Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

After O levels: JC or Poly?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Re: After O levels: JC or Poly?

Postby janet88 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:54 am

what is most important is the child must like the course and excel in it. face can't buy a future if the child is not the academic kind. a relative's son die die wants to enter JC because it is more prestigious to be doing A levels. hubby has a friend whose daughter was from top girls' school...after her o levels, she can't bear facing another 2 years of academic studies despite the stellar results. now she is very happy in the poly.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby phtthp » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 pm

Some students, after O level exam, know that they are not suitable to take A level, will prefer to head for Polytechnic study. When they reach that stage, after O level, they will know which route is more suitable, for themselves. By then, they know what are their own strength(s), or weakness, and in which academic subject(s)

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Childrenisablessing » Thu May 04, 2017 9:51 am

how should we as parent advise our kids to chose JC or Poly? My girl wants to head for JC track as she is not sure what she wants at the moment but she is not strong in her languages.

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby floppy » Thu May 04, 2017 10:35 am

Childrenisablessing wrote:how should we as parent advise our kids to chose JC or Poly? My girl wants to head for JC track as she is not sure what she wants at the moment but she is not strong in her languages.

Strengths / weaknesses
Course of study / interests
Current subjects combination
Put them all together you should have an idea which is more suitable

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Childrenisablessing » Thu May 04, 2017 12:36 pm

floppy wrote:
Childrenisablessing wrote:how should we as parent advise our kids to chose JC or Poly? My girl wants to head for JC track as she is not sure what she wants at the moment but she is not strong in her languages.

Strengths / weaknesses
->weaknesses - languages , strength, maths and sciences
Course of study / interests
->interest - pets
Current subjects combination
-> Pure Science, A and E Maths, Combined SS & Geo
Put them all together you should have an idea which is more suitable

She wants to go JC but i worried after reading the post here that if she is weak in languages, she shouldnt be going JC track. Should I persuade her to go Poly instead?

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu May 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Childrenisablessing wrote:She wants to go JC but i worried after reading the post here that if she is weak in languages, she shouldnt be going JC track. Should I persuade her to go Poly instead?

How weak are her languages? And really, only English matters as long as she can pass MT. For GP, content and logical thought matter as much as language, so if she can write grammatically and clearly, she should be OK. Creative writing is not needed at JC! She should probably avoid the Arts subjects which require more essay-writing.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jtoh » Thu May 04, 2017 4:46 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Childrenisablessing wrote:She wants to go JC but i worried after reading the post here that if she is weak in languages, she shouldnt be going JC track. Should I persuade her to go Poly instead?

How weak are her languages? And really, only English matters as long as she can pass MT. For GP, content and logical thought matter as much as language, so if she can write grammatically and clearly, she should be OK. Creative writing is not needed at JC! She should probably avoid the Arts subjects which require more essay-writing.

I agree with slmkhoo. You just need to pass MT at D7 to go to local uni. GP is as much content and logical thought as language. If she prefers an academic path and is interested in the sciences and maths, JC should be ok. Just don't go for subjects like Lit, ELL, history...

jtoh
Councillor
Councillor

Postby janet88 » Thu May 04, 2017 7:09 pm

My kids cannot go to JC...languages will kill them. Besides, these 2 are the hands on type. My son is enjoying his EEE course. That's most important. As long as he is enjoying the course, he will want to do well.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Childrenisablessing » Fri May 05, 2017 1:01 pm

the arts lair wrote:It depends truly on her. Languages, while important, can always be honed in JC as well. If she takes content-heavy subjects, such as geography and economics, she might have to brush up on her language abit :)
Generally speaking, if she wants to go to JC, encourage her to do so. Encouraging her to go to poly might backfire, as she might not know exactly the field which she wants to go into. Please feel free to comment here if you want me to discuss this more in depth with you :)

Warmest Regards,
Tejash Singh (http://www.theartslair.com)
The Arts Lair is a premier tuition programme for Secondary English/English Literature. Currently, we have affordable tuition classes at Pasir Ris and Kovan. Please do contact me at 91869614 if you wish to enroll your child to score :)

she doesnt like chinese since primary school days.. so her chinese is usually a C5 or C6. Her English is usually B4 but she got As for other subjects. She only takes Combined Geo and Social Studies in school.

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Childrenisablessing » Fri May 05, 2017 1:03 pm

slmkhoo wrote:

she doesnt like chinese since primary school days.. so her chinese is usually a C5 or C6. Her English is usually B4 but she got As for other subjects. She only takes Combined Geo and Social Studies in school.
what kind of subjects are available in JC? She shd be able to pass her English.

Childrenisablessing
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres