how young did ur child start?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

how young did ur child start?

Postby mrsm » Mon May 24, 2010 12:46 pm

my son is only 6wks old now but i'd like to start researching for short activities he can go for when he turns 4mths or so.. will it be too early? or maybe u can share with me e activities u do with ur child at home? T.I.A!

mrsm
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby anastashia » Mon May 24, 2010 9:30 pm

when my babies r less than 6 mths, i mainly talk to them. whatever i do or wherever i take them, i'll tell them what i'm doing or what they r seeing. as we stay in condo, i let her play in the water often cos she's very active, listen to music, read books and pictures, etc.

i'm not keen in sending my kids to school young cos i feel they've a lifetime to study. i'd rather let them stay by my side to bond with me and enjoy their childhood s much s they can. :D

anastashia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Playgroup for 18-month

Postby edwinie » Mon May 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Hi,
What kind of programme should I enrol my son into at 18-month? Is it some sort of playgroup? I have no idea what to look out for and what kind of curriculum is suitable for him.
As I stay at Toa Payoh, are there any playgroup any parent can recommend to me? I'm looking for those half day programme.
Thanks for helping! I'm totally clueless in this..

edwinie
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Playgroup for 18-month

Postby grapevine » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 pm

Hi. You may want to try out talent plus playgroup. They have many centres - mailnly in RC's and community centres. Try searching for them on the internet.
They have a partial montessori cirriculum.

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Playgroup for 18-month

Postby janjan16 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:02 pm

my girl goes to Startots. I think it is not bad too. They are half montessori and focus on the 8 Multiple Intelligiences. She even brings back a set of flash cards that Startots has created for the pupils so we can reinforce their learning at home. Fees are reasonable i think, though some people feel that they are abit costly.

janjan16
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: how young did ur child start?

Postby Autumn_Leaves » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Mrsm,

There are enrichment classes for infants as young as 6 mhttp://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/user ... 741aff2ths old. Such classes arenot making your child study but let them learn through play. Our daughter went for it at 8mths old.. I kinda regretted not sending her in earlier cos she enjoyed it alot

Autumn_Leaves
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Carolina » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:30 am

I personally don't believe in sending babies to classes before the age of 1 & 1/2 to 2 years old, whether it is to learn through play or otherwise. What benefits babies most is bonding with the parents (& other family members), & there're a lot of things we parents can do to encourage their developments without the need to spend on lessons/enrichment programs. Invest in some simple toys that encourages gross & fine motor skills, hand-eye coordination, & pure fun. Play with them during their waking hours (i.e. when baby is not sleeping or feeding), be it singing, dancing, swinging them in the air, reading, playing toys together (or whatever you can find at home that is safe for them to bang on, etc.), telling them what you're doing while you're doing your chores, taking them along when you go out to run errands so that they can observe the environment around them, etc., etc., etc... However, I draw the line at exposing my kids to the TV before the age of 6 months in order to protect their eyesight. Also, their attention span is too short to draw any real benefits from the programs before they start switching off & stare at the TV blankly, which is actually bad for the brain development.

Carolina
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby phankao » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:39 pm

mrsm wrote:my son is only 6wks old now but i'd like to start researching for short activities he can go for when he turns 4mths or so.. will it be too early? or maybe u can share with me e activities u do with ur child at home? T.I.A!

Don't bother sending for classes lah. Start showing WinktoLearn videos, English and Chinese plus their SingtoLearn videos. You can start now, or at 4mths if you wish. Cheaper than any of those enrichment classes and only needs 2 to 3mins of your time everyday. Don't need to travel some more.

I did that with my youngest and he could read english and chinese by 10months old.

phankao
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ConcernedDaddy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:50 pm

Sent mine for baby swim lessons when he was really young. Think he enjoyed it then.

ConcernedDaddy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care