Recommend Sec 3 A Math assessment books

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Recommend Sec 3 A Math assessment books

Postby concerned1970 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi,

Which is the best A Math assessment books u would recommend? Thanks.

concerned1970
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Recommend Sec 3 A Math assessment books

Postby kennethTutor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Firstly, since A Maths is a two year course covered over Sec 3 and 4, there should be very little or no assessment books focusing on Sec 3 topics. Most of them cover all the topics in one book.

I have two books to recommend. Both are available in Popular and provide topical practice:

The first is Additional Mathematics Mentor by Shinglee. This is a study guide which contains concise notes, formulas, worked examples and practice questions. It comes with complete solution. This book is ideal for self-study. (Some schools recommend their students to buy this book!)

The second is Additional Mathematics 360 Extra Practice Workbook by Marshall Cavendish. This is purely a workbook which means no notes and examples. Get this book if you are looking for even more practice.

Another point to note for both books is that both sort questions according to difficulty. I.e. Basic, Intermediate & Advanced. Depending on the ability of the student he/she can choose the appropriate section to begin with.

I posted detailed reviews of these two books on my blog. You can find them: http://www.tuitionkenneth.com/blog/?tag=Assessment+Book.

Disclaimer: There are many other A Maths assessment books available, and I do not have the opportunity to look at all of them. I recommend the books mentioned above based on my own judgement and feedback from my students.

Side-note: For more practice for Mid-years and End-of-years, you might want to look at past year papers from other schools. I believe there should be a post regarding past year papers in this forum.

Hope this helps!

kennethTutor
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby concerned1970 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:05 pm

Thank you so much, greatly appreciated. i will buy shinglee assessment book as u recommended. :-)

concerned1970
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Anonymous12345 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:30 am

concerned1970 wrote:Thank you so much, greatly appreciated. i will buy shinglee assessment book as u recommended. :-)

Hi I will recommend perfect guide additional math book A and B as it has notes and step by step solution. The shingles one is good also but if your son is particularly weak in A math , I think the perfect guide is the best as the Shinglee one assumes you have great knowledge of the content and thus skip the methods in the answer key.

Anonymous12345
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support