LEARNConcierge

Sec 1.parents - how much homework does your child have?

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.

Sec 1 parents - how much homework does your child have on an average day?

1-2 hours
64%
2-3 hours
21%
3-4 hours
14%
4+ hours
No votes

Total votes : 14

Re: Sec 1.parents - how much homework does your child have?

Postby Foreverfriends » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:07 pm

I rarely see my DS does homework. He is on watsapp, utube, games all the time. Weekend, occasionally meet up with classmates to do project. And, their discussion doesn't last long. I see him very eng.

He doesn't spend much time doing his D&T. Toggle to play games and pretending to do D&T in order to get permission to use PC. :mad:

Foreverfriends
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:55 pm

The question is whether he's doing his work to the expected standard? If he is, then I guess you needn't restrict his access too much unless it's very excessive. And you could interest him in other activities rather than ask him to so more schoolwork.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Sun_2010 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:59 pm

What is D&T ? :oops:

If you have a problem with extensive hours of computer/phone usage, then set out limits. This should be irrespective of how much homework he has. the tendency to get addicted especially for teens , is high and it is best to reign it in early.

If you thing he has enough time , meet the form teacher to check if there are other interest groups / competitions etc in the areas of your son's interests that he can get involved. Maybe he could learn programming?

Sun_2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Foreverfriends » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:20 pm

Sad to say he is doing badly in his studies this year. He is hooked on to his phone and the on line games. Nothing interest him except online games. Can you believe it, after his PSLE, we had a family holiday in Korea, first of all, I had to persuade him to go. When we were there, he kept complaining he rather stay home and play computer.

It is very hard to set limit for him. He said he has nothing to do. Ask him to go swimming, roller blade, exercise, he doesn't want to. Bring him out, he has his phone on hand all the time. I confiscated his phone on Monday. He turned the whole house upside down, threw things in my room, threw his Chinese tuition worksheets (which I requested him to read to me), screamed and threw tantrum. I bit my lips and ignored him. He is still hooked to his phone but he started to read his Chinese tuition worksheets to me since Wednesday onwards, which I am very happy.

My hubby got my DS Iphone as a reward for his PSLE. Then my world turns upside down :slapshead:

D&T=Design and Technology

Foreverfriends
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:32 pm

Foreverfriends wrote:Sad to say he is doing badly in his studies this year. He is hooked on to his phone and the on line games. Nothing interest him except online games. Can you believe it, after his PSLE, we had a family holiday in Korea, first of all, I had to persuade him to go. When we were there, he kept complaining he rather stay home and play computer.

It is very hard to set limit for him. He said he has nothing to do. Ask him to go swimming, roller blade, exercise, he doesn't want to. Bring him out, he has his phone on hand all the time. I confiscated his phone on Monday. He turned the whole house upside down, threw things in my room, threw his Chinese tuition worksheets (which I requested him to read to me), screamed and threw tantrum. I bit my lips and ignored him. He is still hooked to his phone but he started to read his Chinese tuition worksheets to me since Wednesday onwards, which I am very happy.

My hubby got my DS Iphone as a reward for his PSLE. Then my world turns upside down :slapshead:

D&T=Design and Technology

He sounds like he is really addicted. I think you need to impose stricter limits and enforce them. Even if he refuses to do anything else, bore him into finding something else to do. Maybe your husband should step in to undo some of the damage too.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:49 am

slmkhoo wrote:
janet88 wrote:she attempted to do some homework while the teacher was teaching :faint: so that she doesn't have so much work to bring home.

You should advise her not to do this. In general, it will take even more time to catch up when she misses what the teachers teach. It's also not very respectful. Doing homework in school should make use of free periods or time in between lessons, not when the teaching is going on.

i have told her several times NOT to do so because it is rude to begin with, and also she will not listen what is taught by the teacher :mad: this year, i am just as busy with her. but i can't be sitting beside everyday to make sure she does her homework. she is in SEC 1. i can understand she is academic slower and playful, so i am still planning her schedule for year end revision. it's not easy because there are more subjects and even i have a headache doing so.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Foreverfriends » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:05 am

He is indeed addicted. Any suggestion how to impose rules on him. I am really at my wits end. :?: Oh my hubby, he doesn't care. He screams only when he sees my son playing non stop during weekend. My parents and I told my hubby to restrict my DS, my hubby simply ignored us.

Janet, your girl is obedient to follow the year end revision schedule you plan for her.

Foreverfriends
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:21 am

Foreverfriends wrote:He is indeed addicted. Any suggestion how to impose rules on him. I am really at my wits end. :?: Oh my hubby, he doesn't care. He screams only when he sees my son playing non stop during weekend. My parents and I told my hubby to restrict my DS, my hubby simply ignored us.

Ideally, your son should be made to realise that he has a problem - grades falling, throwing tantrums, antisocial behaviour, reduced time for other activities, etc. Only then will he be more willing to work with you - you can show him that the rules are to help him. If he refuses to acknowledge the problem, then it gets much harder. You may have to cancel his data plan, and physically remove his phone at set times. You can get suggestions on other threads where this has been discussed. If your husband won't take action, then make the plan, and just tell him not to interfere. If nothing works, some kind of counselling may be necessary?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby janet88 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 am

4 days MC last week...i dread to think of the homework she will bring home today. but i will write a note to the teachers if she can't complete.

on certain days of the week, she does have quite a lot of homework to complete. otherwise it will be math homework on most days of the week, science and english. geography and history can take up quite a bit of time.

janet88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Coolkidsrock2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:45 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Foreverfriends wrote:He is indeed addicted. Any suggestion how to impose rules on him. I am really at my wits end. :?: Oh my hubby, he doesn't care. He screams only when he sees my son playing non stop during weekend. My parents and I told my hubby to restrict my DS, my hubby simply ignored us.

Ideally, your son should be made to realise that he has a problem - grades falling, throwing tantrums, antisocial behaviour, reduced time for other activities, etc. Only then will he be more willing to work with you - you can show him that the rules are to help him. If he refuses to acknowledge the problem, then it gets much harder. You may have to cancel his data plan, and physically remove his phone at set times. You can get suggestions on other threads where this has been discussed. If your husband won't take action, then make the plan, and just tell him not to interfere. If nothing works, some kind of counselling may be necessary?

I showed DS some of the off-grid locations I will bring him to for his cold turkey.

He also installed an app that tracks his usage and was surprised by how much time he is spending online.

But I make an effort to keep him occupied - 2 CCAs and 2 sports training. He is a day person and is in bed by 9pm so that cuts down the amount of time he has online as well.

Coolkidsrock2
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Secondary Schools - Academic Support

LEARNConcierge