After O levels: JC or Poly?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby slmkhoo » Tue May 09, 2017 7:22 am

janet88 wrote:hi slmkhoo,
how is your daughter doing in RP?

Fine. It's been basic stuff and she's managing, but it's a different set of people every class so not easy to make friends (she already finds it hard even in a stable classroom). But this week is her last week as she is withdrawing! She got into NTU Linguistics and we've decided that it is a better choice for her than Mass Comm. She's OK with it but is regretful that she has to start again at a new place. I am a bit afraid that she is going to find it tough, but it is a more suitable course for her. We decided she should withdraw now so we can help settle the withdrawal procedures and her computer before we go away in a couple of weeks. I will have to find something for her to do in Jun-Jul.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sun May 14, 2017 11:07 am

slmkhoo wrote:She got into NTU Linguistics and we've decided that it is a better choice for her than Mass Comm. She's OK with it but is regretful that she has to start again at a new place. I am a bit afraid that she is going to find it tough, but it is a more suitable course for her. We decided she should withdraw now so we can help settle the withdrawal procedures and her computer before we go away in a couple of weeks. I will have to find something for her to do in Jun-Jul.

wow! that's wonderful. To be accepted into NTU means she would get a degree after 3 years.
congrats.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Sun May 14, 2017 1:18 pm

janet88 wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:She got into NTU Linguistics and we've decided that it is a better choice for her than Mass Comm. She's OK with it but is regretful that she has to start again at a new place. I am a bit afraid that she is going to find it tough, but it is a more suitable course for her. We decided she should withdraw now so we can help settle the withdrawal procedures and her computer before we go away in a couple of weeks. I will have to find something for her to do in Jun-Jul.

wow! that's wonderful. To be accepted into NTU means she would get a degree after 3 years.
congrats.

Actually, this is a 4-yr course. And we are encouraging her to take it a bit slower so it may take 5yrs!

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:11 am

Is NTU Linguistics part of NTU HSS faculty? Reviews about the faculty are not that great....compared to NUS FASS...

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:39 am

Imp75 wrote:Is NTU Linguistics part of NTU HSS faculty? Reviews about the faculty are not that great....compared to NUS FASS...

i think it is really a big achievement...furthermore it is NTU which is equally good.

slmkhoo,
if it has to be 5 years, then be it.
there's no point rushing through and not doing well...it is a big jump from poly course to a degree course.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lego » Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 am

slmkhoo wrote:Actually, this is a 4-yr course. And we are encouraging her to take it a bit slower so it may take 5yrs!

Sorry, not familiar with this. :oops: My time was before the modular system.
U mean the students can now decide how long they take to complete a course?

lego
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 15, 2017 1:22 pm

Imp75 wrote:Is NTU Linguistics part of NTU HSS faculty? Reviews about the faculty are not that great....compared to NUS FASS...

Well, for students who have a choice, they can evaluate and compare. But students who only get 1 offer should just be grateful (as we are)! It's not like she's a strong student, so it may be better to be in a less competitive environment.

Yes, Linguistics is part of HSS. We don't expect her to get excellent grades or a "good" job. If she can get a degree (of any class), we'll be happy. We never expected her to get into a university at this stage and were thinking of it as a remote possibility after a diploma and working experience, so it's better than we expected.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 15, 2017 1:28 pm

lego wrote:
slmkhoo wrote:Actually, this is a 4-yr course. And we are encouraging her to take it a bit slower so it may take 5yrs!

Sorry, not familiar with this. :oops: My time was before the modular system.
U mean the students can now decide how long they take to complete a course?

We didn't know either, but apparently the modular system means that students can take up to 2 extra years to complete their degree. They have to pay extra fees, though. I have heard of some who take time out to do longer internships, and some who start a business or do charitable work and so take it slower. A friend of ours told us this when we said we didn't think our daughter could cope with university. We hope it will be more doable if she takes it slower.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby schweppes » Mon May 15, 2017 1:49 pm

Some students take longer to complete their degrees (usually up to 5 years) because they want to: pursue a double degree, go for overseas exchange, take one or two semester(s) off to go for internships, launch their own startup business and other varying reasons.

Most times, students take on average 6 modules a semester. I guess, if one wants a more manageable study schedule, then maybe go for 4 modules? Can seek course counselling from the school to understand better.

Happy for you and your girl, slmkhoo. She'll be fine.

schweppes
Councillor
Councillor

Postby slmkhoo » Mon May 15, 2017 3:37 pm

schweppes wrote:Some students take longer to complete their degrees (usually up to 5 years) because they want to: pursue a double degree, go for overseas exchange, take one or two semester(s) off to go for internships, launch their own startup business and other varying reasons.

Most times, students take on average 6 modules a semester. I guess, if one wants a more manageable study schedule, then maybe go for 4 modules? Can seek course counselling from the school to understand better.

Happy for you and your girl, slmkhoo. She'll be fine.

Thanks! Yes, I plan to find someone to talk to for advice closer to the beginning of the academic year. It's too early to hunt them out now. Maybe in July,

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support