LEARNConcierge

After O levels: JC or Poly?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby lee_yl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:07 pm

I think Janet is hoping that her son can get into the civil service so that there is no need to worry about retrenchment.

Good, I think when it comes to our children's time, it will be even more competitive because of the likely continued influx of FTs and AI (artificial intelligence) taking over some white-collar jobs!

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:15 pm

lee_yl wrote:I think Janet is hoping that her son can get into the civil service so that there is no need to worry about retrenchment.

Good, I think when it comes to our children's time, it will be even more competitive because of the likely continued influx of FTs and AI (artificial intelligence) taking over some white-collar jobs!

Increasingly, even the civil service's rice bowl is not as unbreakable as before. For most young people, the main thing is to have them develop flexible attitudes and minds. If they do mostly repetitive and routine tasks, their risk of being replaced by automation is higher. My concern is my daughter who has learning disabilities - it is unlikely that she will be able to cope with more than repetitive and routine tasks.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:30 pm

You are right on the need for our children to be versatile when it comes to jobs in the future. That said, it can be expected that many professions will continue to be in demand such as defence, policing and medical care...

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:49 pm

lee_yl wrote:You are right on the need for our children to be versatile when it comes to jobs in the future. That said, it can be expected that many professions will continue to be in demand such as defence, policing and medical care...

The main thing is to make sure they are employable in areas that require human interaction and flexible thinking.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby lee_yl » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:14 pm

FYI, For MINDEF, there is the Military Expert (ME) scheme whose current retirement age is 62. Likewise for the HT uniformed groups, while the retirement age is 50, officers are generally offered re-employment (with no loss in pay and benefits) till 62. Out of security considerations and the need to retain expertise over the long term, MINDEF and MHA are likely to remain the last bastions to offer long-term employment for Singaporeans.

On the other hand, many young officers would like to leave after 5years because they can no longer tahan the onerous rules and regulations and they worry that they may not have the relevant skill sets to go back to the private sector if they stay too long.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:54 pm

lee_yl wrote:On the other hand, many young officers would like to leave after 5years because they can no longer tahan the onerous rules and regulations and they worry that they may not have the relevant skill sets to go back to the private sector if they stay too long.

this is one of my concerns too.
a friend's hubby left after 10 years in Mindef because he felt the job was stagnant. he left for the private sector.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jetsetter » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:27 pm

jetsetter
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:55 pm

jetsetter wrote:Image

this year, there is an increased number of students going to poly....i believe it is due to dragon year batch.
my concern - increased number of dragon year kids entering poly, will there be increased number of vacancies in local U too?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby floppy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 pm

janet88 wrote:
jetsetter wrote:Image

this year, there is an increased number of students going to poly....i believe it is due to dragon year batch.
my concern - increased number of dragon year kids entering poly, will there be increased number of vacancies in local U too?

Local U don't adjust vacancies due to dragon year as guys / gals intake are different.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:44 am

floppy wrote:Local U don't adjust vacancies due to dragon year as guys / gals intake are different.

because of NS?

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge