O-level Panic/Last Min Preparation Thread

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
penmighty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

O-level Panic/Last Min Preparation Thread

Post by penmighty » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:11 pm

How are your kids preparing for this coming O-level? My boy is still amchio amchio very relaxed!!! :stompfeet:

He got B's and C's for Chem and English. Already made him do the past year papers. But afraid won't be enough.

Was thinking to send him to those Seminars and Workshops... Do you have any suggestions?

rosemaryherb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: O-level Panic/Last Min Preparation Thread

Post by rosemaryherb » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:21 am

haha mine was quite relaxed~~~until last week when his daddy gave a pep talk. Maybe you should do that to?

Yes, I feel O-level seminars are good but don't go for the ones where there are like 50 pax or more in the workshop. Those large groups really won't allow the students to ask questions for their final touch-up.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by TheAnswer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:42 am

Supposed to be pretty relaxed for students who are well prepared.

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:12

Post by Schootopia » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:57 am

some teachers hold off-the record "secret" revision lessons, beyond the normal scheduled revision lessons ... for those who desperately need something last minute ... but no formal teaching, just practicing revision papers.

Then there are students in the high A category who simply MC most revision days ...

... if student got a C or a D for prelim, all depends if he/she is happy with getting that for the finals.

penmighty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by penmighty » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:52 am

rosemaryherb wrote:haha mine was quite relaxed~~~until last week when his daddy gave a pep talk. Maybe you should do that to?

Yes, I feel O-level seminars are good but don't go for the ones where there are like 50 pax or more in the workshop. Those large groups really won't allow the students to ask questions for their final touch-up.
Are there any small group workshops for Chem and English? I can't seem to find any. I only saw the big ones from the big tuition chains but I don't really trust them....

penmighty
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by penmighty » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:53 am

TheAnswer wrote:Supposed to be pretty relaxed for students who are well prepared.
I hope it's the case. but my boy really needs to whack on his head to wake up and face reality!!! Sigh. There's only so much we can do

jazzy817
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jazzy817 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:03 pm

penmighty wrote:
rosemaryherb wrote:haha mine was quite relaxed~~~until last week when his daddy gave a pep talk. Maybe you should do that to?

Are there any small group workshops for Chem and English? I can't seem to find any. I only saw the big ones from the big tuition chains but I don't really trust them....
My boy only attended one for maths and one for English. The math one was a big group, so so lah I feel. It's good for an intensive 1 day revision. But the English one that my son went to was a small group of 5 students. The English one was much better because the teacher got some secret info and strategies to teach for O-level English.

jazzy817
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by jazzy817 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:05 pm

Here's the contact...not sure if you could find a place since it's always fully booked

https://www.eventbrite.sg/e/o-level-eng ... 30?aff=es2

Schootopia
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:12

Post by Schootopia » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:52 pm

applywhatyoulearn wrote:
Schootopia wrote:some teachers hold off-the record "secret" revision lessons, beyond the normal scheduled revision lessons ... for those who desperately need something last minute ... but no formal teaching, just practicing revision papers.

Then there are students in the high A category who simply MC most revision days ...

... if student got a C or a D for prelim, all depends if he/she is happy with getting that for the finals.
It is absolutely unethical to hold off 'secret' techniques. Can u imagine if your child is a 'victim' of such teachers or tutors?
Students who pay and go for additional lessons/tuition are supposed to be taught the techniques. That is the purpose of the lessons. Otherwise why waste time and money on extra lessons if they are so generic? It is the skills and answering techniques that they need to learn to produce results.
'Secret' revision lessons referred to extra
sessions beyond planned classes in a top-tier school, supervised by school teacher.

It's alarming how poor some graduate is at simple English comprehension.

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:30

Post by TheAnswer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 pm

What an insult to that person? Why would extra sessions be termed as ‘secret’ revision lessons?

It’s alarming for service providers to display such behaviour.