Sec 1.parents - how much homework does your child have?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Sec 1 parents - how much homework does your child have on an average day?

1-2 hours
86%
2-3 hours
No votes
3-4 hours
14%
4+ hours
No votes

Total votes : 7

Re: Sec 1.parents - how much homework does your child have?

Postby ammonite » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:06 am

Yngmng wrote:She told me that she try to do some of the homework during the free periods.

Yes, ds does do some of his homework during free periods in school or during lunch break before cca starts.

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Imp75 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:15 am

very little homework but the assignments are not easy.....each one takes at least an afternoon or entire day to do....

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yngmng » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:49 am

Imp75 wrote:very little homework but the assignments are not easy.....each one takes at least an afternoon or entire day to do....

Assignments, do you mean projects? But, they have days or weeks to complete. It is up to them to manage their time.

Yngmng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Imp75 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:44 am

Yngmng wrote:
Imp75 wrote:very little homework but the assignments are not easy.....each one takes at least an afternoon or entire day to do....

Assignments, do you mean projects? But, they have days or weeks to complete. It is up to them to manage their time.

True but many students like to sit on it until the day before it is due.....
My DD is very eng.....weekdays almost nothing to do and weekends some assignments to rush. I feel at lower sec, should expose them to more non-acad activities and let them do things that they had missed out in pri sch years due to the hectic homework schedules. My DD is spending her time in sports and dance mostly, planning to enroll her in dance comp next year but now prepping for it.

Imp75
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:53 am

I feel relieved to know that other sec 1 kids are just as eng!

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:08 am

ammonite wrote:
Yngmng wrote:She told me that she try to do some of the homework during the free periods.

Yes, ds does do some of his homework during free periods in school or during lunch break before cca starts.

she attempted to do some homework while the teacher was teaching :faint: so that she doesn't have so much work to bring home. early part of the week is rather packed, so i can't get her to revise anything.

i think IP schools may be more relaxed in terms of homework but busy with projects.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Yngmng » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:24 am

She has cca twice a week and tuition once on a weekend. Other days, she is home by 3 pm. Compared to her friends who do third language, she also has Friday afternoon to chill. Maybe due to her gep days where they have a number of projects, she has probably learnt her time management. As for leaving projects to the last minute, she does have classmates who practise this. Sometimes, she is frustrated by teammates who procrastinate. As in our working life, we don't get to choose our team members. I supposed she has to learn to manage.

Yngmng
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:52 pm

janet88 wrote:Art and D&T drawing takes up much time.
History, Math, English normally 1 to 2 hours if there is compo and source based questions (history).
Science worksheets can easily take up 30 min. Homework can be a crazy amount on some days and they are due the next day.

I remember when son was in sec 3 and 4, he slept close to midnight. No time for anything. Just getting homework done.

Art and D&T are non-core subjects. Unless your child intend to continue at a later stage, focus and time spent should commensurate.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Katie73 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:21 pm

My daughter does the same thing, but I have strongly discouraged her from doing so, because it means she misses the current lesson that the teacher is teaching! I believe it has to do with the management of time and effciency of the student. If pushed, they can finish their homework in time for bed and leisure activities.Usually when I sit down my kids and make sure they do their work, they can complete everything quickly.

janet88 wrote:
ammonite wrote:

she attempted to do some homework while the teacher was teaching :faint: so that she doesn't have so much work to bring home. early part of the week is rather packed, so i can't get her to revise anything.

i think IP schools may be more relaxed in terms of homework but busy with projects.

Katie73
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:42 pm

janet88 wrote:she attempted to do some homework while the teacher was teaching :faint: so that she doesn't have so much work to bring home.

You should advise her not to do this. In general, it will take even more time to catch up when she misses what the teachers teach. It's also not very respectful. Doing homework in school should make use of free periods or time in between lessons, not when the teaching is going on.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support