Secondary School Chinese

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Do you read newspapers & watch news in chinese?

Of course! Must set a good example to the kids.
65%
No way José! They're way too cheem for me.
35%

Total votes: 147

muska
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Secondary School Chinese

Post by muska » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm

With o level clb can also continue A level clb. A niece of mine did it, & requirement must pass A level clb to hv the cert. But she mentioned it was easy, its only p5 std for A level clb.
She's already in Ntu this yr.

12mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:4

Post by 12mum » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:06 pm

My child took clb in sec school and went on to JC. Graduated 2 years ago.

Unless MOE introduce new changes to the JC admission, then I believe one can still be admitted to JC even if he is taking clb (but must pass the subject cos most JCs require a merit or pass in clb according to their website).

muska
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by muska » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:10 pm

But to be able to take secondary clb, requirement is strict. They look at psle chinese result. But i could not recall whats the grade, if got A certainly cannot drop to clb

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:40

Post by chenlaoshi » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:58 pm

Funz wrote:Thanks Chenlaoshi.

It is my 1st inclination as well that DD should still proceed with O level Chinese. I am giving it a 2nd thought mainly due to her attitude towards the subject. She is very capable of tanking it out of spite given that she really really hates it. :roll: I keep telling her just 5mths and the exam is in June. Clear that and you can chuck it aside.

@qms. Not sure but that is my understanding as well. DD has been rather clear what she wants to pursue since pr sch days. She is very sure she will not be going the JC route which is why she keeps trying to convince me to let her drop to CLB.

To be honest, I am not even sure if the school allows any student to just drop to CLB if they are not failing the subject badly. Maybe the teacher was addressing all those who are struggling and she jumped on that opportunity. Will call her FT to check.
My pleasure, Funz. Yes, motivation is important factor - otherwise, we'll be fighting a losing battle.

Just in case your DD decides to opt for the JC route in the future, just a pass for CL B will be sufficient for her to be eligible for admission into JC: https://www.moe.gov.sg/docs/default-sou ... _sect6.pdf

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:8

Post by .zeit » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:18 am

muska wrote:With o level clb can also continue A level clb. A niece of mine did it, & requirement must pass A level clb to hv the cert. But she mentioned it was easy, its only p5 std for A level clb.
She's already in Ntu this yr.
Do you know your niece's UAS? What's the uni admission ranking point for an A for CLB? Can't be H1 ranking point, right?

muska
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by muska » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:42 pm

.zeit wrote: Do you know your niece's UAS? What's the uni admission ranking point for an A for CLB? Can't be H1 ranking point, right?
No...don't know uas. She's art student in uni

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:00 pm

Come think of it, MTL (be it HCL/CL/CLB) is not tt scary a deterrent to gain admission into our AU as I'd mistakenly thought. Appreciate 12mum's and your sharing.
Last edited by .zeit on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilovelaksa
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:19

Post by ilovelaksa » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:29 pm

muska wrote:But to be able to take secondary clb, requirement is strict. They look at psle chinese result. But i could not recall whats the grade, if got A certainly cannot drop to clb
Hi, my child’s friend:
PSLE Chinese A
HMT dropped to MT in secondary school, failed MT
Passed CLB in JC
2H2 A 2H2 B (He has an A in KI)
He is offered NUS+SMU Law and Oxbridge Law
HTH

phtthp
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:211

Post by phtthp » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:01 pm

ilovelaksa wrote: Hi, my child’s friend:

PSLE Chinese A

Passed CLB in JC

HTH
Hi ilovelaksa,

did your friend's son do IB or A-level ?

If A-level, may we know what is his subject combination ? Did he do H2 (English Literature or History or Geography), besides good in KI, to qualify for law degree ?

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am

phtthp wrote:
ilovelaksa wrote: Hi, my child’s friend:

PSLE Chinese A

Passed CLB in JC

HTH
Hi ilovelaksa,

did your friend's son do IB or A-level ?

If A-level, may we know what is his subject combination ? Did he do H2 (English Literature or History or Geography), besides good in KI, to qualify for law degree ?
She has already stated unambiguously the boy did A-level. How can it be IB if there's 'H2' and KI? IB scores are from 1-7.

For kids who are superb in English, a CLB pass will do. The boy's KI (an 'amphibious' contrasting subject) Grade A = A for GP and A for the other H1 requirement (no need to use HCL at all) to qualify for uni course.

Don't be too fixated on English Lit, History, Geog as prerequisites for law. I keep seeing these few humans subjects popping up. Law takes in anyone who meets the IGP. There's no need to take H2 Lit, H2 History, H2 Geog or H2 ELL to get into Law school. But having said that, it's undoubtedly useful to have taken these in Year 3-4 in your IP school or Sec 3-4 in an O level school. In case you didn't, be informed there are many science or commerce students who are extremely strong in English / GP gettting into law school as well. Ironically, quite a lot of JC Arts student cannot make it to law schools because it's harder to score As for H2 humans subjects and to meet law's demanding IGP (AAA/A - 90th percentile) and interview.