LEARNConcierge

2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby Sun_2010 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:18 pm

ndnck wrote:
Sun_2010 wrote:
elenang wrote:Yes, usually see a lot of kids in uniform hanging out at shopping malls like Nex....

By the way, I got the Redmi Note 4 phone and I must say it's not too bad. I managed to install google location sharing and I am also trying this Norton parental app where I will be able to track her search engines and see what websites and apps she surfs. I know I might get slammed by people who say I am invading her privacy but I think at 13 it's important for me to know what she is googling.

I use a free app Qustodio. The free version gives a usage report . So you get a web activity, social activity and activity timeline and activity summary. You can see today or last 7 days activity. The premium version has a lot more features especially for controlling activity but is expensive. If your purpose is monitoring then the free version fits.

No nobody should slam you for monitoring - it is hard to be an informed and involved parent. Cyber security and wellness experts recommand that parents monitor the content and usage of sites teens visit besides guiding them with the dos and donts and etiquette of social media/forums. It is actually hard for us parents to keep up with the latest in tech, making that a tough job.

DS got his own smart phone only this year. I have let my Ds know that I will monitor and continue to do so for the next few years.I have the lock password too. Initially he was very indignant and bristled about lack of privacy. Slowly, he has accepted it and I keep my intervention minimal. I dont police the content/language of his chats, especially what his other friends post, as long as his behaviour is reasonable. Even when he over used his phone, I just show him the daily report , which gives a pie chart of hours of usage and in which app. And he calibrates it down by himself. The punishment is if he doesnt i will confiscate his phone. So far I never had to.

Hi Posting for the first time. Qustodio app is for iphone, do we have a similar type for Android Phones? Anyone can advise?

Yes there is. Ds has an Android phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... oapp&hl=en

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:38 am

If my daughter knows I'm checking her movements, she will switch off whatever GPS or location on her mobile phone. She is good at all this...in fact both she and son are very updated with IT gadgets...definitely inherited from daddy.

Just the other day I reminded her time is very very precious and year end exams are approaching. So she has to be hardworking and do well. Usually I don't want to stress her but she does slack occasionally.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:14 am

Kiddos know that we do monitor them and we told them never to block us. It is for their safety and security. And if they are not doing anything that breaks the rules and what is agreed upon, they should not have any issues with us knowing where they went.

Even for monitoring the sites they visit, etc. Explained to them that there are many online stuff that appears innocent but are actually entrapments for young impressionable minds like theirs. Again, they muss trust that we parents are only looking out for their safety and well-being, not that we do not trust them. Told them their father is even tempted to monitor their granma's online activities as she was almost scammed a few times.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:07 am

Sites wise, it's usually YouTube and instagram.
WhatsApp messages from classmates after school are so active. I have issued warnings to her. With iPhone, she can't download apps without password. Son knows this, which is why he uses android. But this fella is more obedient. The girl needs more control.
Homework starting to build up.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby reddiechan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Funz wrote:Kiddos know that we do monitor them and we told them never to block us. It is for their safety and security. And if they are not doing anything that breaks the rules and what is agreed upon, they should not have any issues with us knowing where they went.

Even for monitoring the sites they visit, etc. Explained to them that there are many online stuff that appears innocent but are actually entrapments for young impressionable minds like theirs. Again, they muss trust that we parents are only looking out for their safety and well-being, not that we do not trust them. Told them their father is even tempted to monitor their granma's online activities as she was almost scammed a few times.

:goodpost:

Classic good parenting skill: set and enforce reasonable limits, also explain rationale. 玉不琢不成器

reddiechan
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby busygal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm

janet88 wrote:If my daughter knows I'm checking her movements, she will switch off whatever GPS or location on her mobile phone. She is good at all this...in fact both she and son are very updated with IT gadgets...definitely inherited from daddy.

Just the other day I reminded her time is very very precious and year end exams are approaching. So she has to be hardworking and do well. Usually I don't want to stress her but she does slack occasionally.

My son knows that we are able to track his location. We did not do it secretly. It works both ways, I can track him, he can track us too. So we tell him, as a family, we don't hide our location from each other, nothing to hide if not doing anything wrong. So far, he is not complaining and has yet to turn off the location/GPS. Probably because he has no intention to go where he is not suppose to, so he does not care that he is being track. Maybe he not at the 'rebellious' stage yet. But I love the app. It's convenient for me to estimate the time he will get home so that I can prepare a hot meal for him (not too early, not too late, just nice). Whenever I have to pick him up, he is also able to track me and know how far away I am from his location. Thus he can wait inside the building and walk out only when I am almost at the pick up point. No need to whatsapp, call or message each other. Just check the app and be ready.

busygal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby busygal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:25 pm

Funz wrote:Kiddos know that we do monitor them and we told them never to block us. It is for their safety and security. And if they are not doing anything that breaks the rules and what is agreed upon, they should not have any issues with us knowing where they went.

I did not warn my boy not to block us. I just assume he will not block us! lol

How do you monitor the sites they visit? An App?
So far I just randomly check his phone website history and messages. Have not found anything to be concern about. But I am pretty sure they are savvy enough to delete what they don't want us to see before getting home. His only window to try funny tricks will be during his bus journey from school to home. Once he gets home, I am at home, no chance to try any nonsense. I am going to assume no chance to try nonsense in school too.

busygal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:14 am

busygal wrote:

I did not warn my boy not to block us. I just assume he will not block us! lol

How do you monitor the sites they visit? An App?
So far I just randomly check his phone website history and messages. Have not found anything to be concern about. But I am pretty sure they are savvy enough to delete what they don't want us to see before getting home. His only window to try funny tricks will be during his bus journey from school to home. Once he gets home, I am at home, no chance to try any nonsense. I am going to assume no chance to try nonsense in school too.

Not implying anything, just fyi - There is the incognito mode on chrome, where the sites we visit are not saved.

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sky minecrafter » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:46 am

history.google.com keeps a copy of browsing history in the backend, which can only be removed if the account is signed in...

sky minecrafter
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

A Meteor Of Words

Postby nansk » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Any Nan Hua High parents here? I want to know more about their lit. publication, A Meteor Of Words.

nansk
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge