After O levels: JC or Poly?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby angwc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:44 am

O levels result releasing soon. Which path to go? JC or poly? Allow me to share my personal opinions through my blog after having some experience coaching in both institutions.
https://alevelmathtuition.sg/2017/01/07 ... c-or-poly/

angwc
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby janet88 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:10 pm

JC route would be another academic path like o levels. poly would be hands-on practical experience.
it depends on the child's interest because he/she would be the one studying. hubby has a friend whose daughter got fed up of the academic stress and is now in a poly and she is very happy. ultimately as parents, we want our kids to go to school healthy and happy.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby CatMoon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:57 am

That's very true! The child's interest is very important.
Several of my girl's seniors who applied for poly without knowing what they wanted to do but didn't want to do their O-levels eventually dropped out of the institutions. Some had even transferred to other courses but still weren't interested in continuing their studies.

CatMoon
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby floppy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 am

I had the pleasure of catching up with friends to la kopi over a few open houses recently. The general consensus from the academics / lecturers / teachers / administrators seem to be that the young people these days aren't too keen on attending open houses. They prefer to receive "information" from word of mouth or via the social media channel. As such, they may not be able to find out first hand whether some of the courses are suitable for them or match their interest. Often, they only wanted to apply for the "hot" courses or courses that they had heard of or courses that their parents asked to them to apply.

Both JC or poly route will work if the student is keen on his chosen course of study. A motivated and interested student will always do well. There's no fixed route given the number of pathways that had opened up over the years (that said, the extra pathways do put the average or weak JC students at a severe disadvantage).

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby precioustime96 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:47 pm

JC is better if you intend to study academically rigorous courses in Uni. If your child has little interest in academia, then Poly would be the way to go generally.

precioustime96
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby janet88 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:58 am

precioustime96 wrote:JC is better if you intend to study academically rigorous courses in Uni. If your child has little interest in academia, then Poly would be the way to go generally.

my son is a chip off the old block. he knows how to operate any IT gadget without reading the manual. he took infocomm as his CCA but after 4 years of it, he got so tired.
one would have thought he would take up infocomm in the poly, but firstly he didn't make it to ngee ann (his dream poly) based on his points but now he is undecisive what to do. doing A levels would give him that luxury of time to decide, like what the other ladies mentioned...not to forget another 2 years in NS...so a total of 5 years for him to decide what course to take & what he plans to do.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support