Secondary School Chinese

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Do you read newspapers & watch news in chinese?

Of course! Must set a good example to the kids.
65%
No way José! They're way too cheem for me.
35%

Total votes: 147

steffi88
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Secondary School Chinese

Post by steffi88 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:41 am

Is this series suitable for hcl oral as well? Thought it is only for cl.

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:41

Post by chenlaoshi » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:50 am

steffi88 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:41 am
The main difference between between CL and HCL oral is the 口头报告 component (20 marks) - where the student has to listen to the narration, take down notes and then make a verbal summary to the examiner. To practice on that, can just get the assessment books for HCL oral under the CL guidebook section in Popular bookstores to get your hands on the videos. :)

The suggestions in my earlier posts help for the other 20 marks, i.e. 会话 (and of cos, email writing and compo writing - discursive, argumentative types).

【Chen Lao Shi's Official Thread】 --> Click here

hercules
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:50

Post by hercules » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:17 pm

Around beginning of the year, I advised my nephew to drop Chinese if he really thought he wanted to do so to focus in getting his straight As in other subjects (he has zero interest in Chinese. The idea of 'drop' means no need to get an A but a passing grade will do).

Before his O Level Chinese exam, he spent about 2 weeks on the materials. Ytd he got his results at a B3.

He was happy with the result (will not retake this year end).

In my mind is the paper marking standard must be so low that someone like him can get a B3 (what I know is anything below the A grade is not so difficult to get).

So parents with kids struggling with Chinese, it is actually not so difficult to get a pass or even a decent grade at O level as I believe the results is 'severely curved down' (my nephew has no tuition on Chinese and spent the least / minimal time in this subject).

*now I have better hope for my 'Chinese-impaired' grand niece.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:30

Post by jedamum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 am

chenlaoshi wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:50 am
steffi88 wrote:
The main difference between between CL and HCL oral is the 口头报告 component (20 marks) - where the student has to listen to the narration, take down notes and then make a verbal summary to the examiner. To practice on that, can just get the assessment books for HCL oral under the CL guidebook section in Popular bookstores to get your hands on the videos. :)

The suggestions in my earlier posts help for the other 20 marks, i.e. 会话 (and of cos, email writing and compo writing - discursive, argumentative types).

Chen laoshi,
When my son does 口头报告 component note taking, he wrote everything in hypy. He told me it is OK so long he can deliver it in verbal form. Is it really OK or should I ask him to write in Chinese characters? He said is time consuming. Thanks.

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by chenlaoshi » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am

jedamum wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 am
chenlaoshi wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:50 am
steffi88 wrote:

Chen laoshi,
When my son does 口头报告 component note taking, he wrote everything in hypy. He told me it is OK so long he can deliver it in verbal form. Is it really OK or should I ask him to write in Chinese characters? He said is time consuming. Thanks.
Hi jedamum,

Yes, it's ok - the notes are for self reference. Most importantly, the child needs to know what he's writing so note taking skill is important (mainly in bullet form under each subtopic or simple mind map). They need to listen to the narration (which lasts for almost the entire video) and pick out the main points/information. I know of some kids who mix in some English in their notes too.

Only potential downside is while looking at English/HYPY they will take some time 'translating' them back to Chinese - must avoid getting stuck/confused there.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Post by jedamum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:57 am

Thanks, Chen laoshi. :)

MathematicsMagic
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by MathematicsMagic » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:08 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I have a question that is always bugging me.

I know there are lots of Chinese assessment books in the market, but how about exam papers from other schools?

I know there are some secondary 4 Chinese exam papers(Be it for CL or HCL), then how about Secondary 1 - 3?

I am really curious about it. I mean, for other subjects(Maths and Science. English not much, but at least there are still some) in the non-graduating level(secondary 1~3), there are lots of past years papers from other schools for practice purpose. But for Chinese? it is basically none. Not to say the free resource from the internet: it is not even available from all those exam paper sellers.

So, is there any way to get the school papers for Chinese for S1~S3? I don't mind buying also.

jj_1808
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by jj_1808 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 pm

Please let me know whether the students who study HCL in Sec one is writing argumentative or discursive essay .

chenlaoshi
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by chenlaoshi » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 pm

jj_1808 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:02 pm
Please let me know whether the students who study HCL in Sec one is writing argumentative or discursive essay .
Not yet (usually 2nd sem of Sec 2). For essay writing component (60 marks) Paper 1, they will still be doing narrative writing. Example:

However, they need to start developing skills for argumentative/discursive writing, beginning with the email writing (20 marks) component of Paper 1.

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Post by jedamum » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:38 am

陈老师,
如果作文写离题或没点题,是不是就不及格?如果故事情节和词汇程度中等,离题/没点题会是扣多少分呢?谢谢。