Secondary School Chinese

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Do you read newspapers & watch news in chinese?

Of course! Must set a good example to the kids.
65%
No way José! They're way too cheem for me.
35%

Total votes: 147

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:21

Re: Secondary School Chinese

Post by ilovelaksa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:47 pm

phtthp wrote:
ilovelaksa wrote: Hi, my child’s friend:

PSLE Chinese A
HMT dropped to MT in secondary school, failed MT

Passed CLB in JC
2H2 A 2H2 B (He has an A in KI)

He is offered NUS+SMU Law and Oxbridge Law
HTH
Hi ilovelaksa,

did your friend's son do IB or A-level ?

If A-level, may we know what is his subject combination ? Did he do H2 (English Literature or History or Geography), besides good in KI, to qualify for law degree ?
Hallo : )
He did Econs, History, Physics, KI. i only kn his KI is an A.
HTH

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:21

Post by ilovelaksa » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:56 pm

.zeit wrote: For kids who are superb in English, a CLB pass will do. The boy's KI (an 'amphibious' contrasting subject) Grade A = A for GP and A for the other H1 requirement (no need to use HCL at all) to qualify for uni course.

Don't be too fixated on English Lit, History, Geog as prerequisites for law. I keep seeing these few humans subjects popping up. Law takes in anyone who meets the IGP. There's no need to take H2 Lit, H2 History, H2 Geog or H2 ELL to get into Law school. But having said that, it's undoubtedly useful to have taken these in Year 3-4 in your IP school or Sec 3-4 in an O level school. In case you didn't, be informed there are many science or commerce students who are extremely strong in English / GP gettting into law school as well. Ironically, quite a lot of JC Arts student cannot make it to law schools because it's harder to score As for H2 humans subjects and to meet law's demanding IGP (AAA/A - 90th percentile) and interview.
Actually I don’t think you need to be exceptional in EL Just need to be able to think logically and be well-read. My son was one of those Sciency types offered law.
I was quite surprised. He has failed Literature in secondary school before cuz he cannot understand poetry and Shakespeare.
Never give up and follow yr dreams.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by .zeit » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:11 pm

ilovelaksa wrote:
.zeit wrote: For kids who are superb in English, a CLB pass will do. The boy's KI (an 'amphibious' contrasting subject) Grade A = A for GP and A for the other H1 requirement (no need to use HCL at all) to qualify for uni course.

Don't be too fixated on English Lit, History, Geog as prerequisites for law. I keep seeing these few humans subjects popping up. Law takes in anyone who meets the IGP. There's no need to take H2 Lit, H2 History, H2 Geog or H2 ELL to get into Law school. But having said that, it's undoubtedly useful to have taken these in Year 3-4 in your IP school or Sec 3-4 in an O level school. In case you didn't, be informed there are many science or commerce students who are extremely strong in English / GP gettting into law school as well. Ironically, quite a lot of JC Arts student cannot make it to law schools because it's harder to score As for H2 humans subjects and to meet law's demanding IGP (AAA/A - 90th percentile) and interview.
Actually I don’t think you need to be exceptional in EL Just need to be able to think logically and be well-read. My son was one of those Sciency types offered law.
I was quite surprised. He has failed Literature in secondary school before cuz he cannot understand poetry and Shakespeare.
Never give up and follow yr dreams.
Yep, that's why I wrote: "many science...students who are extremely strong in ... / GP". Your son falls under this category. Surely he'd aced his GP, otherwise how could he have achieved the high UAS required of law applicants?

Cheekie
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Cheekie » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:57 pm

Hi mummies

For those taking HMT in sec 1, do they still need to take normal Chinese test/exam like in primary school? Also, which is the recommended tuition centre for Secondary HMT? Thank you!

Bunny27
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Bunny27 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:53 am

Hi,
I'm looking for a good Chinese tutor to teach HCL for Sec 1. Anyone has contacts to share ? Thanks

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:47

Post by chenlaoshi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:07 pm

A good read for those preparing for O Levels - similarly useful for oral too, since it's like the verbal version of Paper 2 email writing and argumentative/discursive essay writing.

ImageImage

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by chenlaoshi » Fri May 03, 2019 10:52 am

Some mid year oral exam topics tested this year:
- Cashless payment
- Online shopping
- Friendship & peer influence
- Environmental friendly & waste classification

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by chenlaoshi » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Useful for students who do not have the time/habit of reading Chinese newspapers. Aids in tackling oral, email writing, as well as newspaper report discussion (under compo writing)

steffi88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by steffi88 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:10 am

Is there any good guide books / websites for practising HCL oral?

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by chenlaoshi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:38 am

steffi88 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:10 am
Is there any good guide books / websites for practising HCL oral?
Hi steffi88,

If your child's school didn't get the students to buy the 3 books from this series, you can consider getting them. Earlier volumes can be brought via Carousell.

Every issue of 《早报逗号》 also includes oral discussion topics (with news article + follow up questions)

Meanwhile, the 3 books from the above posts are useful for oral practices too - to expose the child to the latest and common topics/themes regarding society/values.

【Chen Lao Shi's Official Thread】 --> Click here