Secondary School Chinese

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Do you read newspapers & watch news in chinese?

Of course! Must set a good example to the kids.
65%
No way José! They're way too cheem for me.
35%

Total votes: 147

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:41

Re: Secondary School Chinese

Post by chenlaoshi » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:59 pm

MerlionInGermany wrote:Thank you.

Any idea what is the exam format? In pri sch, the hcl and cl exam format is very different.
Hi MerlionInGermany,

Hope this helps (you can access the table in pdf format via this blog post):

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:58

Post by Estéema » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:29 pm

@ chenlaoshi :thankyou: for the detail comparison of CL & HCL.

You hv all the necessary details & the go-to guy!
:udaman:

MerlionInGermany
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:12

Post by MerlionInGermany » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:18 am

Thank you. Very clear.

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by chenlaoshi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:47 pm

:)

To help prepare them for Sec sch CL, esp. components such as oral and paper 1's email and argumentative writing:

- 在日常生活中,鼓励孩子对热门话题发表看法 Encourage kids to talk about their views/thoughts relating to popular/hot topics during daily life conversations

- 观看华语时事节目 Watch informative TV programmes
 8频道10点新闻(有华文字幕)
《焦点》(8频道星期四晚上10.30)Vodcast: https://www.8world.com/vodcasts/program/focus/full
《前线追踪》(8频道星期五晚上8.30)Vodcast: https://www.8world.com/vodcasts/program/frontline/full
《绳之以法》(8频道)
《星期二特写》(8频道星期二晚上 8.30)Vodcast: https://www.8world.com/vodcasts/program ... eport/full
《狮城有约》(8频道星期一至五晚上6.30)

encounter85
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by encounter85 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:46 pm

Does anyone have recommendation for chinese tutor who can come to my place? My sec 4 and 1 kids need help. I stay in seng kang area

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Post by Funz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 am

Not sure where to post this.

DD came home yesterday and told us that her Chinese teacher advised the class that if they are not aiming for A1/2 and basically not looking to use Chinese as one of the L1R5s or L1R4s, it might be better to just switch and take the Chinese Language Basic (CLB) exam instead of O level Chinese. That way they can put Chinese on a back burner and focus on the other subjects.

DD of course latched onto that idea. DD is clear what course she wants to pursue and is quite adamant about going the Poly route so she is keen switch to CLB. DD's not strong in Chinese but she is not exactly failing. Most likely a B4 if she bothers to try if not C6 should be no issue. I am not sure if there are any implications though if she switch to CLB.

Appreciate insights.

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by chenlaoshi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:28 pm

Funz wrote:Not sure where to post this.

DD came home yesterday and told us that her Chinese teacher advised the class that if they are not aiming for A1/2 and basically not looking to use Chinese as one of the L1R5s or L1R4s, it might be better to just switch and take the Chinese Language Basic (CLB) exam instead of O level Chinese. That way they can put Chinese on a back burner and focus on the other subjects.

DD of course latched onto that idea. DD is clear what course she wants to pursue and is quite adamant about going the Poly route so she is keen switch to CLB. DD's not strong in Chinese but she is not exactly failing. Most likely a B4 if she bothers to try if not C6 should be no issue. I am not sure if there are any implications though if she switch to CLB.

Appreciate insights.
Perhaps the teacher was being result oriented :lol: (and wanted to have a class of 'hungry' and motivated students so that it will be easier to push them towards their limit and help them excel) but I think it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that those not targeting A1/2 should switch to CL B.

The intention of CL B was mainly to help students who are facing exceptional difficulties in coping with CL (seriously failing, E8, F9 kind) - it's purpose is similar to Foundation CL in Primary school.

Even if a student isn't faring that well (i.e. not A or B grade range) in CL, I personally do not see the need to jump to the 'easiest' option just to avoid pressure and/or work + time spent on subject. I believe it is still possible for a student of your DD's 'profile' to do what is required of her, without jeopardizing other subjects.

Other than usual homework/assignment, does CL subject take up that much time (for someone who is just doing his/her best to enjoy the learning process + improve his/her command of the language - as opposed to one who is aiming to excel and score fantastic grade)? Moreover, CL is a language, not just a knowledge based subject, it's a skill that's beneficial throughout one's life. Of course, for cases such as student faring poorly for multiple subjects, then the effect of opting for CL B instead would be greater. However, for normal cases, I think for someone in B-C range, then I would cast my vote to remaining in CL. :)

There's no direct implication/disadvantage for taking CL B but a 'respectable' B4 vs a pass in CL B can definitely do no harm.

Just a random e.g./consideration:

qms
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor
Total Likes:15

Post by qms » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:05 pm

Funz, I understand from my friend that students taking CL B will only be able to go to poly, not JC.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:334

Post by Funz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:01 pm

Thanks Chenlaoshi.

It is my 1st inclination as well that DD should still proceed with O level Chinese. I am giving it a 2nd thought mainly due to her attitude towards the subject. She is very capable of tanking it out of spite given that she really really hates it. :roll: I keep telling her just 5mths and the exam is in June. Clear that and you can chuck it aside.

@qms. Not sure but that is my understanding as well. DD has been rather clear what she wants to pursue since pr sch days. She is very sure she will not be going the JC route which is why she keeps trying to convince me to let her drop to CLB.

To be honest, I am not even sure if the school allows any student to just drop to CLB if they are not failing the subject badly. Maybe the teacher was addressing all those who are struggling and she jumped on that opportunity. Will call her FT to check.

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:58

Post by Estéema » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:23 pm

Funz wrote:Thanks Chenlaoshi.

It is my 1st inclination as well that DD should still proceed with O level Chinese. I am giving it a 2nd thought mainly due to her attitude towards the subject. She is very capable of tanking it out of spite given that she really really hates it. :roll: I keep telling her just 5mths and the exam is in June. Clear that and you can chuck it aside.

@qms. Not sure but that is my understanding as well. DD has been rather clear what she wants to pursue since pr sch days. She is very sure she will not be going the JC route which is why she keeps trying to convince me to let her drop to CLB.

To be honest, I am not even sure if the school allows any student to just drop to CLB if they are not failing the subject badly. Maybe the teacher was addressing all those who are struggling and she jumped on that opportunity. Will call her FT to check.
Funz,

See if u can find a motivating factor or incentive to get her to pull thro till June. It’s tough with teens I ustand coz they want their way even if they can’t see how it’ll limit their future or impact themselves. When my kids were young, they’ll pull all the plugs & find ways to tank it. So, I’ve learnt over the years to find sound reasonings as well as providing a sweet incentive (not indulging my kids type) & they always most often go thro w/o much thots thereafter & performed better then they’ve been claiming. So, I’m thankful they didn’t succumb to their moments of “lacking in wisdom”.

Hope things work out well for your DD. :pray: