LEARNConcierge

After O levels: JC or Poly?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby Childrenisablessing » Fri May 05, 2017 1:04 pm

jtoh wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
Childrenisablessing wrote:She wants to go JC but i worried after reading the post here that if she is weak in languages, she shouldnt be going JC track. Should I persuade her to go Poly instead?

How weak are her languages? And really, only English matters as long as she can pass MT. For GP, content and logical thought matter as much as language, so if she can write grammatically and clearly, she should be OK. Creative writing is not needed at JC! She should probably avoid the Arts subjects which require more essay-writing.


I agree with slmkhoo. You just need to pass MT at D7 to go to local uni. GP is as much content and logical thought as language. If she prefers an academic path and is interested in the sciences and maths, JC should be ok. Just don't go for subjects like Lit, ELL, history...


i m not familiar with JC stuff..meaning in JC we also get to chose the subject combination?

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby Childrenisablessing » Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm

janet88 wrote:My kids cannot go to JC...languages will kill them. Besides, these 2 are the hands on type. My son is enjoying his EEE course. That's most important. As long as he is enjoying the course, he will want to do well.


i am also thinking of encouraging her to go poly but she doesnt know what she wants to do yet... she only aims to go JC at the moment. so now i am in a dilemma how to advise her.

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby slmkhoo » Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm

Childrenisablessing wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:
Childrenisablessing wrote:She wants to go JC but i worried after reading the post here that if she is weak in languages, she shouldnt be going JC track. Should I persuade her to go Poly instead?

How weak are her languages? And really, only English matters as long as she can pass MT. For GP, content and logical thought matter as much as language, so if she can write grammatically and clearly, she should be OK. Creative writing is not needed at JC! She should probably avoid the Arts subjects which require more essay-writing.


she doesnt like chinese since primary school days.. so her chinese is usually a C5 or C6. Her English is usually B4 but she got As for other subjects. She only takes Combined Geo and Social Studies in school.
what kind of subjects are available in JC? She shd be able to pass her English.

Read up on MOE website:
https://www.moe.gov.sg/microsites/cpdd/ ... b_comb.htm

GP is compulsory, but it's an H1 subject. It's only necessary to get a D7 in MT to get into local U, and it doesn't have to be counted in.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 10319
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:16 pm
Total Likes: 195


Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby Childrenisablessing » Fri May 05, 2017 1:09 pm

thanks you slmkhoo

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby jtoh » Fri May 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Childrenisablessing wrote:
jtoh wrote:
I agree with slmkhoo. You just need to pass MT at D7 to go to local uni. GP is as much content and logical thought as language. If she prefers an academic path and is interested in the sciences and maths, JC should be ok. Just don't go for subjects like Lit, ELL, history...


i m not familiar with JC stuff..meaning in JC we also get to chose the subject combination?


GP and PW are compulsory. Both of these are H1 subjects. MT is compulsory but you would clear this by end J1.

You need to select 4 core subjects, which have to be a combination of Science and Arts subjects. So you can choose to do 3 Science + 1 Arts subject, 2 Sci + 2 Arts, or 3 Arts and 1 Science. These are the most important subjects as they comprise a larger share of the UAS calculations. Your kid's school will brief them on the subject combinations for them to consider at a later date.

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11193
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 100



Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby masteryourmath » Fri May 05, 2017 1:58 pm

jtoh wrote:
Childrenisablessing wrote:
jtoh wrote:
I agree with slmkhoo. You just need to pass MT at D7 to go to local uni. GP is as much content and logical thought as language. If she prefers an academic path and is interested in the sciences and maths, JC should be ok. Just don't go for subjects like Lit, ELL, history...


i m not familiar with JC stuff..meaning in JC we also get to chose the subject combination?


GP and PW are compulsory. Both of these are H1 subjects. MT is compulsory but you would clear this by end J1.

You need to select 4 core subjects, which have to be a combination of Science and Arts subjects. So you can choose to do 3 Science + 1 Arts subject, 2 Sci + 2 Arts, or 3 Arts and 1 Science. These are the most important subjects as they comprise a larger share of the UAS calculations. Your kid's school will brief them on the subject combinations for them to consider at a later date.


I like to also add on that your child can either choose 3H2s + 1 H1 or 4H2s. H2s are considered the "higher level" so it is generally encouraged for students to take 4 H2s if they can cope.

masteryourmath
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby Childrenisablessing » Mon May 08, 2017 1:55 pm

jtoh wrote:
Childrenisablessing wrote:
jtoh wrote:
I agree with slmkhoo. You just need to pass MT at D7 to go to local uni. GP is as much content and logical thought as language. If she prefers an academic path and is interested in the sciences and maths, JC should be ok. Just don't go for subjects like Lit, ELL, history...


i m not familiar with JC stuff..meaning in JC we also get to chose the subject combination?


GP and PW are compulsory. Both of these are H1 subjects. MT is compulsory but you would clear this by end J1.

You need to select 4 core subjects, which have to be a combination of Science and Arts subjects. So you can choose to do 3 Science + 1 Arts subject, 2 Sci + 2 Arts, or 3 Arts and 1 Science. These are the most important subjects as they comprise a larger share of the UAS calculations. Your kid's school will brief them on the subject combinations for them to consider at a later date.


thanks, may i ask what is PW?

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby jtoh » Mon May 08, 2017 2:14 pm

PW = Project Work

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 11193
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm
Total Likes: 100


Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby Childrenisablessing » Mon May 08, 2017 3:39 pm

jtoh wrote:PW = Project Work


thank you.

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 9:29 am
Total Likes: 0


Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby janet88 » Mon May 08, 2017 10:20 pm

hi slmkhoo,
how is your daughter doing in RP?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 38947
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:37 am
Total Likes: 124


PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge