[Alexandra/Bukit Merah/Queenstown/Tiong Bahru] Preschools

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
NFN08
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: [Alexandra/Bukit Merah/Queenstown/Tiong Bahru] Preschool

Post by NFN08 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:50 am

xlan wrote:my boy had a 1 day trial class, he loves bloomberry very much, and me too! I share the same sentiments as thundertomb, like the clean env, small ratio, and engaging learning experience that bloomberry offers. on that evening when we returned from his trial class, my mom commented that he was exceptionally happy and he even asked me to bring him to the new school from next day onwards, he jus can't wait to start in the new school. so we paid deposit and completed the registration, but will only start his lesson next Jan, in K1 class. both of us looking forward to the new school! *cheers*
hi babe..
need help for son k2 in 2016.
just moved place so need a school for him asap.

hows bloomberry? u seem happy...im interested too now.. lol
care to share whats the monthly fees and if there is transport?

whats the time like for school and the language taught there..
appreciate ur help.

firstimemom
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by firstimemom » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:31 am

Hihi...

Any review on Superland Pre-school (Outram Campus)?

princezjo
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by princezjo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:26 pm

Hi! I happened to check into this thread. My children are both from The Chinese Kindergarten with the younger one graduating this year so here is my two cents worth of the school... Unlike Primary school, parents has greater flexibility in moving schools for Kindy.

Chinese Kindy has a huge playground (super like for the kids) and generally, kids come back happy from school. The school experience starts from taking the school bus. The two school bus drivers I had were really good and responsible. Seldom will u see a school bus driver coming out from the bus every time to carry the kids down personally, stopping the traffic and help mummies with younger kids etc... All just to ensure the kids board and get down the bus safely :)

Curriculum wise, Pre N and N are about settling in. Yes, no doubt the emphasis is on Chinese in terms of enrichment programs like Chinese calligraphy, Tang Poem Recitation, Chinese Dictionary usage skills (comes in really handy when kid enters Primary Sch.. I can vouch for this!), Chinese painting etc. However, other lessons like English (of coz!), Math, Speech & Drama (by Helen O'Grady), Gymnatics by external professionals, Hip Hop Dance, Music are conducted in English. These are part of the curriculum when the child is in K1 & K2.

There are other interesting optional enrichment (pay extra fees) like abacus, art, in-line skating, ballet, Chinese speech & drama, Hanyu Pinyin skills, etc conducted via external providers. The morning session children can come back with the afternoon session kids after enrichment. The troublesome part in terms of logistics will be for afternoon sessions kids that wants to attend optional enrichment.

Eng & Chinese Form Teachers rotate each year. Overall, we like the emphasis on Chinese, as it complements our requirements since we have no issues preparing the children Eng and Math on our own but Chinese is well... Not so easy right :) Chinese Kindy provides a holistic and fun environment to engage the children's interest and equip our "potato" kids with the necessary skills for Chinese. Most of the children that graduates goes on to qualify for higher Chinese and are mostly in the top classes in the nearby primary schools that has a strong emphasis on Chinese.

The principal is very hands on too and she will test each and every K1 & K2 child for English reading fluency at the end of each semester. She knows the children personally - by name and personality too. Overall, the school may seem strict and don't allow parents to look in too often, u can be sure the children are in good hands coz my children are vocal and they comes back happy. A homework bag is returned every Friday for parents to be updated of the curriculum with sample worksheets of what they did in class. If U're looking for a worksheet drilling environment, then this school may not fit your criteria. However, if U're looking for a holistic environment where the children can enjoy their childhood while learning about values, discipline, empathy & caring for special needs kids (there are quite a few) and a happy child that enjoyed learning Chinese, then this is the right place for u :) English wise, the K2s got to do Public Speaking conducted by external environment and my children has no problem reading thin chapter books by the commencement of K2. They did some Science experiments and had frequent show and tell for English from K1 as well. Math wise, the pace will not be Montessori standard and more laid back in that sense but that wasn't an issue, as the greater requirement was to ignite their interest for learning. My elder is coping well in Primary school too.

Lim_lim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Lim_lim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:53 am

Need Feedback on Rainbow Cove Preschool

Have anyone been to Rainbow Cove Preschool at The Alexis?

I've visited the centre 2 weeks ago(Was recommended by friends). And i love the environment and montessori way of teaching.
They adopt the Reggio Emilia approach which most of the school dont have it. I find it really amazing.
I would love to enrol my 2 year old daughter next year.

zhen_mummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by zhen_mummy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 pm

Hi Lim

My child is in Rainbow Cove Preschool for almost a year.
Their worksheets and syllabus are good. The teachers really push even at nursery level with lots of hands on learning. They also have phonics. If u are talking about play and learn type for ur kids maybe this is not a good one. But if u are the kiasu parents must have lots of learning then this will be the GOOD place.
Place is rather small. But there are different kind of play activity for the children daily.
There is Morning and Afternoon session.
You may ask for trial lesson etc....

happydaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by happydaddy » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:39 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCS_MWnRGlc

Funny. Entertainment purpose.

Ktsy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Ktsy » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:25 pm

My girl has been at bloomberry infant care since she was six months old. We like the teachers and environment very much. Everytime we fetch her from school, we always see teachers reading or playing with her. They have a large play area which is filled with lots of toys. The centre serves organic food once a week too!

ju.exists
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ju.exists » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:49 am

Hullo everyone .
Am new and a new sahm too with an 18 mth old boy.
I have looked at this thread and considered these preschools for lil man.

1) depot bethesda
Reasonable fees. Teachers and principal seem very involved. Pretty ordinary but came highly recommended by a fren whose gal was there some yrs baxk

2) chinese kindy
We really considered this too. But fees abit steep b gets more ex as child advances. But like the chinese emphasis on calligraphy and idioms etc. I read a recent post by princezjo on this and im wavering again this sounds good! N gym wud be perfect for hyper tot. But seemed kinda a cold environment.

3) maris stella
Also really considered. I felt the warmest here in terms of environmenthaha. Teachers n principal were nice and frenly. Love the large compound. Lots space to run ard. But fren whose kids were there did say tt emphasis isnt really on academics. Plus i felt fees pretty steep too. On par w chinese kindy.

4) queenstown good shepherd
Environment seemed kinda cold.. n pretty ordinary. Fees they charge alot more for kids 2 b in morning session. Pm session much cheaper.

Just wana ask if anyone has other recommendations for a pre sxhool in 2017 that is reasonable ? Did i miss out alot others?

Reasonable as in between 300+-500$ a term?

Chinese kindy for us will be abit of a stretch so still wavering on that count. :sweat:

Thank u much b have a gd week :smile:

ju.exists
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by ju.exists » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:00 pm

Oops sorry i forgot to add that we r moving to ghim moh in a year or two.. but i cant seem to find any there !?

Appreciate if some mummies n daddies cud share thots? :)

Thk u

dottypooh
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:7

Post by dottypooh » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:28 am

Hi ju. exists,

Perhaps one of the area of concern you should look into is transportation. Are you going to send and fetch your child from school?

My daughter was previously from Bethesda deport walk. We were staying in tiong bahru when she was in N1 to K1. We shifted to west coast when she was in K2. We had huge problem with transportation. The school bus provider was not willing to fetch my girl so we had to send her to school ourselves. He was also making a lot of noise on sending my girl back and hence it was a horrible situation to be in. I heard that they have switched to another bus provider who is more friendly. You might want to check that out.

The school provided a good foundation for my girl. She had to perform on stage at least 3 times a year; easter concert, national day concert and year end conCert. The teachers are nurturing and believe in more hands on learning. They do not believe in drilling. Due to this, they do not have English and Chinese spelling. They encourage them to write journal entries. The children learnt how to spell from there. The teachers also instil in the children in self belief and selflessness and determination. These values actually moulded my girl into a model student performing well in primary school, she was in the top 25% in her level, not too bad for someone who has never ever had English and Chinese spelling till P1. In fact, all her classmates are performing well in school.

In any case, you might be on waiting list cause from what I understand, they start receiving applications as soon as the child turns 1 year old for siblings cases. If you are shifting to Ghim Moh, you might want to consider Clementi woods kindergarten. I had wanted to transfer my girl there but she begged to stay in Bethesda. Clementi woods was highly recommended by my friends who are staying in Clementi.