(Paya Lebar/Macpherson/Geylang MRT) Child care centre

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

(Paya Lebar/Macpherson/Geylang MRT) Child care centre

Postby Charmaine_chong » Mon May 31, 2010 11:38 am

Hi All,

I need to put my kids to child care within months. Appreciate parents comments or recommendation of good child-care around this area.

This is my own observation for the following child care centres.

1. FIRST SKOOL AT HAIG ROAD
It is very spacious and expose children to lots of arts and crafts. Non air-cond but windy.

I left some comments in the thread-My first skool if you are interested to know more.

Generally i find it prepares child reasonably well and much better than PCF kindergarten at BLK 31 that my child attends currently.

2. MACPHERSON SHENG HONG CHILDCARE CENTRE
A mommy told me that her son was there for few months and was very happy about the child care.

She told me that the care-giver was very caring and would give one to one attention for new comer untill they settle down.

Expose child to art and craft n chinese classic since young.

Chinese teacher is from China whereas some English teacher is from Philippines.

I went to this child care years ago. I personally didn't like it much. I will revisit the centre to find out more.

Please post comments here.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JJmom2008 » Mon May 31, 2010 12:40 pm

Charmaine,
I posted at the thread-My first skool abt the branch but that's juz my thoughts on it :wink:

I thought u were pretty happy abt 'Little School Hse' at Fidelio? They do have school buses at quite a few locations.

JJmom2008
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Charmaine_chong » Mon May 31, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi JJmom,

I saw your comments on My First Skool's thread. No worry about it. Just post what we observe. That will be easy for parents to judge.

http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... 2&start=40

Does N1 represents 3 years old kid? My firstskool calls it playgroup, 4yo= nursery, then k1 and k2.

When i was there, the admin staff (an old autie about 50-60 yo) showed me around. She wasn't very sure about curiculums. When i asked further, she would asked me to refer to the notes paste on the wall which i find it not much information i can obtain.

What i want to know is how teacher deliver the lesson not a piece of paper. One can has excellent materials but if the teacher isn't know how to make it fun or think of a way to let the child learn best. It is as good as zero.

All the teachers were busy, no one can really answer me on the academic part in details. The rest are through my own observation as i stayed there for 1-2 hours.

The kindergarten teacher just explained a bit to me which i had posted on the above-mentioned thread but she wasn't have time to revealed much.

If the student need to trace what teacher does, i personally find that this is not a good idea to teach and i don't like it.

Separate sick child from the rest - I find that it is really not easy for 2 adults to look after a group of 16-20 children. I would think that the centre is responsible enough to take the initiative to sponge a child who is sick, informing his/her parents, observant enough about children's behaviour or anything unusual.

I am not sure how centre needs to separate the sick child from the rest bcos usually the space isn't spacious enough to have sick room.
Eventhough they make a call to parents, it takes time for parents to arrive. Some parents may not be able to rush down due to work commitmment.

Exposure of alphabets at age 3 (some calls it N1, My first skool calls it playgroup) is too late?

To me, my son knew all his alphabets and other basics like colours, shapes, numbers at age 3.5 yo. My baby girl knew all of them at age of 18-19months old. That is bcos i never taught my son at all till he turned 3yo.

For me, i am looking a child care whose teacher is caring, teaches good values, prepare them good enough for P1. That means for academic part, the child must be able to read (Peter and Jane book 6-7) and construct simple sentences at k2, know all the simple math concept, +-x/. Speak good english and chinese.

For the same topic teaches though all levels - JJmom, thanks for your good observation on this area. I really have no idea.

My thought is could it be introduced per level basis? May be only recognition of parts of the body & faces for younger group then progress to 5 senses, internal organs, digestive systems, skeleton as they grow.

JJmom, I am very curious how the teachers there deliver their lessons? but sadly i couldn't find out more myself when i was there as eveyone was soooo busy.

For example to teach 5 senses. There are many ways to teach.

1. Use real items to teach eg: fruit to taste, animal to see, perfume to smell, blah.., then follow by a story about 5 senses /songs/rhymes....

2. Purely based on worksheet is the lousiest method.

JJmom, which child care does your child attend?

I find that Little Skool house is too expensive for me. After subsidy is $700++ which is definitely out of my budget. The max i am willing to pay is $400 after subsidy.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JJmom2008 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:16 am

Charmaine_chong wrote:Hi JJmom,

Does N1 represents 3 years old kid? My firstskool calls it playgroup, 4yo= nursery, then k1 and k2.

Yes, i think so.

Charmaine_chong wrote:Separate sick child from the rest - I find that it is really not easy for 2 adults to look after a group of 16-20 children. I would think that the centre is responsible enough to take the initiative to sponge a child who is sick, informing his/her parents, observant enough about children's behaviour or anything unusual.

I am not sure how centre needs to separate the sick child from the rest bcos usually the space isn't spacious enough to have sick room.
Eventhough they make a call to parents, it takes time for parents to arrive. Some parents may not be able to rush down due to work commitmment.

It's a sat when we were there so there were 3 teachers & 1 aunty, with less than 10 kids. I agreed that they r gd enough to take extra care to start sponging the sick child. I don't mean they really need a sick bay but at least not sleeping next to the sick child when napping. Mayb i m more kiasi :oops:

Charmaine_chong wrote:Exposure of alphabets at age 3 (some calls it N1, My first skool calls it playgroup) is too late?

To me, my son knew all his alphabets and other basics like colours, shapes, numbers at age 3.5 yo. My baby girl knew all of them at age of 18-19months old. That is bcos i never taught my son at all till he turned 3yo.

If the student need to trace what teacher does, i personally find that this is not a good idea to teach and i don't like it.

For me, i am looking a child care whose teacher is caring, teaches good values, prepare them good enough for P1. That means for academic part, the child must be able to read (Peter and Jane book 6-7) and construct simple sentences at k2, know all the simple math concept, +-x/. Speak good english and chinese.

Personally i think by 3yo, they shd know A-Z so that they can start to learn phonics & start to do some reading after that?

Yes, i think your basic requirements r similar to mine but seems like even then, it's not easy to find a cc tat can meet them ard our area :stupid:

Charmaine_chong wrote:For the same topic teaches though all levels - JJmom, thanks for your good observation on this area. I really have no idea.

My thought is could it be introduced per level basis? May be only recognition of parts of the body & faces for younger group then progress to 5 senses, internal organs, digestive systems, skeleton as they grow.

JJmom, I am very curious how the teachers there deliver their lessons? but sadly i couldn't find out more myself when i was there as eveyone was soooo busy.

For example to teach 5 senses. There are many ways to teach.

1. Use real items to teach eg: fruit to taste, animal to see, perfume to smell, blah.., then follow by a story about 5 senses /songs/rhymes....

2. Purely based on worksheet is the lousiest method.

Yes, i do think their weekly lesson plan for English class shd b more detailed. But we din get the chance to visit their K1 & K2 class rms so i din get to request to view their worksheet.

But if 1 of the best K2's work is to trace after the teacher's writing, it's enough to make me worried if the cc is prep them well enough for P :|

Charmaine_chong wrote:JJmom, which child care does your child attend?

I find that Little Skool house is too expensive for me. After subsidy is $700++ which is definitely out of my budget. The max i am willing to pay is $400 after subsidy.

Sad to say, bcoz i haven managed to find a cc tat meets my req & is near my inlaw's place so my 19mth gal is still with nanny :(

Hubby is against the idea of changing cc, worried will affect his gal so i will need to really decide on 1 b4 putting our gal in. *stress*

Yes, LSH is ex plus the dist also another issue with my inlaws who will b the 1 picking my gal.

Sigh...still clueless :cry: so if u happen to find any gd cc, pls share with me. Thanks thanks :wink:

JJmom2008
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Charmaine_chong » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Dear JJmom,

Sure, if i found a good one i will definitely post here.

Sigh! not easy.

Basically teachers must be patience and caring, positive attitude instead of focus on child's fault or yelling everyday.

Better get a good one before register your child.

For those with expensive fee, first it is out of my budget, secondly i don't think it will be excellent becos there isn't.

I dont want end of the day with high fee charge,i stil get the comments like sorry yr child is weak in chinese, english.... please send to tuition.

With that kind of money, my expectation definitely couldn't be lower than the $$ i pay out.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Charmaine_chong » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:24 pm

Dear Jjmom,

I have registered my son for MACPHERSON SHENG HONG CHILDCARE CENTRE .

Went to this centre yesterday and found that children are happy and teachers are caring.

Food is quite pathetic, always the same.

For chinese, children are taught to recite san zhi jin, Di Zhi Gui since young and learn Wu Shu for K1 onwards. They use books from Schroll.

For Phonics, i understand that they use Letterland.

They have speech and drama and arts- Both are optional and additional fee apply.

School bus is provided.

Charmaine_chong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care