2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby janet88 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:08 pm

intensive term 3 ahead. teachers are trying to complete the syllabus so as to have time to revise in term 4.
after the 1 week holiday in september, end of year exams begin end sep and sec 1 is over :nailbite:

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 38093
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 121


Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:48 pm

Yup. Time passes very fast once they go into secondary school. Am pretty hands off now and feels like we are back to times before kids.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1994
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:03 pm
Total Likes: 9


Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby janet88 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:09 pm

Coolkidsrock2 wrote:Yup. Time passes very fast once they go into secondary school. Am pretty hands off now and feels like we are back to times before kids.

secondary school term is fast because of the longer hours in school and time seems to zip past in front of your eyes. 3 months more and it's the end of the school term. last day of school will be on 27/10 for daughter.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 38093
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 121


Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby elenang » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:04 am

busygal wrote:I am using Life360 to track my son's location. Just download the app. Available from itune or google play store. So far accuracy is 95%-98%.


Thanks for sharing.

elenang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
 
Posts: 148
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:07 pm
Total Likes: 1


Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby MyPillow » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:17 am

elenang wrote:
busygal wrote:I am using Life360 to track my son's location. Just download the app. Available from itune or google play store. So far accuracy is 95%-98%.


Thanks for sharing.


yes, thk you busygal.
I am on Find friends currently, but find the gps tracker not working as well as before now

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 5698
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 pm
Total Likes: 11



Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby Nebbermind » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:06 am

do all tracker apps require the GPS to be turned on or can make use of the 4G connection info?

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 15707
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:40 am
Total Likes: 157


Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby ndnck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:
elenang wrote:Yes, usually see a lot of kids in uniform hanging out at shopping malls like Nex....

By the way, I got the Redmi Note 4 phone and I must say it's not too bad. I managed to install google location sharing and I am also trying this Norton parental app where I will be able to track her search engines and see what websites and apps she surfs. I know I might get slammed by people who say I am invading her privacy but I think at 13 it's important for me to know what she is googling.


I use a free app Qustodio. The free version gives a usage report . So you get a web activity, social activity and activity timeline and activity summary. You can see today or last 7 days activity. The premium version has a lot more features especially for controlling activity but is expensive. If your purpose is monitoring then the free version fits.

No nobody should slam you for monitoring - it is hard to be an informed and involved parent. Cyber security and wellness experts recommand that parents monitor the content and usage of sites teens visit besides guiding them with the dos and donts and etiquette of social media/forums. It is actually hard for us parents to keep up with the latest in tech, making that a tough job.

DS got his own smart phone only this year. I have let my Ds know that I will monitor and continue to do so for the next few years.I have the lock password too. Initially he was very indignant and bristled about lack of privacy. Slowly, he has accepted it and I keep my intervention minimal. I dont police the content/language of his chats, especially what his other friends post, as long as his behaviour is reasonable. Even when he over used his phone, I just show him the daily report , which gives a pie chart of hours of usage and in which app. And he calibrates it down by himself. The punishment is if he doesnt i will confiscate his phone. So far I never had to.


Hi Posting for the first time. Qustodio app is for iphone, do we have a similar type for Android Phones? Anyone can advise?

ndnck
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:23 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby ndnck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:53 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:
elenang wrote:Yes, usually see a lot of kids in uniform hanging out at shopping malls like Nex....

By the way, I got the Redmi Note 4 phone and I must say it's not too bad. I managed to install google location sharing and I am also trying this Norton parental app where I will be able to track her search engines and see what websites and apps she surfs. I know I might get slammed by people who say I am invading her privacy but I think at 13 it's important for me to know what she is googling.


I use a free app Qustodio. The free version gives a usage report . So you get a web activity, social activity and activity timeline and activity summary. You can see today or last 7 days activity. The premium version has a lot more features especially for controlling activity but is expensive. If your purpose is monitoring then the free version fits.

No nobody should slam you for monitoring - it is hard to be an informed and involved parent. Cyber security and wellness experts recommand that parents monitor the content and usage of sites teens visit besides guiding them with the dos and donts and etiquette of social media/forums. It is actually hard for us parents to keep up with the latest in tech, making that a tough job.

DS got his own smart phone only this year. I have let my Ds know that I will monitor and continue to do so for the next few years.I have the lock password too. Initially he was very indignant and bristled about lack of privacy. Slowly, he has accepted it and I keep my intervention minimal. I dont police the content/language of his chats, especially what his other friends post, as long as his behaviour is reasonable. Even when he over used his phone, I just show him the daily report , which gives a pie chart of hours of usage and in which app. And he calibrates it down by himself. The punishment is if he doesnt i will confiscate his phone. So far I never had to.


Hi Posting for the first time. Qustodio app is for iphone, do we have a similar type for Android Phones? Anyone can advise?

ndnck
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:23 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby ndnck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Sun_2010 wrote:
elenang wrote:Yes, usually see a lot of kids in uniform hanging out at shopping malls like Nex....

By the way, I got the Redmi Note 4 phone and I must say it's not too bad. I managed to install google location sharing and I am also trying this Norton parental app where I will be able to track her search engines and see what websites and apps she surfs. I know I might get slammed by people who say I am invading her privacy but I think at 13 it's important for me to know what she is googling.


I use a free app Qustodio. The free version gives a usage report . So you get a web activity, social activity and activity timeline and activity summary. You can see today or last 7 days activity. The premium version has a lot more features especially for controlling activity but is expensive. If your purpose is monitoring then the free version fits.

No nobody should slam you for monitoring - it is hard to be an informed and involved parent. Cyber security and wellness experts recommand that parents monitor the content and usage of sites teens visit besides guiding them with the dos and donts and etiquette of social media/forums. It is actually hard for us parents to keep up with the latest in tech, making that a tough job.

DS got his own smart phone only this year. I have let my Ds know that I will monitor and continue to do so for the next few years.I have the lock password too. Initially he was very indignant and bristled about lack of privacy. Slowly, he has accepted it and I keep my intervention minimal. I dont police the content/language of his chats, especially what his other friends post, as long as his behaviour is reasonable. Even when he over used his phone, I just show him the daily report , which gives a pie chart of hours of usage and in which app. And he calibrates it down by himself. The punishment is if he doesnt i will confiscate his phone. So far I never had to.


Hi Posting for the first time. Qustodio app is for iphone, do we have a similar type for Android Phones? Anyone can advise?

ndnck
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:23 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby ndnck » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:57 pm

Sorry for posting 3times!

ndnck
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:23 pm
Total Likes: 0


PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support