2018-IP year 1 (Born in 2005)

PSLE marks the graduation of Primary school students and their entry into Secondary schools as teenagers. Discuss all issues about Secondary schooling here.
scotia
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: 2018-IP year 1 (Born in 2005)

Post by scotia » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:13 pm

bestwishes wrote:
scotia wrote:
yap_susan wrote:Any idea how IP curriculum is like? Any similiarity to secondary subjects?
I tot the subjects are more or less the same as O level, just a few additional programmes and the way that it's being taught and at a much faster pace. Am I right or wrong?? :?
yes, at a faster pace and not just O level syllabus, some topics cover wider or deeper scopes
Can't wait to look at the booklist :stompfeet:

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:29 pm

scotia wrote: For my DD pri school, HMTL was taught during curriculum time, P6 can go home everyday at 1.30pm :cool:
What surprised me was last wk during open house(Cedar), i was told that all Cedarian(those learning Chinese) will be taking Higher Chinese regardless of whether they took HMTL in pri school!! So no need to select on 22nd Dec, registration day.
Envy! My DD1 had to stay back for after school supplementary classes, then proceed to take HMT after that. I fetches her after 4.30pm.

Oh, I have no idea whether it’s compulsory for all SCGS IP girls to take HMT. Will try to find out more on 22nd. I hope the HMT lessons can be taught during school hours. :xedfingers:

emoh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by emoh » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 pm

lee_yl wrote:
bestwishes wrote:
scotia wrote:
I tot the subjects are more or less the same as O level, just a few additional programmes and the way that it's being taught and at a much faster pace. Am I right or wrong?? :?
yes, at a faster pace and not just O level syllabus, some topics cover wider or deeper scopes
Hi bestwishes,

Can you recommend us some guide/assessment books for Sec 1 IP? Thanks.
https://shinglee.com.sg/publications_de ... BookID=117

emoh
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:9

Post by emoh » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:16 pm

lee_yl wrote:
scotia wrote: For my DD pri school, HMTL was taught during curriculum time, P6 can go home everyday at 1.30pm :cool:
What surprised me was last wk during open house(Cedar), i was told that all Cedarian(those learning Chinese) will be taking Higher Chinese regardless of whether they took HMTL in pri school!! So no need to select on 22nd Dec, registration day.
Envy! My DD1 had to stay back for after school supplementary classes, then proceed to take HMT after that. I fetches her after 4.30pm.

Oh, I have no idea whether it’s compulsory for all SCGS IP girls to take HMT. Will try to find out more on 22nd. I hope the HMT lessons can be taught during school hours. :xedfingers:
Secondary school if you do HMT you will not need to do MT, so should be during curriculum hours unlike primary school

bestwishes
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by bestwishes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:29 pm

lee_yl wrote:
bestwishes wrote:
Hi bestwishes,

Different schools have slightly different IP syllabus for each level, so there is not really any common IP books for all IP schools.

scotia
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by scotia » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:11 am

bestwishes wrote:
lee_yl wrote:
bestwishes wrote:
Hi bestwishes,

Different schools have slightly different IP syllabus for each level, so there is not really any common IP books for all IP schools.
I am not looking into assessment books for now because really dunno what to expect.... but I don't mind getting some Literature books or good reading materials, my dd loves to read. Any interesting books to recommend?

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:69

Post by Estéema » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:33 am

scotia wrote:
scotia wrote:
yap_susan wrote:Any idea how IP curriculum is like? Any similiarity to secondary subjects?
Can't wait to look at the booklist :stompfeet:

Hv u checked the school website for booklist or call the school bookshop?

We made a trip and was told the bookshop packed entire lot by level alr. Ready to chart home even before 22 Dec! :evil:

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:01 am

emoh wrote:
lee_yl wrote:

Secondary school if you do HMT you will not need to do MT, so should be during curriculum hours unlike primary school
Ah... I didn’t know that.
Initially thought need to stay back twice a week for CCA and HMT, may need to give up DD1’s violin lessons.
Thanks for sharing.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:08 am

bestwishes wrote:
lee_yl wrote:
bestwishes wrote:
Hi bestwishes,

Maybe that’s why parents here kept saying there’s a lack of practice materials for IP students. :roll:

bestwishes
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by bestwishes » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:08 am

lee_yl wrote:
bestwishes wrote:
bestwishes wrote:
Maybe that’s why parents here kept saying there’s a lack of practice materials for IP students. :roll:
Actually for IP schools such as NUSH, school materials are more than enough for survival.
For parents who really think their kids need more practices and have time, they can just get the O level and A level books. If not wrong, most IP schools cover O level syllabus in less than 4 years (faster pace) & different topic sequence (that means in Y1 may be need both sec 1 & 2 books and in Y2 may be need sec 2 & 3 books etc)