IP English Secondary

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
jollybea
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

IP English Secondary

Post by jollybea » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:30 am

Hi my boy is in his Year 2 this year in a school at Bishan.

May I know :
1. what’s the difference between IP English and O level English? Is there even any difference ?

The problem we’re facing now is that he no longer khow to tackle his Comprehension passage, as the school teachers are only looking for specific answers for each and every questions in the papers.

Their marking style seriously eroded his confidence in the language !

To quote an eg, “ find a phrase to describe ..... “

The answers that the markers are looking for are only, those specific answers given !

The students run the risk of such a thing called “ Excess Denied !” Meaning they write too long an answer and it is not accepted as the answers they’re looking for. Thus, no marks are given !

Teachers do not know how to explain their stand for the “excess denied” exclamation!

As parents, this only mean 2 things.
One, their English teachers are lousy or lazy. They’re only looking for specific answers to mark papers. For their own convenience.

My son is extremely worried about this whole issue!

Now my question to the parents or any kind souls who are active in this forum. Are there such a thing called “Excess Denied”
In the marking of English comprehension papers ?

Or if there is anyone here who has this issue, or even in the same school. Please share how yr son handle this problem.

Thanks

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:9

IP English Secondary

Post by Schootopia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:16 am

Concise answers are expected. The words reflect the clarity of thoughts of a writer. Sometimes, we focus on the thinking process to handle the different types of questions.

A long answer may indicate a lack of confidence, uncertainty ("not sure, trying to catch all, hoping to hit the bulls eye") or a kiasu attitude ("better write a bit more, perhaps to say it in a different way too").

When question asks for a phrase, there should be a <5 word answer that can be found within the passage. When a student writes excessively, it suggests that he did not read the question properly, or did not understand the passage.

Answers are usually not ambiguous for fairness sake.

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:9

IP English Secondary

Post by Schootopia » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:17 am

Concise answers are expected. The words reflect the clarity of thoughts of a writer. Sometimes, we focus on the thinking process to handle the different types of questions.

A long answer may indicate a lack of confidence, uncertainty ("not sure, trying to catch all, hoping to hit the bulls eye") or a kiasu attitude ("better write a bit more, perhaps to say it in a different way too").

When question asks for a phrase, there should be a <5 word answer that can be found within the passage. When a student writes excessively, it suggests that he did not read the question properly, or did not understand the passage.

Answers are usually not ambiguous for fairness sake.

AshleyL
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: IP English Secondary

Post by AshleyL » Sat May 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread. Was looking for discussions on IP Language Art and this seemed the most relevant.

Would anyone have any recommendation for Language Art tutor for Year 2? Would prefer group tuition in the West, if possible. Appreciate any info on LA tutors. Thanks lots!!

bsk
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by bsk » Sat May 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi
I would like to get some.recommendations for my second 02 girl English tuition. Her results are so bad and need some help on this

nicnac
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:3

Post by nicnac » Sat May 19, 2018 1:19 pm

bsk wrote:Hi
I would like to get some.recommendations for my second 02 girl English tuition. Her results are so bad and need some help on this
I need help too :cry: