Competitive CCA

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Competitive CCA

Postby nani » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:28 am

How important do you view CCA? Isnt worth to strive for that 2points to get into gd JC/poly?

Notice that competitive CCA usually has 3 or more times of training a week:

1) Has it affect your child academically? Not enough time for homework, projects, rest, play??

2) Are you willingly letting your child revolve his/her life around the school? To the extend of going back to school during the school holidays for training or even cancelling your pre-book family holidays inorder for your child not to miss the training?

3) Do you feels that the school is taking too much time away from your family time?

4) Would you support/encourage your child to go for competition/performance overseas? (If you are not allowed or unable to go?)

[/b]

nani
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi nani, to share with you my case

How important do you view CCA? Isnt worth to strive for that 2points to get into gd JC/poly? - As my child is in IP, there is no need to get the CCA points. Initially, I felt CCA was not important and I did not understand why must MOE must put so much hours (min 6 hours a week) for the kids to take part in CCA. After 1 year of sec school for dd, my mindset is changed. Now, I feel CCA is important, to help develope the kids' skill on handling human to human relationship, how to work as a team, mix around with more school mates other than your own classmates, the different challenges they face in compeition, endurance, patience etc ....

1) Has it affect your child academically? Not enough time for homework, projects, rest, play?? - So far, it has not affected my child academically. As for rest, during compeition time, yes, it affected in some ways. Less sleep but its not long term, only during compeition week and surprisely she ccould take it well.

2) Are you willingly letting your child revolve his/her life around the school? To the extend of going back to school during the school holidays for training or even cancelling your pre-book family holidays inorder for your child not to miss the training? - Yes, this is what we have gone through and initially I could not accept it. Every day she is going back to school during school holidays. There was a night, when she was in school till midnight, I went to the school to secretely watch her from the window, I was very touched by her passion. I follow her CCA routines and events very closely and the type of committment these kids put in, I could never imagine in the past. But I always remind dd, must balance things up. Because dd has seen cases where her friends put too much commitement in CCA and did badly in academic, hence she would worry too.

3) Do you feels that the school is taking too much time away from your family time? - Yes, I have this feeling but thinking on the bright side, we should be happy our children are spending quality time in school activities than roaming around somewhere. Hence, I make it a point that weekends are family time.

4) Would you support/encourage your child to go for competition/performance overseas? (If you are not allowed or unable to go?) - dd missed her boat by a margin last year for this opportunity and we agreed to let her go, even we were not allowed to follow (its not a risky third world country). My only concern about overseas competition is if it is held on normal school days and these kids might miss out classes and not able to catch up.

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:52 pm

Hi daisyt,

Is there a minimum 6 hours weekly for CCA in Secondary school stipulated by MOE? Or are the long hours due to enthusiasm of each individual school. Was wondering because CCA hours in secondary school are very long.

Thanks.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daisyt » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi turquoise, I don't see any black or white anywhere by MOE but in dd's school, is min 6 hrs for all CCAs but I heard there is a change now. Not sure yet about the new change for new batch of students, but seems like more hours.

Maybe I should rephrase my sentence, I did not understand why must the school put so much hours (min 6 hours a week)

Thanks for pointing out :D

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm

daisyt wrote:Hi turquoise, I don't see any black or white anywhere by MOE but in dd's school, is min 6 hrs for all CCAs but I heard there is a change now. Not sure yet about the new change for new batch of students, but seems like more hours.

Maybe I should rephrase my sentence, I did not understand why must the school put so much hours (min 6 hours a week)

Thanks daisyt. CCA hours are very long at my dd's school too. Interesting that CCAs are taken so seriously at IP schools too, where CCA points aren't necessary for O levels.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby daisyt » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:06 pm

turquoise wrote:Thanks daisyt. CCA hours are very long at my dd's school too. Interesting that CCAs are taken so seriously at IP schools too, where CCA points aren't necessary for O levels.

Ya hor ... I wonder too ... :?
True, CCA help to develope non academic skills but 6 hours a week ... a bit long right .... :|

daisyt
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby turquoise » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:00 pm

daisyt wrote:
turquoise wrote:Thanks daisyt. CCA hours are very long at my dd's school too. Interesting that CCAs are taken so seriously at IP schools too, where CCA points aren't necessary for O levels.

Ya hor ... I wonder too ... :?
True, CCA help to develope non academic skills but 6 hours a week ... a bit long right .... :|

MINIMUM 6 hours. Some CCAs a lot longer.

turquoise
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:06 pm

turquoise wrote:
daisyt wrote:Hi turquoise, I don't see any black or white anywhere by MOE but in dd's school, is min 6 hrs for all CCAs but I heard there is a change now. Not sure yet about the new change for new batch of students, but seems like more hours.

Thanks daisyt. CCA hours are very long at my dd's school too. Interesting that CCAs are taken so seriously at IP schools too, where CCA points aren't necessary for O levels.

This is because if you apply scholarships for ivy-league schools, what you do outside academic is also important, otherwise one may have to go to ST to lament the lack of a complete portfolio..... :wink:

Postby carebear » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:05 pm

Actually, i feel 2 points discount for the amount of time in CCA is really not worthwhile :P .
Aiya, maybe i should have advised my son to go to a school with an affliated JC.
But come to think of it, why all this rat race about getting into a good JC?
My DS actually joined chess which is 2 hours, school called up and said not sufficient and don't want him to look back and regret that he did not join more CCA to get enough points. So he joined a uniform group as well, cos he cannot bear to give up his beloved chess. Uniform group 4 hours per week. So total 6 hours per week, but the most important thing is that he is enjoying himself! :D

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:26 pm

How important do you view CCA? Isnt worth to strive for that 2points to get into gd JC/poly?

Notice that competitive CCA usually has 3 or more times of training a week:

1) Has it affect your child academically? Not enough time for homework, projects, rest, play??

None of my kids are in competitive sports. Not yet or no opportunity yet.

2) Are you willingly letting your child revolve his/her life around the school? To the extend of going back to school during the school holidays for training or even cancelling your pre-book family holidays inorder for your child not to miss the training?

I have no issues as long as they are happy with what they are doing. It's better than reading or watch too much tv while waiting for mummy or daddy to be free enough from work to spend a meaningful time with them.

Cancelling pre-book holidays because of training? I can visualize my kids retort back, cancel pre-plan holidays because of work. So there should be give and take even in parents children relationship.

3) Do you feels that the school is taking too much time away from your family time?

So far nope because they have not started yet. If they do, no issues unless because of CCA, they have to leave school at 6 am and only reached home at 8 pm, everyday. If it is 2-3 times a week, I will monitor how it will impact their mood and school work.

4) Would you support/encourage your child to go for competition/performance overseas? (If you are not allowed or unable to go?)

If I am not able to go due to work issues, I make sure my spouse will go. If parents are not allowed to go, I have to ensure my children are emotionally stable enough to handle losing a competition.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support