours :frustrated: