LEARNConcierge

2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: 2017 Sec 1 (For those born in 2004)

Postby janet88 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:24 am

tests for the next 2-3 weeks. other than math this friday, science and geography next week...that's about all i know. some literature competition in august. it's like 7.5 months since sec 1 started.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MyPillow » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:02 am

janet88 wrote:tests for the next 2-3 weeks. other than math this friday, science and geography next week...that's about all i know. some literature competition in august. it's like 7.5 months since sec 1 started.

Class test or CA ?
My ds ones are class test this term / he rather relax !
Dd pri sch is on CA - more stress lei
Term 3 also a lot of events , nat day , teacher day , hari raya, racial harmony etc all eat up academic period! Having class test is more manageable in such tight period

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:31 pm

MyPillow wrote:Class test or CA ?
My ds ones are class test this term / he rather relax !
Dd pri sch is on CA - more stress lei
Term 3 also a lot of events , nat day , teacher day , hari raya, racial harmony etc all eat up academic period! Having class test is more manageable in such tight period

class and common tests.

FT told me term 3 has many events and this will disrupt academic teaching lessons. hike yesterday whole day, national day 9aug / 10aug holiday, eve of teachers' day early dismissal, teachers' day holiday 31/8 haji 1/9 holiday. that's it! end of term 3. term 4, there will be year end exam. sec 1 is over!

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:02 pm

sec 1 end of year exam time table is out :sweat: really really sweating when daughter showed it to me after school. that only means one thing...sep holidays BURNT!

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nansk » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:15 pm

janet88 wrote:some literature competition in august.

Can you find out which lit competition that is? My dd may be interested to see the entries.

nansk
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby MyPillow » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:47 pm

janet88 wrote:sec 1 end of year exam time table is out :sweat: really really sweating when daughter showed it to me after school. that only means one thing...sep holidays BURNT!

i thought this is common for sec or tertiary sch life - fret not, u have rich experiences from your elder one . Enjoy the long wk end while u can, eat happy food, watch drama u like

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm

janet88 wrote:sec 1 end of year exam time table is out :sweat: really really sweating when daughter showed it to me after school. that only means one thing...sep holidays BURNT!

I'm sure you already knew roughly when the exams would be, so seeing the timetable shouldn't make any difference to your plans, I would have thought. Up to Sec 4 it's still not so bad as the exams are not immediately after the holiday. My daughter was complaining last night that since starting JC, every holiday other than the year-end one is *supposed* to be spent studying because there's always tests or exams immediately after each holiday. I say *supposed* because although she does put in several hours a day of concentrated work, she also manages to get a good amount of play into her holidays. In general, we feel that if she has spent 4-5 hrs studying, it will be diminishing marginal returns after that, and she might as well go and relax.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby limlim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:54 pm

janet88 wrote:If my daughter knows I'm checking her movements, she will switch off whatever GPS or location on her mobile phone. She is good at all this...in fact both she and son are very updated with IT gadgets...definitely inherited from daddy.

Just the other day I reminded her time is very very precious and year end exams are approaching. So she has to be hardworking and do well. Usually I don't want to stress her but she does slack occasionally.

You can turn on restrictions and don't let her know the passcode (it's different from screen lock password).

under restrictions, turn findmyphone & location services on. She can't turn it off. Although she can turn off her phone if she really don't want you to track.

limlim
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:13 pm

slmkhoo wrote:I'm sure you already knew roughly when the exams would be, so seeing the timetable shouldn't make any difference to your plans, I would have thought. Up to Sec 4 it's still not so bad as the exams are not immediately after the holiday. My daughter was complaining last night that since starting JC, every holiday other than the year-end one is *supposed* to be spent studying because there's always tests or exams immediately after each holiday. I say *supposed* because although she does put in several hours a day of concentrated work, she also manages to get a good amount of play into her holidays. In general, we feel that if she has spent 4-5 hrs studying, it will be diminishing marginal returns after that, and she might as well go and relax.

i have a rough idea when exams will start...but planning a revision schedule is a different thing.
with son, i left it completely to him after about 6 months in sec 1...but i can't do the same with daughter just yet. oh yes...she complained that since starting sec 1, it's been endless class tests, common tests, CA and SA. art, drama as well as design & technology take up a fair bit of time.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby randwick » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi folks!!! Cannot believe it is the year end exams next week! This year, I find is even faster than last year! Can still remember our kids taking the PSLE 1 year ago!

All the best to the coming exams! :rahrah:

randwick
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge